Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Registered
    Feb 2012

Wisconsin

Just randomly checked my application status and it says the program has recommended me for admission. The grad school still has to review my app for it to be finalized. Weird way to find out, but YAY! this was my first choice.

Congrats to everyone else who recently received good news

Registered
    Feb 2012
    In at UNC and Minnesota. Still waiting to hear from UVa.

Anyone going to UNC's open house?

Just got an email from Rutgers...in! Also heard back from UMass-Amherst and Cornell. Now just waiting for Georgia Tech and NYU (although I don't expect to hear from NYU until mid-March)

Registered
    Jul 2011

M.I.T.

Seems like the final lap of the waiting game.

Good luck to everyone!

Cornell

Does anyone know what Cornell's yield is? I want to estimate if there's some reasonable chance that I'll be taken off the waiting list.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks

Quote Originally posted by ladybug View post
    according to planetizen they are actually number 15...not too shabby. Coming from Texas(born and raised) I may be a bit biased but UT's planning program is actually extremely well respected here. Additionally, considering they are centrally located in the capital they have access to some of the best resources.For me coming from an architecture program, the overall prestige of their design school has a huge effect as well. However, I'm in a similar position but UTAustin appeals to me due to their connection to the latin american studies program which I have had my eye on for awhile, plus their reputation for amazing funding packages. You are correct that UNC ranks higher at number 6, but i think it really depends on what you want to do and what appeals to you.
    Hey thanks, this was actually really helpful! I wasn't aware of the number 15 ranking, but honestly I think I'm making too big a deal of this whole ranking thing... I think they have to be somewhat subjective, and I realize that the specific attributes of the individual programs and the professors are probably more important factors for a decision. I'm from Texas as well, and my younger brother is at UT right now, so it has it's own unique draw for me too. Where in Texas are you from? I'm guessing you're considering UT too? Are you going to the open house?

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I'm from Houston. Yes, I am considering UT as well however, I probably won't go to the open house as I will more than likely be going to Cornell's open house ( diabolically planned for the same day).

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Nice! I'm from Houston too. You've gotta be pretty excited about Cornell, that's awesome!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Michigan-financial aid

Is anyone able to view their financial aid for Michigan? My financial aid page on Wolverine Access just says I need to submit my 2011 Fed Tax Return.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    thrilled. ecstatic. it's my dream school, but on the other hand UT definitely has that financial appeal( two years at UT< one year at cornell) and the family's backing ( all of my family lives in texas).

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by aznap518 View post
    Seems like the final lap of the waiting game.

Good luck to everyone!
    Hopefully by next week the decisions will be out...until then, non-stop resfreshing of e-mail. So close!

Registered
    Mar 2012

The last of the wait

Quote Originally posted by 8hesaid View post
    I saw that on Grad Cafe last night and I immediately checked my application status- no decision yet.
    Finally heard from them today (good news). That just leaves Columbia and Hunter. Given Hunter's late-ish deadline, I'm not expecting to hear from them terribly soon, but I'm really hoping that Columbia's decisions will go out soon!

Speaking of which...does anybody out there have a take on how Columbia is for someone interested in placemaking/urban design? I know it's putting the cart before the horse, since I haven't been admitted, but I feel like it's good to start gathering information. The planning program is based in an architecture school, which would lead one to believe that they would be strong on those things, but unlike Penn, there doesn't seem to be a way for a planning student to emphasize design within the program. Anybody know anything about this??

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Financial Aid Notices

Can anyone confirm that the financial aid awarded notices for the University of Michigan and/or UNC Chapel Hill include scholarship/grant info - if the school's offering any to you? Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Clarification on what I just posted - I meant through each school's online student portal, not via any mailings received.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Also received my acceptance from Rutgers! Waiting on two schools now...

Registered
    Feb 2012

Michigan Aid

Quote Originally posted by heartdetroit View post
    Is anyone able to view their financial aid for Michigan? My financial aid page on Wolverine Access just says I need to submit my 2011 Fed Tax Return.
    I just received my award notice this morning...

Quote Originally posted by RoseBrown View post
    I just received my award notice this morning...
    I received mine last night. Underwhelming.

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally posted by StateSchooler View post
    I received mine last night. Underwhelming.
    Received both within a period of 30 minutes. Lots of mention of federal loans, nothing else.

Not my favorite half-hour of the month. That said, congrats to all who may have heard good news!

Registered
    Mar 2011
    SLO is taking their school acronym a little to seriously during this decision period. Anyone hear anything from them yet?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Michigan Financial Aid

Did anyone else submit a Fed Tax Return to Michigan? I can't find any instructions to do so on the website. Where did you send the form?

Also, did you hear about Michigan fin aid via mail or online?

Registered
    Sep 2011

Michigan Financial Aid

Quote Originally posted by heartdetroit View post
    Did anyone else submit a Fed Tax Return to Michigan? I can't find any instructions to do so on the website. Where did you send the form?

Also, did you hear about Michigan fin aid via mail or online?
    Hi HeartDetriot,

You don't submit your tax return to them directly. I completed FAFSA and then selected Michigan as a school to recieve that information.

I'm also underwhelmed by the financial award I recieved.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Thank you so much!

Registered
    Feb 2012

UW

Just got my email acceptance to Washington. Anybody else?

And, for the record, my Michigan financial aid was also pretty lame.

I'm starting to think the financial aid announced by Michigan so far is based solely on FAFSA information and doesn't include merit aid from Michigan. They mentioned that any awards would be included in the snail mail packet, so I'm holding out hope that grants and scholarships won't be posted online.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally posted by jh123 View post
    Can anyone confirm that the financial aid awarded notices for the University of Michigan and/or UNC Chapel Hill include scholarship/grant info - if the school's offering any to you? Thanks!
    "All students that receive scholarship awards from Taubman College will be notified in their hard copy admission letter."

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 134
    Last post: 29 Sep 2014, 11:10 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM