Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Historic preservation challenge - historic vs. contributing vs. non-contributing

Registered
    Sep 2011

Historic preservation challenge - historic vs. contributing vs. non-contributing

Hello Fellow Planners,

I'm seeking input on a historic preservation challenge that we're facing. Currently, there are 7 historic districts located within the City. Each district was designated and added after their structures were surveyed (and deemed contributing or non-contributing depending on age, characteristics, etc.) at various times within the last 20 years. My historic board just recently denied the demo of a project based on the fact that they deemed the structure "historic" - that is 50 years or older, even though it was not considered contributing at the time of the survey (but would be now if resurveyed). The applicant also submitted a replacement structure design that was not compatible with the neighborhood. They have decided to come back to the HPB with a new design and argue the "non-contributing" and "historic" point.

The question is, how does your organization deal with historic structures that are not considered "contributing", but are considered "historic" by age and/or located within a historic district. Also, do you have a definition of a historic structures within your regulations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Troy
    FLPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Ahh, we are grappling with a similar issue and the best solution is to update your district surveys to include those structures that are now over 50 years old (I won't go into my opinion of the 50-year "rule", but I view it as a guideline in the legislation, not a hard and fast rule). The key is to figure out your period of significance for each district and look at all the structures build during that time period.

Another tool to deal with your situation is to have a Zoning Overlay district to control aesthetics of infill and new development in your historic districts. Anyways, we paid a local HP consultant to update our survey and are in the process now of submitting those to our SHPO office for consideration. Best of Luck from a former Floridian!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    ... the best solution is to update your district surveys to include those structures that are now over 50 years old (I won't go into my opinion of the 50-year "rule", but I view it as a guideline in the legislation, not a hard and fast rule). The key is to figure out your period of significance for each district and look at all the structures build during that time period.
    I would concur. If the period of significance of a district is 1890-1936, then the 1959 brick ranch that was built there would probably be non-contributing, but a survey would be the way to know for sure. If you can't pay for the full survey or need answers now, perhaps someone at the SHPO, such as the register coordinator or certified local government person, could come out and tour your district and offer some thoughts/technical assistance?

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations. My board has recommended that the city resurvey those areas again; however, until that happens we are trying to justify staff and the board's direction to deny the demolition. Our historic preservation ordinance doesn't distinguish contributing vs. non-contributing structures and only refers to "historic structures". I'm am trying to determine whether that definition alone with justify our denial.

Doc, our 1950's homes in this area are definitely nothing special, but they do show a good transition from our 1930's to the 1954 homes. Our concern is that approval of this demolition project will set a precedence for some of the other homes that this organization has purchased outside of their campus area.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 9:57 AM
  2. MS historic preservation?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 10:41 AM
  3. My historic preservation gig
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 May 2007, 10:57 AM