Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Chinese zodiac thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Chinese zodiac thread

I don't know about you, but I guess I have qualms with some of the Chinese zodiac designations/symbols. I happen to be a dragon, which is about the coolest symbol they have, but if you were born in 1983 you're a.....pig? or if you were born, say, in 1972 you're a rat? I guess certain animals don't carry the same stigma in other cultures as they do here, huh?

So we got any pigs around here? Who are the rats of Cyburbia?

Moderator note:
    oh what the hell. Split from RTDNTOTO6
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Sep 2011 at 12:31 PM.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Who are the rats of Cyburbia?
    I'm a rat.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I really wish I could change my name on here Not that I have anything to hide, just don't like being so visible.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    had a bad day wallowing in self-pity and despair but tomorrow will be better...
    I'm there today, but for no real reason. Hope today is better for you lp!!

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I don't know about you, but I guess I have qualms with some of the Chinese zodiac designations/symbols. I happen to be a dragon, which is about the coolest symbol they have, but if you were born in 1983 you're a.....pig? or if you were born, say, in 1972 you're a rat? I guess certain animals don't carry the same stigma in other cultures as they do here, huh?

Never really looked at this. I was born in 1973, Year of the Ox. And except for the patient part, it's actually very fitting for me.

THE OX — 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009, 2021
    They are steady, honest, gentle and reliable. The Ox builds plans and ideas on firm ground. Patience and hard work bring success to the Ox. They need peace and quiet to work through their ideas and are best left alone to work as they can become hotheaded, inflexible and stubborn when pushed. They are logical and find it hard to forgive if deceived. They prefer a truthful, loyal and committed partner. They work well in careers to do with the earth, visual arts, farming, estate management, cooking, religion and medicine. They are often very skilled with their hands.

Registered
    Jan 2005

I happen to be a wood rat... a fire rat or an Earth Monkey would be fun...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Hmmm.... I am a horse and it sounds like a good thing to be.
    http://www.chinesezodiac.com/horse.php

But then again, have you ever noticed how these never start out with, "It sucks to be you. You have the worst of the signs. Go get a bottle of Jack and get drunk, it might be the best part of your day."
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Me OX too...and closer to accurate than not
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm one of the rats of Cyburbia. I suspect one or two more may surface.

This doesn't describe me, but in some ways I wish it did:

Metal Rats – Years 1900 and 1960
    Metal Rats are strong-willed individuals who are determined to get what they want, regardless of the cost. Intensively emotional, their behavior can border on extreme. Possessive feelings, envy and rage can cause problems. Relationships can be problematic as Metal Rats are obstinate.

Oh, and in case there's a question, I wasn't born in 1900.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    1957 - the Rooster
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Metal rat also not born in 1900.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Dragon - who, btw, needs a pedicure.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm a rabbit.

Classy, sophisticated, expressive, well-mannered and stylish... OK.

...articulate and good communicators which is why friends and acquaintances seek out their advice... um, articulate, maybe, um...

It’s easy to take advantage of Water Rabbits. They’re very supportive of others... sounds familiar.

Registered
    Aug 2009

I thought the correct term is "boar" (according to the paper placemats at my favorite Chinese restaurant). I am a boar
    "I'm a boomerang, doesn't matter how you throw me
    I turn around and I'm back in the game
    Even better than the old me"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kltoomians View post
    I thought the correct term is "boar" (according to the paper placemats at my favorite Chinese restaurant). I am a boar
    According to wikipedia Boar is Japanese zodiac, Pig is Chinese. A fact I enjoy pointing out to my Boar-ish Hubby.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Metal pig, yo.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2005
    Where are the Monkeys?! 1968, baby!

My wife is a Rooster (1969) and so is my brother (1957, like JNA)

Monkeys:
    Inventor, motivator, improviser, quick-witted, inquisitive, flexible, innovative, problem solver, self-assured, sociable, artistic, polite, dignified, competitive, objective, factual, intellectual. Can be egotistical, vain, arrogant, selfish, reckless, snobbish, deceptive, manipulative, cunning, jealous, suspicious.

I don't really see the negative traits as typical of personality. Which is not to say I don't have negative traits - just not these ones. But the others are a pretty good fit.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Another rabbit but I choose to reject being designated personality traits based on zodiacs, astrology signs, etc.

There are only two kinds of people in the world - Sheep...and Sharks. I'm a shark baby! *sarcasm*
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Nov 2009

A fellow horse.

Thank goodness for open spaces, because the Horse needs plenty of room to roam! Energetic, good with money and very fond of travel, Horses are the nomads of the Chinese Zodiac, roaming from one place or project to the next. All of this Sign's incessant activity and searching may be to satisfy a deep-rooted desire to fit in. Paradoxically, Horses feel a simultaneous yearning for independence and freedom.
    Well that certainly fits. I am quite the nomad. At the ripe age of 33 (in 2 days!) I have lived in six states and have moved more times than I can count.
    Horses crave love and intimacy, which is a double-edged sword since it often leads them to feel trapped. Love connections tend to come easily to Horses, since they exude the kind of raw sex appeal that is a magnet to others.
    ahihihi
    This Sign tends to come on very strong in the beginning of the relationship, having an almost innate sense of romance and seduction. Horses are seducers in general; check out any A-list party and you're bound to find the Horse in attendance. This Sign possesses a sharp wit and a scintillating presence; it really knows how to work a crowd.
    Maybe in my 20s. I'm pretty much a home body now. Though, as evidenced here, I am clearly a mad scientist at heart, which should get some points in the wit department.
    Surprisingly, Horses tend to feel a bit inferior to their peers, a misconception that causes them to drift from group to group out of an irrational fear of being exposed as a fraud. An impatient streak can lead Horses to be less than sensitive to others' needs. These colts would rather take a situation firmly in hand as opposed to waiting for others to weigh in or come to terms with it. The lone wolf inside the Horse can at times push others away, but this also makes this Sign stronger and is a key to its success.
    Pretty sure that was "you suck" statement that michaelskis was looking for. At least they ended it on a positive note.
    Horses are self-reliant and, though they might lose interest fast in a tedious, nine-to-five day job, are willing to do the work necessary to get ahead. Horses tend not to look much at the big picture; instead they just follow their whims, which can result in a trail of prematurely ended relationships, jobs, projects and so on. This Sign really knows how to motivate others, though, and get a lot accomplished. Once they find some peace within themselves, they can curb their wandering tendencies and learn to appreciate what's in their own backyard.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Metal Rooster-1981

"Metal Roosters can come off as arrogant and stuck up at times. They need a cushion for that overextended ego and someone to make sure it stays inflated. They are reasonable people who seem to analyze every decision they make and every situation they find themselves in. They are standoffish at times and can let their aggression get in the way of a blossoming friendship or romance. These Roosters should take a breather from their egos long enough to really enjoy what they have to offer."

I'm not sure that describes me at all, no one's ever told me that I have an over-inflated ego Well maybe no know has wanted to tell me...still it seems unlikely.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Another rabbit but I choose to reject being designated personality traits based on zodiacs, astrology signs, etc.

There are only two kinds of people in the world - Sheep...and Sharks. I'm a shark baby! *sarcasm*
    I'm a wascaly wabbit, too.

And there are three kinds of people. Dogs, pigs and sheep... listen to some Pink Floyd young 'un.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I'm a wascaly wabbit, too.

And there are three kinds of people. Dogs, pigs and sheep... listen to some Pink Floyd young 'un.
    Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell....listen to some Cake, man. It complements the Pink Floyd nicely.

I'm a pig, by the way. I'm also unsure of my Chinese Zodiac sign.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell....listen to some Cake, man. It complements the Pink Floyd nicely.

I'm a pig, by the way. I'm also unsure of my Chinese Zodiac sign.
    But not a boar... they took away your "boar card."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wood Monkey. That explains lots of things because everything is better with a wooden monkey.

The Wood Monkey’s exceptional communication skills enable them to interact well with others. They’re hard workers who have a keen understanding of the way things operate.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Rooster? I think I missed orientation. Gemini fits much better.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Did your Zodiac Sign Change?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Jan 2011, 1:43 AM
  2. It's the Chinese Cyburbia!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 01 Jul 2010, 3:05 PM
  3. Ever heard of Chinese drywall?