Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portfolio - how do I create one?

Registered
    May 2003

Portfolio - how do I create one?

OK, so I'm getting old and don't know all of the ins and outs of current technology. After the first 18 years of my career in the public sector, I've spent the last 7 as a consultant and have put together a nice body of work. Now I'm thinking of getting back in the job market (must be old - is this a sign of dementia?) and want to be able to share examples of my work with prospective employers.

Can anyone recommend how to do this? I've searched the threads in this forum and I don't see anything related to software, etc. needed to create a portfolio. I also see that some create them in HTML for personal websites. I don't really want to do it that way, since I want to control who sees the portfolio (and I don't want to advertise to my current employer that I am seeking other opportunities).

I know that newer versions of Acrobat have a tool to aggregate .pdfs into a single "portfolio" but (if I understand it correctly) this requires the reader to have a version of Acrobat, and the user interface in Acrobat is kinda chunky and unattractive. Is there any other program out there that lets you create a file that "holds" your work examples and resumes and lets the reader "link" to them from an attractive home page? Or is there a way to make Acrobat do this in a more elegant way?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk View post
    Can anyone recommend how to do this? I've searched the threads in this forum and I don't see anything related to software, etc. needed to create a portfolio. I also see that some create them in HTML for personal websites. I don't really want to do it that way, since I want to control who sees the portfolio (and I don't want to advertise to my current employer that I am seeking other opportunities).
    I'll just throw out the suggestion that you can make a page (for example, carbonmade is pretty easy) and don't necessarily have to advertise that you are looking for new work. You can simply look at it as a way of keeping your information/work history up to date.

I haven't tried doing what you suggest with Acrobat, so I can't really say how easy or effective it is...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    OK, so I'm getting old and don't know all of the ins and outs of current technology. After the first 18 years of my career in the public sector, I've spent the last 7 as a consultant and have put together a nice body of work. Now I'm thinking of getting back in the job market (must be old - is this a sign of dementia?) and want to be able to share examples of my work with prospective employers.

I know that newer versions of Acrobat have a tool to aggregate .pdfs into a single "portfolio" but (if I understand it correctly) this requires the reader to have a version of Acrobat, and the user interface in Acrobat is kinda chunky and unattractive. Is there any other program out there that lets you create a file that "holds" your work examples and resumes and lets the reader "link" to them from an attractive home page? Or is there a way to make Acrobat do this in a more elegant way?

Create a wordpress website for free. Get free plugins for portfolio management. Upload all your work, and let the little fairies behind the code show it off. Like here - http://demo.wordspop.com/fotofolio/
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Turn each sample into its own PDF. For instance, you wrote a bang-up knock-down SLU review of several pages. PDF it and give a distinctive title.

Uploading these as links to a Wordpress site or equivalent would afford a measure of explanatory text, and you could even include photos (before & after) which would not have been part of your review.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Is there any other program out there that lets you create a file that "holds" your work examples and resumes and lets the reader "link" to them from an attractive home page? Or is there a way to make Acrobat do this in a more elegant way?

Most versions of Acrobat, not Acrobat Reader, allow you to insert and delete pages. In Acrobat you can also select text and create links, that either link to another page in the document (and/or at a different zoom) or link to other PDFs or the internet. Some smart PDFs have indexes full of blue underlined links like this. Another way is to create a button from scratch in Acrobat.

You always run the risk of your employer finding your work when you put it on the internet. You can either (A) make a log-in and password or (B) distribute your portfolio in emails or hard copies on disc. If you do (B) you should also tailor your work to the position you are applying for. For uniformity you may want to consider using InDesign (download a trial) and create uniform headers, footers, or watermarks.

Hope this helps-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i've been tinkering with this for a while now for a variety of different uses--it's still in the alpha development stage, but i think it's stable enough for your purposes. It would allow you to have an online portfolio without having to write the html code.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Jan 2012, 7:24 PM
  2. Create a new APA division
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 19 Dec 2006, 10:11 AM
  3. Create a Band 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 16 Jul 2003, 11:47 AM