Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Registered
    Apr 2011

Cal Poly SLO

I just got the notification that I was admitted to Cal Poly and am 80% sure I will be attending. Does anyone know when they plan on informing students about financial aid?

Registered
    Mar 2011

Cal Poly SLO

Also got an email from them today stating I have been admitted to the CRP Program. Now I just need to make a final decision between them and San Jose State...No idea what to do lol.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

UNC Merit Aid

I haven't heard anything from UNC about merit aid yet. Last I heard, they said they'd be notifying on a rolling timetable through early April. I'm not sure if they're still notifying, but I'm thinking they could provide merit aid info tomorrow or next week.

I'm on the west coast and was waiting until I heard back on aid to decide if I'd visit. At this point, I've practically stopped considering them because of the lack of financial aid info - I wish they'd been able to notify us sooner one way or the other!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, judging from years past, UNC seems to be departing from their previous timetable. It seems in previous years they notified students of financial aid the first or second week of March. Not that that helps those of us looking at them!

Registered
    Feb 2012

Cal poly aid

Quote Originally posted by Badger521 View post
    I just got the notification that I was admitted to Cal Poly and am 80% sure I will be attending. Does anyone know when they plan on informing students about financial aid?

hey badger congratulations, you will get an admissions packet in the mail, but it wont have any award info (at least mine didn't). you need to fill out a paper application that comes in the admissions packet. they say they start to review the aid applications April 30th. so basically they want you to commit without knowing what you will receive.... im not that concerned, but might be if i were paying out of state tuition, good luck.

New Brunswick Bound

Just accepted at Rutgers for the MCRP/MPP joint degree program - has anyone else picked Rutgers yet?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Nice! You tell me...you got a nice financial aid package . Some of us haven't gotten that.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by wecrenshaw View post
    hey badger congratulations, you will get an admissions packet in the mail, but it wont have any award info (at least mine didn't). you need to fill out a paper application that comes in the admissions packet. they say they start to review the aid applications April 30th. so basically they want you to commit without knowing what you will receive.... im not that concerned, but might be if i were paying out of state tuition, good luck.
    Alright thanks. I'm not too concerned either since Cal Poly's out of state tuition cost is almost the same price as what I paid for in-state tuition at UW-Madison.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Alright thanks. I'm not too concerned either since Cal Poly's out of state tuition cost is almost the same price as what I paid for in-state tuition at UW-Madison.
    Have no idea where I came up with this calculation. It's been a long week.

Quote Originally posted by MBrendanawicz View post
    Nice! You tell me...you got a nice financial aid package . Some of us haven't gotten that.
    Just assuming that was for me, MBrendanawicz, but keep in mind that you can get in-state tuition at Rutgers for your second year!

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by JKosior View post
    Just assuming that was for me, MBrendanawicz, but keep in mind that you can get in-state tuition at Rutgers for your second year!
    Of course that is only if you declare yourself a resident of NJ the second you arrive. The way it was explained to me, you need to be a resident for a full year which you do by establishing the typical ties to the community (registering to vote, getting a NJ license, stuff like that). It's certainly worth it, it's almost a 10k reduction in tuition from out of state to in state.

Rutgers is also in top contention for me. JKosior and MBrendanawicz (sweet handle btw) will you be going to the open house on Thursday?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Rutgers

Quote Originally posted by TycoonTitan View post
    Of course that is only if you declare yourself a resident of NJ the second you arrive. The way it was explained to me, you need to be a resident for a full year which you do by establishing the typical ties to the community (registering to vote, getting a NJ license, stuff like that). It's certainly worth it, it's almost a 10k reduction in tuition from out of state to in state.

Rutgers is also in top contention for me. JKosior and MBrendanawicz (sweet handle btw) will you be going to the open house on Thursday?
    @TycoonTitan: Do you know when you need to have a year of NJ residency to get in-state tuition (end of registration, start of classes, last day to drop classes)?

And I will be at Thursday's open house.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    I will be there Thursday as well. TycoonTitan, are you staying with a student?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Some help please....

