I "might" have an offer. I'm not going to get into the complexities how I got here, but I withdrew myself from further consideration after a 5 hour in-person interview Saturday morning. I think there was a big misinterpretation on the interviewer's part due to cultural differences and I was very offended. This is for a job here in the US, and even after walking away I am still her number #1 choice out of 4. I think she is sincere and has been contacting me a few times to reconsider.
This job is entirely GIS doing mostly analysis and map making (non-planning). The firm is also "certified" by ESRI for corporate training, and I might be doing training down the road. I taught myself ArcGIS and have 9 years experience but I think there is a huge learning curve for me to get up to speed as a trainer (2-3 months). The position was hourly but she was willing to reconsider after I explained I was laid off due to my last two jobs due to lack of work.
Due to the huge learning curve of getting up to speed with GIS, including enterprise, programming, etc. I am wondering if I can ask for a clause in a letter of offer "protecting" myself from being laid off during the probationary period. After losing my job twice in a short period of time, I am still VERY guarded. Has anyone encountered anything similar? Am I unreasonable in my request?
No, I do not have the letter of offer yet and I'm not waiting for the phone to ring either. I'm getting out two other applications out tonight as I write this.