Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Georgia Tech (Without aid for now) or TAMU (with aid)

Registered
    May 2012

Georgia Tech (Without aid for now) or TAMU (with aid)

Hi,

Background: dual degree in Bachelor of Civil Engineering and M.Sc. Mathematics. My interests are Land use & transportation Planning and applications of Geographic Information System.

Future plans: not sure about a PhD after this but I would like to work in an international consultancy after masters.

I have admits in master of urban planning (MUP) from TAMU with financial aid with grad assistant-ship and in master of city and regional planning (MCRP) from georgia tech (no financial aid and no information on any assistant-ship position yet). I would love to know some feedback about the quality of these programs, possibility of getting assistantship in georgia tech, career services, effects of location, future implications of differing reputations if any.

Please drop in your opinions, I would like to read those.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'd honestly go with Texas A&M. Georgia Tech has a good transportation program but they don't have the Texas Transportation Institute. TTI is the largest transportation research agency in the United States. So if you're interested in transportation at A&M, you'll have a good chance of working with them if you desire.

Then when you consider the financial aid, A&M seems like a good choice to me.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I'd honestly go with Texas A&M. Georgia Tech has a good transportation program but they don't have the Texas Transportation Institute. TTI is the largest transportation research agency in the United States. So if you're interested in transportation at A&M, you'll have a good chance of working with them if you desire.

Then when you consider the financial aid, A&M seems like a good choice to me.
    I agree. Plus you don't want to take on too much debt in this current economy and what we are going to have for an economy for the next decade.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2012

Thanks

Thanks Blide and ColoGI.

Any idea how is their research group in land use planning or GIS?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    TTI don't impress me at all. I have grown tired of them ranking Detroit as one of the Nation's most congested cities, I don't even pay attention to them any longer.

I would agree with ColoGI that dealing with future debt ain't worth the name on the Diploma.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by npd View post
    Any idea how is their research group in land use planning or GIS?
    Land use planning I have no idea about. I know Texas has an interesting case study in Houston in that it's the largest city in the US without zoning. I would imagine they'd give you a sufficient education so you'll at least be able to handle whatever you may find in Texas.

As for GIS, they'll no doubt teach you how to use it. The question is what kind of research do you want to do in regards to GIS? Most planners look at GIS as a tool rather than something that needs to be researched. Some geographers and engineering types care more about what goes into the GIS software than planners do.

Registered
    May 2012
    @Blide: By GIS, I meant only the applications of GIS.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    In that case, you'll definitely get that there. You'll find GIS application in almost every planning program though.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I know Texas has an interesting case study in Houston in that it's the largest city in the US without zoning. .
    With all the other restrictions in place, they have de facto zoning. Nevertheless, I can no longer speak to Detroit's historically horrible congestion (altho I'll experience it when I go back for a wedding), but I find TTI's work useful. Not the bible, but good.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Georgia Tech application
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 25 Jun 2010, 10:15 PM
  2. Georgia Tech MCRP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Nov 2009, 3:24 PM
  3. Georgia Tech MCRP
    Student Commons