Hi to everyone once again and congratulation for any new acceptances or financial support that you received!
    I am still in a great dilemma about which MCRP to choose, Rutger's or GeorgiaTech's (maybe NYU's too). If someone is an alumni/current student or knows some more about the programs some advises here will be an enormous help. (I want to concentrate on Urban Design and Environmental Planning.)

P.S Did anyone attend Cornell's Open House? I have been wait-listed by Cornell's Program so if there is anyone that recently got off the waiting-list please let me know...
    P.S2 Also, I am very interested to know if GeorgiaTech started to send financial support letters. I have not received news from them.
    And what is usually a satisfying merit based award for Rutgers?Is it the same for all the international students or it differs? I hope this isn't an inappropriate question ....

Greetings,
    Danai

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Just got an aid package from Rutgers. In total it covers almost half tuition. Includes a scholarship, award, and assistantship. It was a very kind letter that said there were a number of faculty interested in mentoring. Hope everyone hears soon about financial aid.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Financial Aid - Rutgers

Just got an aid package from Rutgers. In total it covers almost half tuition. Includes a scholarship, award, and assistantship. It was a very kind letter that said there were a number of faculty interested in mentoring. Hope everyone hears soon about financial aid.
    Congratulations! That is very good! Are you going to Rutgers then?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Have no idea. USC gave me a full scholarship, but I'd prefer ultimately to get a job in the Northeast. I'm going to the Open House so ultimately it could depend on how I like the school vis-a-vis USC.

Cornell

I was accepted off the Cornell wait list today.

I loved the letter from Rutgers! It was so much more informative than any of the other acceptance letters I received. I like how they listed the professors who supported your application and I actually got a call from one of them the other day. Great intro to the school!

I can't make the Open House, but I officially accepted last week.

Registered
    Oct 2011
    nam, thanks for the information. I have to make a decision about Clemson by the end of the week, and I think I am going to turn them down. Even with the aid package I would still go into quite a bit of debt just from living expenses and such. I did that with my first masters, not keen on doing it again even though the program sounds pretty cool. I am going to stay at Albany part-time and wait to hear from them about GA/TA/scholarship.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    First of all - congrats to everyone that has got into a program! I hope to be joining your ranks soon. Has anyone heard back from Denver yet?

congratulations cornell off waitlist

Quote Originally posted by polydentate View post
    I was accepted off the Cornell wait list today.
    how did you find out you were off the wait list, did Cornell contact you? or did you contatcted them?
    Did you go to the open house? I am sorry for the questions, that's great news for you, congrads again

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Wisco View post
    First of all - congrats to everyone that has got into a program! I hope to be joining your ranks soon. Has anyone heard back from Denver yet?
    I got an email Friday for an open house for admitted students on the 6th but haven't received an official admission letter yet. I believe they are sending them by snail mail.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    @MBrendanawicz, I'm not planning on staying with a student, I couldn't make it work logistically, so I'll just be riding in for the day on NJ Transit. I also loved the letter from Steve Weston regarding aid and mentorship. It certainly makes you feel that you're actually a desired student. I've been really impressed by schools that have sent out letters like that (Pratt's offer of admissions demonstrated they read everything I sent, even a 20page paper on gentrification in Hoboken NJ).

@JKosier, I had visited Rutgers back in the fall, and when I met with Steve Weston then, he strongly suggested moving to New Brunswick ASAP and basically register to vote immediately and change your license right away (essentials to making the case that you're a NJ resident). He was basically saying if you can move on June 1, move there on June 1. The way it sounded, it seemed that it's only possible to declare residency if you live off campus, perhaps because it demonstrates permanence.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I got an email Friday for an open house for admitted students on the 6th but haven't received an official admission letter yet. I believe they are sending them by snail mail.
    Thanks for letting me know. I was a bit late to applying, so I guess I'll have to see what happens. Congrats on SLO. I used to live out in SoCal and fondly remember my trips up to SLO. Loved the area... loved Pismo even more. Great school - you're making a good choice. Best of luck!

+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 3:33 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 5:13 PM
  3. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 7:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 4:45 PM