Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally posted by JKosior View post
    I received an email from them today. It was pretty detailed. Hope yours comes soon too!
    Hope so!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

All Decisions In

Well, all my decisions are in:

Accepted:
    Harvard
    Michigan
    Penn

Rejected:
    MIT (expected, beyond the fact that they're MIT, my application sucked)
    Columbia (I realize this comes off snooty, but that was unexpected--but I also didn't really want to go there anyway and expressed no interest in NYC)

What do you know--I wanted a heavily design-based program in a post-industrial city with diverse neighborhoods--and those are the schools that accepted me (well, if you factor in Michigan's relative proximity to Detroit).

It looks as if I will be attending Harvard in the fall as they gave me the most money (Michigan, Penn, and Harvard were my top three choices and $ was the dealbreaker--anyone else decided on Harvard yet? Anyone attending their open house?

I'm currently signed up to go to the Penn open house, but I might change my RSVP because they didn't give me much aid.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Sent an email to Georgia Tech, finally got the word I was rejected.

So I've finally heard back from all my schools...

Accepted
    Penn
    Michigan

Wait listed
    Cornell
    UW Seattle

Rejected
    MIT
    Berkeley

I'm going to Penn this fall barring an acceptance from Cornell. Will anyone else be at either Penn's or Cornell's open house?

All In

Accepted
    UNC
    USC
    UT-Austin
    Michigan
    Harvard

Rejected
    MIT
    Berkeley
    UCLA

Heading to the Dean's Merit event at USC on Thursday and Friday. Between that and Harvard, I have my work cut out for me. Still waiting on aid from UT-Austin and UNC though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

@Sway.RK

Quote Originally posted by Sway.RK View post
    I have one more question to ask you. Did you get the acceptance from Rutgers through email? I received an email from them, but when I mailed them back, they said I would receive the brochure and package from them only once I send them my financial documents since that's the rule for International students. Where as from USC i already received their brochure and welcome letter by post. So is it the same for you too regarding Rutgers? Would you be coming here on an F1 visa? If you would be any idea as to how many i20's can one have to get the visa? Thank you!
    Hey Sway.RK,
    Sorry for my late reply but I was out for the weekend. Are you going to the Rutgers Open house? Unfortunately as I am in Greece now I can’t attend it. But I am waiting to hear news from you as we both want the same (both design and policy courses)from our programs. I read somewhere that Rutgers is more policy oriented and I also checked your conversation in the forum thread for Rutgers Open house 2012…From the other hand GeorgiaTech MSc program belongs to the department of Architecture so I am sure it will be more design oriented. However NJersey is near NY…I am wondering now if it is a nice place to live and what about job opportunities there…It is very high in the rankings but I don’t know if I have to base my choice on that. I am not sure also which has a better reputation as university, Rutgers or Georgia Tech. Any idea? Did you receive an acceptance letter from GeorgiaTech? I have been accepted in NYU too but except from the fact that it is in Manhattan it doesn’t seem so appealing. (Maybe I am wrong of course).
    As for Rutgers acceptance I just received two different emails, one was the letter and the second was about the bank statement and the international student form (no financial assistance ). But I don’t know when is the deadline and what I have to do next…Do we have to accept the offer until 15 of April and after that to send the statements? No idea…Yesterday I sent them an email to ask. Maybe @schmidt486 can help us here…I am coming with an F1 Visa but I don’t know the procedure yet. I guess you just need only one i20.

P.S I tried to convert my grade 18.67/20 based on the recommendation of World Education Services for Greece (WES Grade Conversion Guide) because UCLA asked for the GPA-worksheet. (I know that it is not correct because we have different grading systems but it was mandatory...)

Madison

UW Madison has just recommended me for admission! Congrats to everyone who got admitted!

Registered
    Mar 2012

UIC

Just got waitlisted for UIC. If you were accepted and are not going to go there, please let them know quickly!

Registered
    Mar 2010

Cornell - Financial Aid

Quick question for the admitted Cornell folks out there - has anyone received info on financial aid beyond what is mentioned is the acceptance letter? If so, did it come via email? Did you have to fill out any forms beyond the FAFSA?

Thank you!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

UCLA Mail?

Has anyone received anything in the mail from UCLA yet? I expected something in the mail by now since the packet was supposed to be sent out last Friday, and am wondering if it's just my mail that's slow, or if everyone else is experiencing a delay too.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Registered
    Mar 2012

RE: UCLA Mail?

Yeah I haven't gotten anything yet either. I'm in NYC but if they mailed them out on Fri, it should have been here by now. I'm guessing another delay?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, mdowd. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Guess it will be a few more days yet....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2011

UCLA aid

Just got mine in the mail this morning, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed :-/

I got a grant covering 1/2 of the professional school fee.

At this point I'd be paying less at USC...

Registered
    Mar 2012

UCLA

Quote Originally posted by MSahimi View post
    Just got mine in the mail this morning, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed :-/

I got a grant covering 1/2 of the professional school fee.

At this point I'd be paying less at USC...
    same here. got my UCLA mailed package today as well.

got the departmental fellowship/grant that covers 1/2 of the professional school fee too.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

UCLA Aid

So maybe tomorrow in NoCal? That would be nice.

Whatever aid I'm offered, I'll just be glad to finally know (or that's my zen attitude about the decision right now, at least).

Registered
    Mar 2012

@Danai Z

Quote Originally posted by Danai Z View post
    Hey Sway.RK,
    Sorry for my late reply but I was out for the weekend. Are you going to the Rutgers Open house? Unfortunately as I am in Greece now I can’t attend it. But I am waiting to hear news from you as we both want the same (both design and policy courses)from our programs. I read somewhere that Rutgers is more policy oriented and I also checked your conversation in the forum thread for Rutgers Open house 2012…From the other hand GeorgiaTech MSc program belongs to the department of Architecture so I am sure it will be more design oriented. However NJersey is near NY…I am wondering now if it is a nice place to live and what about job opportunities there…It is very high in the rankings but I don’t know if I have to base my choice on that. I am not sure also which has a better reputation as university, Rutgers or Georgia Tech. Any idea? Did you receive an acceptance letter from GeorgiaTech? I have been accepted in NYU too but except from the fact that it is in Manhattan it doesn’t seem so appealing. (Maybe I am wrong of course).
    As for Rutgers acceptance I just received two different emails, one was the letter and the second was about the bank statement and the international student form (no financial assistance ). But I don’t know when is the deadline and what I have to do next…Do we have to accept the offer until 15 of April and after that to send the statements? No idea…Yesterday I sent them an email to ask. Maybe @schmidt486 can help us here…I am coming with an F1 Visa but I don’t know the procedure yet. I guess you just need only one i20.

P.S I tried to convert my grade 18.67/20 based on the recommendation of World Education Services for Greece (WES Grade Conversion Guide) because UCLA asked for the GPA-worksheet. (I know that it is not correct because we have different grading systems but it was mandatory...)
    Yes I am planning to go to Rutgers open house. I guess I will find out how the program is when I go there. I also plan to go to USC's open house too. So that I can decide between the two. Rutgers, USC's and Georgia tech's programs are all great. I guess the only way I can make a decision is by visiting the schools. I still haven't been accepted to georgia tech. They are re-viewing my application again and will tell me in a few days i think. I have no idea about Rutgers deadline. I guess for the financial documents there is no deadline. You can send it when ever you get those ready. But I don't know about the acceptance deadline. When is the last date for that - Is it April 15th? Let me know If you hear something from them. Even I checked with the i20 thing you need only one. So in this case you can accept only one offer, since they have a SEVIS number which tracks every student and which university they go to by the US home land security department. I guess from what I have heard every school takes about a month to send you your i20 documents and then you have to book an appointment with the US embassy in your country to go to the visa interview for F1. Oh well thats it for now Let me know whats happening at your end! Oh and about my GPA I didnt convert it. I just sent it to all the schools without converting. Mine was out of 10.

