Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

U Maryland Urban Studies

Did anyone attend Maryland's Open House on March 30? Thoughts? Feel free to PM me.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

@TycoonTitan- NJ Residency

Quote Originally posted by TycoonTitan View post
    .@JKosier, I had visited Rutgers back in the fall, and when I met with Steve Weston then, he strongly suggested moving to New Brunswick ASAP and basically register to vote immediately and change your license right away (essentials to making the case that you're a NJ resident). He was basically saying if you can move on June 1, move there on June 1. The way it sounded, it seemed that it's only possible to declare residency if you live off campus, perhaps because it demonstrates permanence.
    Do you think if I was not able to move to NJ until mid-July that it would be too late to declare residency for my 2nd year?

Registered
    Mar 2012
    @8hesaid; I believe the rule is you have to be a resident for 1 year to claim in state tuition, but I don't know when it would be too late to declare yourself a resident to get instate tuition for year 2. I would think if you can establish a year of residency before August 2013, you're probably in good shape (I imagine it has something to do with when you get billed for the semester). But Steve Weston gave the impression that the Bloustein office tries to help in all the ways it can to reduce your tuition to the instate level for the 2nd year. I'll do my best to get an answer to this question on Thursday.

Quote Originally posted by smarcelinos View post
    how did you find out you were off the wait list, did Cornell contact you? or did you contatcted them?
    Did you go to the open house? I am sorry for the questions, that's great news for you, congrads again
    Yes, I attended the open house. I spoke to a couple of professors there about my wait list situation and that must have done the trick. I got an email the very next business day informing me of my acceptance!
    Will anyone else be joining me at Cornell this fall?

Quote Originally posted by TycoonTitan View post
    @8hesaid; I believe the rule is you have to be a resident for 1 year to claim in state tuition, but I don't know when it would be too late to declare yourself a resident to get instate tuition for year 2. I would think if you can establish a year of residency before August 2013, you're probably in good shape (I imagine it has something to do with when you get billed for the semester). But Steve Weston gave the impression that the Bloustein office tries to help in all the ways it can to reduce your tuition to the instate level for the 2nd year. I'll do my best to get an answer to this question on Thursday.

That's great that the Bloustein folk help you get residency for the second year. I wish I could be there on Thursday, let me know what you think!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    If anyone is going to the University of Florida or Clemson, I will be going to visit next week if you want any information please let me know!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Georgia Tech

Got my acceptance to Tech's program today. So it's all in for me!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Rutgers Open House

Hi guys,
    Any comments about Rutgers Open House? I watched some parts online and I found
    it very interesting but I want your opinions too.
    @MBrendanawicz did you decide between USC and Rutgers?
    @Polydentate Congratulations for Cornell...I am wait-listed too but didn't make it to the Open House
    and I have not received any news...
    @JKosior @Geograph Congratulations also

Does anyone know the deadline and the way to accept Rutgers offer?
    And what about GeorgiaTech Open House?
    @Sway.RK Did you make a choice? Were you at Rutgers event?

Registered
    Apr 2012

GaTech

Is it only me who is still waiting to hear from Georgia Tech or are there some others? Should I give them another call/or email and ask for my status or should I just wait...?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Better late than never?

Well, I can finally list my final tally, having just heard back from UNC on aid:

USC - in with full tuition
    Univ. of Michigan - in with full tuition and 1-year stipend
    UNC Chapel Hill - in without aid
    UCLA - in without aid
    Harvard - waitlisted
    MIT - rejected
    Berkeley - rejected

Glad this is all finally nearing an end. I found the forum to be a useful place to go to commiserate and hear about what others were experiencing/thinking (especially when family and friends got sick of hearing me vent about the process). Thanks to everyone and good luck with wherever you go.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally posted by jh123 View post
    Well, I can finally list my final tally, having just heard back from UNC on aid:

USC - in with full tuition
    Univ. of Michigan - in with full tuition and 1-year stipend
    UNC Chapel Hill - in without aid
    UCLA - in without aid
    Harvard - waitlisted
    MIT - rejected
    Berkeley - rejected

Glad this is all finally nearing an end. I found the forum to be a useful place to go to commiserate and hear about what others were experiencing/thinking (especially when family and friends got sick of hearing me vent about the process). Thanks to everyone and good luck with wherever you go.
    Congrats! You got into two great programs with full tuition. =] Are you waiting on Harvard? Which of the schools that you got into are you leaning towards?

I'm not going to lie--I'm very jealous of your funding at Michigan--I LOVE that school (it broke my heart to turn it down for practical reasons!). =]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by heartdetroit View post
    Congrats! You got into two great programs with full tuition. =] Are you waiting on Harvard? Which of the schools that you got into are you leaning towards?

