Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hoping to get some salary input - sr position in planning

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007

Hoping to get some salary input - sr position in planning

I'm hoping to get some input on what people think is an appropriate salary range for a senior planning position (Associate Principal level or higher) at a top tier global architecture firm in NY. Any input would be appreciated.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    1/3 the billable rate?

Please elaborate...

How many years experience in planning?
    AICP?
    What is an "associate" principal? Are you also an owner? Do you have to put up collateral as a principal?
    Is there profit sharing?
    Are you also AIA?
    Do you have supervisory experience?
    Have you worked in the private sector before? What type of work have you done, and is it comparable with this firm?
    Have you done architecture projects (because if not, planning will always be an auxillary service in an architecture firm).
    How do you define a "top tier" global architecture firm? Is the headquarters in NYC or elsewhere? Will you be doing projects in NYC, other states, or halfway around the world?

Who do you know?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    How many years experience in planning? 15+, including allied professions
    AICP? yes
    What is an "associate" principal? Are you also an owner? Do you have to put up collateral as a principal? no, I said "or higher"... that's just the most common term... not the one proposed. In any case, I'm talking about the sr non-equity position.. Can't say more than that.
    Is there profit sharing? yes
    Are you also AIA? no, architecture degree (as well as a planning degree) but not licensed
    Do you have supervisory experience? yes
    Have you worked in the private sector before? yes, no public experience
    What type of work have you done, and is it comparable with this firm? yes, this is a logical progression
    Have you done architecture projects (because if not, planning will always be an auxillary service in an architecture firm). yes, and yes, I've been working as a master planner on the AE side for some time, so the role of supporting architects is one I know very well
    How do you define a "top tier" global architecture firm? a large corporate, A, not AE, one of the gang of five, I'm coming from the AE side
    Is the headquarters in NYC? yes
    Will you be doing projects in NYC, other states, or halfway around the world? mostly around the world, some domestic

And yes, I've already answered those questions on the APA salary site gizmo ;P, but there's not enough respondents there for my answers to the questions. I'm just trying to benchmark their proposal.. in my experience, the AE side usually pays better than the A side, so I don't have a good gage.
    Last edited by Cismontane; 11 Sep 2011 at 3:05 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Have they already interviewed you? Have you deferred answering the question during the interview? You are going after a very narrowly-defined position that has very little published salary data. True, it is always good to fall back on published salary reports to back your argument, but sometimes you have to go with your gut instinct, have a number (somewhat higher than normal), and work down from that. It's a guessing game.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Have you deferred answering the question during the interview?
    As I've worked for them on a lot of different projects, unfortunately, they know exactly what I make now. hehe.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Oct 2009, 12:51 PM
  2. Salary survey for planning jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Oct 2009, 1:13 AM
  3. Income Milestones/Planning Salary
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 04 Mar 2005, 1:59 PM