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Yes I am planning to go to Rutgers open house. I guess I will find out how the program is when I go there. I also plan to go to USC's open house too. So that I can decide between the two. Rutgers, USC's and Georgia tech's programs are all great. I guess the only way I can make a decision is by visiting the schools. I still haven't been accepted to georgia tech. They are re-viewing my application again and will tell me in a few days i think. I have no idea about Rutgers deadline. I guess for the financial documents there is no deadline. You can send it when ever you get those ready. But I don't know about the acceptance deadline. When is the last date for that - Is it April 15th? Let me know If you hear something from them. Even I checked with the i20 thing you need only one. So in this case you can accept only one offer, since they have a SEVIS number which tracks every student and which university they go to by the US home land security department. I guess from what I have heard every school takes about a month to send you your i20 documents and then you have to book an appointment with the US embassy in your country to go to the visa interview for F1. Oh well thats it for now Let me know whats happening at your end! Oh and about my GPA I didnt convert it. I just sent it to all the schools without converting. Mine was out of 10.
    Hey Sway.RK the acceptance deadline( which I think is just an email saying you are going to accept their offer) has to be done by April 15. The forms for the I20 dont have a deadline. I'm an international student too and I just got a reply from them on that. I'll be at the open house too so looking forward to seeing you there.

Registered
    Mar 2012

@isamu

Quote Originally posted by isamu View post
    Hey Sway.RK the acceptance deadline( which I think is just an email saying you are going to accept their offer) has to be done by April 15. The forms for the I20 dont have a deadline. I'm an international student too and I just got a reply from them on that. I'll be at the open house too so looking forward to seeing you there.
    Hey isamu! Thanks a lot for letting me know! i didn't know about the deadline part. Looking forward to seeing you too on 5th! Do you have more options apart from Rutgers?

Registered
    Mar 2012

@isamu

One more doubt - to which email id do you have to send an email to incase you plan on accepting Rutgers?

Registered
    Feb 2012

UCLA Aid

Quote Originally posted by mrcool View post
    same here. got my UCLA mailed package today as well.

got the departmental fellowship/grant that covers 1/2 of the professional school fee too.
    Hmmm, I received a PDF of my department letter from the coordinator on Friday, but still haven't seen the actual physical packet. They did say that they nominated me for an incredibly swank graduate division fellowship, but told me I was fairly low on their ranked list of nominees. They basically evaded the question of departmental aid if I don't win the fellowship, and said they couldn't really talk about it until the grad division makes their decision (which should be by March 30).

I'm flying to LA first thing tomorrow morning for the USC event, and this entire waiting game is making me want to tear my hair out, since funding will be a HUGE part of where I decide to go (and it really is down to USC vs. UCLA for me).

Registered
    Mar 2010

UW Madison

Quote Originally posted by jacciz View post
    UW Madison has just recommended me for admission! Congrats to everyone who got admitted!
    Hey did you receive an email from them? Or did you check the website... I just want to know if I got in or not haha.. Also is anyone else still waiting from UW Madison?

Registered
    Dec 2011
    One more doubt - to which email id do you have to send an email to incase you plan on accepting Rutgers?
    im actually not quite sure. i was just going to email admissions once i decided. and for the moment i got accepted into a few schools and ive got the most aid from rutgers so its looking like it might be my best option but still waiting to hear from 2 more schools to see if i get more aid there. i'll find out quickly i hope!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Accepted at Clemson.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

UCLA Package

So I finally got the package from UCLA and there was no mention of aid. I thought they'd at least offer me a little, but guess not. (On the plus side, this will make my decision between schools a little easier.) Congrats to anyone out there who did get a good aid package offer from UCLA. Now I just need to hear back from UNC on aid and I'll be done obsessing.

Quote Originally posted by Importantplans View post
    Hey did you receive an email from them? Or did you check the website... I just want to know if I got in or not haha.. Also is anyone else still waiting from UW Madison?
    I checked the application status on their website. I havent received an email nor mail as i know of yet. Im traveling in Europe so i don't have a mailbox. Just found out yesterday.

+ Reply to thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 131
    Last post: 10 Apr 2014, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM