Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Real cover letter and resume critiques

Registered
    May 2009

Real cover letter and resume critiques

I'd like to get a critique from someone who is or has been the first line in sorting resumes for city planning positions. I am applying for an entry level job with just a bachelor's degree and lots of experience. But beyond that, all the resume reviews I get at workforce centers and recruiting agencies don't really grasp what employers in our field look for. I get all this jargon that applies mostly to administrative and IT positions. Is anyone else getting poor resume evaluations from "experts" who don't understand built environment careers?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    PM me with an example and I'll critique it. I have review hundreds of applications in the last year alone. Not accepting any now.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I too have reviewed resumes and coverletters for fellow planners who have been out of work over the last two years. I appreciated the help when I was out of work and would love to pay it forward. PM me your email address and I will write you with mine.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    I too have reviewed resumes and coverletters for fellow planners who have been out of work over the last two years. I appreciated the help when I was out of work and would love to pay it forward. PM me your email address and I will write you with mine.
    Me three. Plus I'm in the neighborhood. It's a sprawled McSuburb, but still.

Registered
    May 2009
    Well, I am at a loss as to how to share my resume through email and PM in this forum which is discouraging because I really am a tech savvy person. Anyway, thanks for the offers to help. I wonder if there would be any interest in setting up a subtopic in the Career Development and Advice section for resume critiques. I can understand not wanting to have resume and CV postings, but a little peer perspective might be a good resource.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by kw5280 View post
    Well, I am at a loss as to how to share my resume through email and PM in this forum which is discouraging because I really am a tech savvy person. Anyway, thanks for the offers to help. I wonder if there would be any interest in setting up a subtopic in the Career Development and Advice section for resume critiques. I can understand not wanting to have resume and CV postings, but a little peer perspective might be a good resource.
    Send your benefactors a private message with your real e-mail in it, and they will send you theirs.

HTH

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kw5280 View post
    Moderator note:
    You're welcome to start a legitimate "crit my resume" thread. You can attach a resume to a post (you've got enough posts), or use a free service like Pastebin or Scribd. Please be aware of the risks that come from posting too much personally identifying information in public. I'm going to modify permissions so only those logged in to Cyburbia may see and download attachments.

Several years ago, Cyburbia allowed users to post resumes and CVs. There were several problems, though, the biggest being that people would post resumes but never return to participate in the Forums, users never removed resumes after they landed jobs, and the majority of resumes were from India.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2010
    I had no idea people would be nice enough to do this.

Otis, Tide and ColoGI: can I still get in on this? I had my resume critiqued by my advisor before, but never by a professional planner. As a broke graduate student I can't offer much, but promise to say a prayer for each of you

Dan: how come I'm unable to PM other cyburbians?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by urbanoid View post
    Dan: how come I'm unable to PM other cyburbians?
    Moderator note:
    You need two more posts to send PMs. Spammers are the reason why new users can't have nice things right away.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2010
    I do not want to steal this thread or create another like it but is anyone else willing to take a quick look and comment on/critique a resume from a recent graduate?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Anybody care to also give me some feedback on my resume. I'm going to use it for both job interviews and grad schools applications.

Thanks.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Always happy to help recent grads. If you want you can email me your resume, it may take me a few days to turn it around. My email address can be found on my blog. Link below.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Tide

I have sent you an e-mail

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    What might work is once you have reviewed a resume, post your critique here, but remove the identifying details, or just generalize the comments, like "put skills up front" or w/e

That way it will be useful to many people, and people can critique their own resumes accordingly. Seems like more reward for the effort imho.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    VXW While I do think that would be helpful (posting a critique of a resume on here) there are often so many identifying issues on resumes and I believe they are still very personal and if everyone's resume looked the same it wouldn't allow those resumes that went the extra mile to stand out.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    May 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Always happy to help recent grads. If you want you can email me your resume, it may take me a few days to turn it around. My email address can be found on my blog. Link below.
    I'll be emailing mine to you as well. Thanks for the offer.

Registered
    Jun 2010
    Would anybody be willing to take a look at mine?
    Otis?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Just curious, but for someone with a Bachelor's in planning, military service, is AICP, and who has had two planning/ED related jobs (one of them for 8 years), would it be better to do a chronological or a functional resume? I have about 9 years total job experience. This would be for looking for a mid-level position in ED or similar field. Is there a preference by those who evaluate resumes which type you use? For someone with my experience level which would be better?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Just curious, but for someone with a Bachelor's in planning, military service, is AICP, and who has had two planning/ED related jobs (one of them for 8 years), would it be better to do a chronological or a functional resume? I have about 9 years total job experience. This would be for looking for a mid-level position in ED or similar field. Is there a preference by those who evaluate resumes which type you use? For someone with my experience level which would be better?
    For sure go with functional versus chronological. If you need an example, pm me and I can shoot mine over to you.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Is the resume review office still open? Would anyone like to take a quick look at mine? It's more a CV format because I'm sending it here and overseas...any input would be gratefully received.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs View post
    Is the resume review office still open? Would anyone like to take a quick look at mine? It's more a CV format because I'm sending it here and overseas...any input would be gratefully received.
    Yo!

need at least ten characters

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    For sure go with functional versus chronological. If you need an example, pm me and I can shoot mine over to you.
    Thanks for the tip. BTW, PM sent.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I've now helped and given advice to 7 cyburbians. I hope my service has helped I'd be interested to hear back from those of you who I've helped to see if you took any advice, if it is working, and what wasn't helpful. I enjoy helping my fellow planners and know what you are going though, I too had a 13 month lapse in employment, and had help from people during that time so I'm paying it forward. But I know I have more to learn regarding resumes as well, since resume writing is a constantly evolving art.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jun 2010
    I have been working on my resume. I had friends review it but they aren't planners. Would it be wise to start a thread and just post the body of the resume without personal information? I don't have enogh posts for PMing, but i am open to suggestions.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    FYI to all. I am open to reviewing resumes, however for those with low post counts, at least contribute to this forum instead of doing a blow-n-go
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cover letter - P/T job
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Feb 2011, 1:13 AM
  2. Cover letter
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Jun 2005, 1:45 PM