Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sleeper schools suggestions

Registered
    Sep 2011

Sleeper schools suggestions

I plan on applying to graduate programs this fall/winter and am applying to some of the stronger programs at state schools mainly in the Midwest and Pacific Northwest. I was hoping to add a program that offers a very good education, but may be a bit of a sleeper - basically to ensure that I will have at least one financially feasible option. Ideally, this would be a program that offers a curriculum that allows students a broad base of exposure to the various specialties. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Since you mentioned the Midwest, I'll throw one suggestion out there for you: Louisville. I almost* went there for the Urban and Public Affairs Ph.D. program, which shares faculty with the MUP program. The professors I talked to there were highly-regarded, ridiculously-accomplished, and quite personable. I know the program is often overlooked, but it shouldn't be. Louisville is a great learning laboratory.

*I chose to pursue my Ph.D. at a school with a couple of faculty members whose research interests more closely aligned with mine.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006

UBC

I don't know what type of planning you're interested in, but just going on your criteria of a low-cost public school in the Northwest, UBC fits the bill. It's accredited in the USA (only school in Canada as far as I know), and its international student tuition is cheaper than many US schools' in-state tuition.

But it's not that easy to get in.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'd look at Clemson then. They're only like two hours from Atlanta and offer a decent number of assistantships. The program is a generalist program so it doesn't have any strict specializations.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions. Currently I am looking at GT, Portland State, Cincinnati, UIC, UIUC, Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, and VT - I'm looking to narrow my choices down to 5 schools to send applications to. Seeing the feedback others have received on this board - I feel that I have a good shot at all of those programs (though I recognize that some of these programs are significantly more competitive than others), but my concern largely surrounds receiving adequate financial aid.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Nov 2011, 12:24 AM
  2. Vancouver - suggestions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Oct 2005, 10:43 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Mar 2005, 5:25 PM
  4. Hygene Suggestions
    Friday Afternoon Club