Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for a good 3D urban planning software

Registered
    Sep 2011

Looking for a good 3D urban planning software

Hey fellas, as the title reads I'm looking a good (preferably free) 3d urban planning software. I used to work with "CityScape" from PixelActive, it was pretty easy to use but the company was bought by GPS developers NAVTEQ, so now I can't download it again.

Here are some screenshots of how the software look like (which is kinda what I'm looking for)

Anyway, since that software is no longer available, does anyone know of a similar one that I could use? Which one do you guys use? thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Have you tried Google SketchUp? It's not specifically for planning but it can probably do most everything that you can do with that other software.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    Google Sketchup is your best choice unless you are highly proficient in Autocad and can work their professional 3D software packages. Sketchup's basic package -- which has become more and more basic over the years --, is still free. Autocad will set you back somewhere between $5,000 and $7,000 for the full 3D package.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Agree with everyone regarding Google Sketch up- a number of our urban consultant we engage use this tool as well.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Seems like marketing to me. Who doesn't know the answer that can make drawings like that? Shall I contact the OP to inquire on the consumption of the product?

Registered
    Sep 2011
    I've tried Google Sketch up but I didn't like it :/ I was looking for more of a "city builder" type of program rather than a generic 3D modeling software, cuz for that I'm already using "Blender", which is pretty good but rather hard to create cities with.

Here are some buildings I modeled with Blender

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 3:49 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 9:29 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Apr 2007, 9:04 AM