Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Michigan

I received a merit award as well
    I live in Ann Arbor and will be the first to get the letter so I'll make a post here once I get it!

Washington

Did anyone NOT hear back yet?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Like other people here, Michigan gave me merit aid. I didn't receive an e-mail from them and had to go to Wolverine Access to find notice of my aid there. My package amounts to $22,500 per year. No word on whether this is a fellowship, scholarship, or assistantship. I assume the hard copy notices will shed further light on this.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    I received a call from a Cornell student this afternoon. It took me by surprise and honestly it was a little awkward. He wanted to know whether I was going to the open house. I said I didn't know although I probably won't be attending. He also asked me what other schools I was accepted by. He asked if I had any questions, which was nice, but I just didn't have any at this stage that I couldn't have answered online or at the open house if I had been attending.

Harvard

Anyone else admitted to Harvard get a call from one of their profs?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally posted by StateSchooler View post
    Anyone else admitted to Harvard get a call from one of their profs?
    Yup, got a call this past Monday.

Quote Originally posted by heartdetroit View post
    Yup, got a call this past Monday.
    Do they call everyone? Is there any significance to the call? More merit aid, etc?

Registered
    Feb 2012

u of maryland

Quote Originally posted by kwhole01 View post
    Got an email that said the admissions decision was up on the website. Then got a second email later in the day about the open house.
    on the website with the asf or the application website. man, oh man, bummer if i didn't get anything this is probably a bad sign.

Registered
    Feb 2012

Harvard

Quote Originally posted by StateSchooler View post
    Do they call everyone? Is there any significance to the call? More merit aid, etc?
    I also talked to a prof. He e-mailed me to set-up a time and in the e-mail he said he "had some good news," but when we talked he just asked if I had any questions, etc.
    I almost wanted to ask, so what is the "good news" lol, but of course I didn't.

For those of you admitted, what are your thoughts on the financial situation? I've been constantly thinking about how much money in loans I will have to take out and if it is really worth it, as opposed to going to UCLA where I can pay in-state tuition (I am still waiting for their financial aid). I just find it hard to believe that an institution like Harvard, that is so wealthy, wouldn't be a little more generous. Do they only offer good packages to the people they really want? And the rest of us, if we don't want to pay the price we can easily be replaced by someone who will?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Boston Blueberry View post
    FaunaConfusia-when did you hear about NYU? Email notification I'm assuming?
    Boston Blueberry - Yup, email notification. Got the acceptance on Mar 5, and heard about financial aid yesterday.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Re: Harvard

I think the good news via phone call is that we got admitted to Harvard. Of course, it'd be awesome if it's a precursor to a merit scholarship...

I'm still waiting for finalized financial packages and information from other universities, so I don't have anything to compare Harvard to yet.

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally posted by ladybug View post
    on the website with the asf or the application website. man, oh man, bummer if i didn't get anything this is probably a bad sign.
    asf

Registered
    May 2011
    Rejected to Berkeley, adding me to the list of others in this thread. I had basically written off Berkeley anyway because of its location and the financial state of California.

I'm still waiting on financial aid from Penn and notifications from MIT and Illinois-Chicago.

I'm ready to have all of this over in the next week or so.

Cornell Waitlist

I noticed that someone on gradcafe posted that they had been taken off the waiting list. Has anyone here been notified as well?

Registered
    Feb 2012
    thank you I found it, actually on a site from last years posters on grad cafe. apparently my application is still in limbo or pending decision.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Grad school 2012

Hey guys,

I am new to cyburbia and new to the United States too! Been here for a year now. Just happened to come across this thread. I also have applied for Masters in Urban Planning.
    I had applied to a few schools and so far:

Accepted:
    USC
    Rutgers

Rejected:
    UNC
    Berkeley

Waitlisted:
    UT Austin

I am still waiting on Georgia Tech and MIT. Since I got rejected from Berkeley, I dont have so much hopes on MIT. I haven't received any sort of financial aid from USC or Rutgers. If I have to decide between USC and Rutgers I am still thinking what to choose. Any one has any suggestions? I'm still banking on Georgia tech as well. Does any one know which one is better to opt for: USC, Rutgers or Georgia in order of preference and if possible reasons to do so? Thank you!

Registered
    Feb 2012

MIT

Just saw the first acceptance from MIT posted on the gradcafe

feeling even more nervous than before...the answer I've been waiting for should be coming any day now...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for alerting the rest of us, urbanista! Good luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Received Michigan in Mail

They have a pretty cool admittance package--complete with a Taubman College memory stick.

They only listed merit-based aid in my financial document, with no need-based information--I'll call them about this.

Also, note: They will partially reimburse for travel expenses to the open house.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Logged on to the MIT site to look for any signs. Under application status, it says record last changed 03/12/2012 (today). Also, there was a blurb that said applicants will be notified by the end of March and that an open house will be held April 13-14.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Michigan Financial Aid

I called the financial aid office regarding my need-based aid. The guy told me I needed to submit my tax return and then very kindly informed me that as a graduate student, the only need-based aid I will be receiving is the $20,500 in loans.

Did anyone get anything besides merit scholarships and loans from Michigan?

If this is the case, I think Harvard will strangely be more affordable for me than Michigan.

Rutgers vs. Cornell

Almost ashamed to admit that I just found this website - thanks, Rutgers recruiters! - but is anyone else deciding between Cornell and Rutgers? As fun as it is to compare the two on my spreadsheet, talking with a person would be nice ha.

Thanks - and congrats everyone!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by MBrendanawicz View post
    Logged on to the MIT site to look for any signs. Under application status, it says record last changed 03/12/2012 (today). Also, there was a blurb that said applicants will be notified by the end of March and that an open house will be held April 13-14.
    Hey MBrendanawicz,
    Did you look at the Applyweb site? I donīt see where it says application status. Thanks!

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally posted by heartdetroit View post
    I called the financial aid office regarding my need-based aid. The guy told me I needed to submit my tax return and then very kindly informed me that as a graduate student, the only need-based aid I will be receiving is the $20,500 in loans.

Did anyone get anything besides merit scholarships and loans from Michigan?

If this is the case, I think Harvard will strangely be more affordable for me than Michigan.
    Nothing additional for me.

Also, thanks for the info on the packet.

Registered
    Feb 2012

u of maryland

lol. i just got a call from umd, apparently my acceptance letter got lost in the mail, but i did get accepted...strange. strange as well is the fact that their open house is on the same day as everyone else's oh to make an already tough decision tougher.

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 2:33 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM