Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to help people who are drunk....

Registered
    Dec 2008

How to help people who are drunk....

I have no experience with alcohol. Not a drop (no pun intended). My brother recently went through a bad divorce, and apparently has started to drink again. He drank some in college, but never much.

He called me the other night from a bar, and said he needed a ride. I went down and picked him up. He seemed OK, but had been sick. As we were driving away I asked him he needed anything.

ursus: "Do you need anything? Do you want something to eat?"

brother: "Oh don't say that, pull over pull over pull over - bleeeeeeeech".

Clearly, I need to be educated in the proper care of people who have had a little too much. He slept on my couch and was fine, but I want to be better prepared next time. I thought it might be fun to ask Cyburbia's finest for advice in the matter. Any takers?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Drunk people are basically impossible to deal with. They thrive on drama.

Basically if you're drunk and around sober people you don't notice and assume everyone is in the same boat.

If you're sober and around drunk people you want to go on a shooting spree
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Drunk people are basically impossible to deal with. They thrive on drama.
    -!
    He was actually very funny. He's wound really tightly normally, and was funny funny, laughing etc., and pleasant.

I'm just fuzzy on when you should give them something to eat, or maybe water? Or what. It was very late, and he had to be at work (ahem) early in the morning. Couldn't call in late or anything. I'd like to know...you know, the "tricks" I guess, if there are any?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Give them two aspirin and a glass of water for the morning.

Put a bucket or small trash can next to where they're sleeping.

If they are extremely drunk, roll them on their stomach, so they don't drown.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    As I noted in another forum about kids, drunk people are like children after 7pm. You can't teach them anything, so don't even try. Seriously, if you have anything important to tell someone, wait until they are sober. Until then, you're really just a taxi driver. Except yuou won't get paid...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Picking him up was the best thing you could do. And what Mastiff said.

I hope this way of coping is temporary.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Lucky for you he was "pleasant"; so many aren't.

Steer them to a flat surface (couch or bed); encourage copious amounts of water. No coffee, it's dehydrating like alcohol. Video if they're really funny or if need a reminder of how stupid they were. Aleve for headache; tylenol and some other headache remedies can cause all kinds of crap, including death, after copious amounts of alcohol; never give aspirin to a pre-menopausal woman, if she's on her period, she will bleed like you wouldn't believe (think of your furniture).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Clearly, I need to be educated in the proper care of people who have had a little too much. He slept on my couch and was fine, but I want to be better prepared next time. I thought it might be fun to ask Cyburbia's finest for advice in the matter. Any takers?
    1. Get the drunk situated where they can't hurt themselves.
    2. Get them bread or breadlike products (pizza is great)
    3. Have them drink as much water as they can.
    4. Get a "spew in this" cup or bucket and place it within reach.
    5. Turn on the TV or a movie and let sit for at least until the sun comes up.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sounds like you did everything right. You provided transportation when he needed it, you took care of him, offering food is a good thing (acts like a sponge - been to many a Waffle House at 2:00 am). Don't lecture him. It seems right now that his drinking is just a phase because of the divorce. Main thing, be his buddy and his brother.

Excellent suggestions had already been made. You could also have fun with a passed out brother. Just don't write on his face with a sharpie...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Perfect advice guys. I appreciate it. He's a good guy, just a rough time. And actually, it's nice to have him around more (kind of a work-a-holic usually) even if it involves him sleeping on the couch.

Thanks again!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    As someone that spent a year and half as a fraternity's risk manager here is what I learned from experience and multiple discussions with ER nurses and doctors:

It is better to have a drunk person sleep on their side rather than stomach...put pillows behind them to prevent them from rolling over.

Aspirin is of no help and can upset their stomach...resulting in

If you put them on a bed or couch make sure they cannot hit their head on a night stand or coffee table. If they are really drunk then its best to leave them in the bathroom or kitchen on the floor...they could soil themselves.

The barf bag is a must.

If they are so drunk they are incoherent and feel clammy its best if they do not sleep. If they do fall asleep, wake them up every 2-3 hours to ensure they have not slipped into a coma. They will probably make little more than grunt and try to get you to leave. Those are both positive signs.

Keep a sharpie or permanent marker nearby...you could feel the need to draw on them.

If mildly drunk get them liquid and food. I prefer pedilite or coconut water over sports drinks and water. ZG is right, no coffee. Both of them have a good mix of electrolytes etc which will speed up the hydration process.

If you are going out with friends and know they are going to hit the sauce hard make sure they eat a large meal and try to get them to drink water throughout the night.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Water, b-12, a hard/solid surface to sleep on or near by and finally, take their phone away from them to avoid drunk texting, fb-ing or dialing...
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum:604475
    Water, b-12, a hard/solid surface to sleep on or near by and finally, take their phone away from them to avoid drunk texting, fb-ing or dialing...
    Make them read RJ pwi posts.

Registered
    May 2005
    Permanent markers. Teach them to not get so drunk.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The best and most helpful thing you can do is place them laying down in a comfortable location and then sing old Women's Christian Temperance Union songs (lips that touch wine shall never touch mine...), followed by a long harangue concerning the evils of alcoholic spirits. This will either reform their moral character or put them to sleep and no longer noisy/rowdy drunks. Time tested and true

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    ..... take their phone away from them to avoid drunk texting, fb-ing or dialing...
    OOOH, good one!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Apart from the comfort care and taxi services that others have posted some gentle nudging into some divorce recovery counseling might not be a bad idea.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Apart from the comfort care and taxi services that others have posted some gentle nudging into some divorce recovery counseling might not be a bad idea.
    Thanks, kjel. That's true. I decided not to draw on him with sharpies or sing hymns, etc (although I enjoyed those suggestions, guys) because we have the same mother.

I am trying to stay in more constant contact with him so we can talk more about the divorce and how he feels and all, hoping that it will keep him from binge drinking and hurthing himself.

Oh yeah, and of course, I am hugging him a lot. He REALLY hates that.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Really greasy fast food is great for hangovers or to have before you start drinking...especially fries...something that will soak up all that liquor and fill you up. A big breakfast (think eggs and hash browns and toast) is also good.

But probably not a good idea to eat fast food if you're really drunk and on the verge of throwing up. It will only exacerbate things.

But one time, I remember going to work after a night of heavy drinking and felt like crap all morning, and was still feeling kinda sick. But as soon as I got a whopper, fries, and a carbonated caffeinated beverage (to settle the stomach and wake me up) from Burger King for lunch, I felt better almost immediately.

--

Oh yeah, and as others have said, definitely take away the phone and Internet. My one friend is notorious for drinking-and-texting. I also had to take away his keys one time.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Make them read RJ pwi posts.
    Off-topic:
    Stop that! I haven't done that in a long time. Nor have I DD in a long time...but it is a three-day weekend.

Registered
    May 2004
    Its a long distance but also a very small distance from visibly wasted to puking/pass out drunk. I'm guessing/hoping if your brother has never been a big drinker, once he hits the puking/pass out drunk stage once he will tame his drinking.

I heard the mention of Aspirin, but AFAIK aspirin and alcohol is a very dangerous combination and can be toxic to your liver. If any pain medicine is chosen - IBprufin is a safer bet.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stupid drunk things
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 25 Mar 2011, 9:40 PM
  2. America's most drunk cities
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 5:49 PM
  3. Embarrassing drunk tales
    Friday Afternoon Club