I'm not going to lie--I'm very jealous of your funding at Michigan--I LOVE that school (it broke my heart to turn it down for practical reasons!). =]
    Thanks! I'm leaning towards USC right now, and don't think I'll wait on Harvard. Even if I got off the waitlist, they probably wouldn't offer me any funding, and I already have loans from another degree.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, I'm leaning toward USC right now as well. They offered me a better deal, the school has a great policy program, and I think I prefer to live in Los Angeles with all the great opportunities to assess problems facing the built environment. And to be honest, after attending open houses at both USC and Rutgers, I thought USC did a better job with their event. It was crisper, it was more efficient, and they gave out more information meant to sell the school. I was really impressed with the friendliness of the professors at Rutgers and I got a strong impression that faculty and students formed a really close community. On the other hand, I thought the students who spoke to us at USC were more positive or at least were more persuasive on the positives of the program. The one big drawback for their program is the possibility that a USC degree would limit one to California, but I'm not sure that my anxiety is based on reality. The words 'Trojan Network' has been trumpeted relentlessly from the USC community and I did not get the sense that Rutgers would be much stronger (that said, the new person responsible for Career Services at the Bloustein school seems very driven and is apparently improving Rutgers' career outreach.

Did anyone have any thoughts on USC's strengths and weaknesses?

USC

Looks like the lot of us are going to USC, and I'm pretty happy with that. I still haven't heard back from UNC about aid, but regardless, I think my mind is made up. I hope to see you guys in the fall.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by 8hesaid View post
    Did anyone attend Maryland's Open House on March 30? Thoughts? Feel free to PM me.
    I was there; sorry I just joined cyburbia and can't send PMs yet. I thought the open house was fairly decent and friendly with an interdiscipliary approach (since the open house was for all accepted students regardless of major), enabling planning and real estate development, architecture and historic preservation students to take each other's classes and work with each other and with a fairly open attiude to doing dual-degree programs if you want to -- but it was the only open house I went to. My ability to move is restricted, I work and plan to go part time, so I do not know first-hand how it compares to other programs since I did not attend their open houses.

In talking to others (accepted to IIT, Penn, UVA, VT, NJIT, etc.) I heard that Columbia was (this is not a quote, but the gist of what I heard, but it is merely gossip and may be entirely incorrect without corroboration) 'more into theoretical issues than practical reality', and that IIT seemed to focus more on structures (i.e., high-rises) than design and the overall urban environment. The issue of cost came up frequently, especially with Penn, who I heard tries to 'sell' the alumni-networking lifetime benefits.

One person I heard comment that one of the major distinctions seems to be whether or not the planning school is located with architecture or public policy and asked how important that was. Clearly UMD is located within the architecture school, working with other students wanting to focus in other related fields, and they said that was most like what working in the profession is actually like. The required studio courses (6 credits overall) has students from the different majors in preparation of a project for a local government or other client. They also pointed out that they share some faculty with the school of public policy (which is next door) and that you may take other classes within the university (or other schools in the area as well, without needing to apply, except JHU) as electives if they are related. They also said, in response to a 'should I take the master's thesis option' question that their masters graduates had been accepted into the Ph.D. programs of very good schools (e.g., UC Berkeley, and another equivalent school which I have forgotten) without doing a master's thesis. So clearly other schools seem to think well of their graduates, and that would seem to be very meaningful.

I also believe UMD has one of the least-expensive out-of-state tuition rates - so the base out-of-state tuition seems one of the lower ones, absent a custom aid package. Scholarships seem to be limited to PhD students, however GAs and TAs (inside and outside the school) are available.

It seems a moderately small program (I believe they try for a class of 30 or so) where many, but not all (some are far-flung - west coast, europe, etc.) graduates remain in the D.C. area after graduation and they are well-regarded by local and State governments and private companies in the area.

I hope this is helpful and the kind of information you were looking for. Since I only looked at the one school, I am curious how this compares and if what I said matches others' impressions. Thanks, I hope I made a worthwhile first post.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

USC

Bucking the trend and declined USC (also Maryland) this morning. I'm all in on Tufts or Rutgers.

Registered
    Mar 2012

UIC

Admitted to UIC off of the waitlist today. Looks like that's where I'll be headed!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

Financial Aid

Hm... still have not heard about financial aid of UNC and Georgia Tech. April 15th is moving closer though... Did anyone hear about merit aid of those two?

I'm still waiting on Georgia Tech financial aid too-I emailed and they said that aid is given on a rolling basis and there's no deadline for when it will be given out. Kind of discouraging.

Registered
    Mar 2012

UNC Funding

I've been in contact with UNC concerning the merit aid, and here's the response I received:

"We'll be meeting tomorrow about final funding decisions and should you be selected for an aid package, you will be informed by Friday."

Best of luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Wow. Talk about waiting til the last minute.

GA Tech Aid

Just got a letter from GA Tech notifying me of a full ride + $9000 assistantship for the first year. Now to decide between GA Tech and Rutgers...

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by longboarder88 View post
    I've been in contact with UNC concerning the merit aid, and here's the response I received:

"We'll be meeting tomorrow about final funding decisions and should you be selected for an aid package, you will be informed by Friday."

Best of luck!
    Hi - thanks so much for sharing this information. Who did you manage to contact at UNC? I've been trying to call/email/contact them for a couple weeks now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Congratulations, Boston Blueberry!

I can't believe that UNC is still making aid decisions, three days before the response deadline. I had figured it most have been completed at least a week or two ago.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Got off the waitlist at UIUC, but they have no aid to offer so I'll decline.

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 2:33 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM