Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Registered
    Mar 2012

UNC Contact

@peices- I contacted Prof. Tom Campanella!

Registered
    Apr 2012

UNC Aid

My understanding is that UNC offered an initial round of aid in mid March, around the 17th to a very small number. Then offered a second round in early April, after their Open House. So, these final offers being decided this week would probably be based on reallocating money that was declined by applicants in the first 2 rounds.

Registered
    Apr 2012

Cal Poly SLO or UCI

Hey all, long time reader but first time poster. Got acceptances to all the schools I applied and now trying to figure out between Cal Poly SLO and UC Irvine. Love Cal Poly and the price but also really liked the program at UCI. Anyone have an opinion to offer up to help sway me in one direction or another!?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by NoMT1984 View post
    Hey all, long time reader but first time poster. Got acceptances to all the schools I applied and now trying to figure out between Cal Poly SLO and UC Irvine. Love Cal Poly and the price but also really liked the program at UCI. Anyone have an opinion to offer up to help sway me in one direction or another!?
    Both are very different programs. What are your interests in planning? What sort of work would you like to do after graduation? I know that SLO is seen as a much more practical program where you will get a lot more "hands on" instruction and experience in physical planning. If your interests lie more in economic development, transportation planning, or community engagement, UCI could be a better fit.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    It's official: I'm going to USC. Now I have to see whether I can handle cheering for Lane Kiffen's Trojans.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Attending Rutgers this fall but never rooting for a New York sports team.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    By the way, 8hesaid, go Giants!

Quote Originally posted by MBrendanawicz View post
    It's official: I'm going to USC. Now I have to see whether I can handle cheering for Lane Kiffen's Trojans.
    Congrats man! Probably making it official tomorrow! The Trojans are going to be a hard sell for me, but we'll see.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by NickSticks View post
    Both are very different programs. What are your interests in planning? What sort of work would you like to do after graduation? I know that SLO is seen as a much more practical program where you will get a lot more "hands on" instruction and experience in physical planning. If your interests lie more in economic development, transportation planning, or community engagement, UCI could be a better fit.
    I want to pursue transportation planning but really want some more of the practical "learn by doing " education from Cal Poly. I think being a part of the UC system had a lot of appeal to it, and being able to take classes in the civil engineering department at UCI would be good, but I will probably end up at Cal Poly as the price is right and it doesnt require a move for me! .... Thanks for the response, I was hoping to get a good answer on the pros of each program, much appreciated!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally posted by MBrendanawicz View post
    By the way, 8hesaid, go Giants!
    @MBrendanawicz: Go to Cali already

Registered
    Mar 2012

UNC offer

I recieved a funding offer from UNC. They are willing to pay for 50% of tuition and fees, and give me a stipend. Ga Tech hasn't offered me any monetary aid, but I'm a Ga resident. So, my decision just got tougher. I just asked Ga Tech for a deadline extension.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    @8hesaid Heheh Sorry, couldn't resist one more. I'm a Celtics fan though so I'll have even more incentive to cheer against the Lakers.

@StateSchooler Hey, I'm looking at it on the bright side. We get to cheer against Notre Dame every year and that's always a big game.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally posted by longboarder88 View post
    @peices- I contacted Prof. Tom Campanella!
    Thanks so much!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

Done Deciding

I'm all in at USC too. So relieved to be done thinking about it!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011

I keep wanting to "like" people's posts...

Anyhow, as some of us are talking about sports, I feel like throwing a "Go Blue!" in here and congratulating people on making their decisions!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Sent in my remaining declines this morning and will be heading to UCLA in the fall.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Looking forward to meeting all the incoming USC students this fall! If any of you have questions about the program or living in LA please feel free to contact me.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2009
    I still cant decide where I want to go. Why is the deadline so damned soon?

Stuck between Penn, Rutgers and UCLA.

I visited UCLA on Tuesday, and they seem to have the best transportation program....but I dont know if I can live in LA for two years....especially because my vision sucks, and while California is content to give me a license, I am not comfortable driving at night in populated areas.I have experience LA public transit. While it is certainly extensive, I cant quite say its convenient or pleasant.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Very hard decision, but it's final. I'm going to Georgia Tech this fall; very excited!

If anyone else is going there too, feel free to private message me. It's good to know a others starting out too. Best of luck to all with final decisions.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    It's official; will be heading to Rutgers in the fall!

It's amazing how hard it is to close off options; finally sent in the last of my declines.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2011
    @peterh: congrats on your decision and best of luck at Georgia Tech!

Registered
    Feb 2012

UofA and FSU

Got accepted at FSU and university of arizona with a big scholarship . Does anyone knows about how good the masters of planning at university of arizona is?? Also, has anyone received financial aid from FSU?

Registered
    Mar 2012

@Danai Z

Quote Originally posted by Danai Z View post
    Hi guys,
    Any comments about Rutgers Open House? I watched some parts online and I found
    it very interesting but I want your opinions too.
    @MBrendanawicz did you decide between USC and Rutgers?
    @Polydentate Congratulations for Cornell...I am wait-listed too but didn't make it to the Open House
    and I have not received any news...
    @JKosior @Geograph Congratulations also

Does anyone know the deadline and the way to accept Rutgers offer?
    And what about GeorgiaTech Open House?
    @Sway.RK Did you make a choice? Were you at Rutgers event?
    Hey! sorry for the extremely late reply! Was out of town! Yes I did make to the Rutgers event. It was really nice. I had to make a choice between USC, Rutgers and U Wash. I didnt make it through G.tech. All have extremely good programs. Ultimately I will be attending Rutgers this fall! Did you make a decision yet?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2012

@Sway.RK

Quote Originally posted by Sway.RK View post
    Hey! sorry for the extremely late reply! Was out of town! Yes I did make to the Rutgers event. It was really nice. I had to make a choice between USC, Rutgers and U Wash. I didnt make it through G.tech. All have extremely good programs. Ultimately I will be attending Rutgers this fall! Did you make a decision yet?
    Hello Sway.RK nice to hear from you again. Congratulations for Rutgers, it is a great program! Check your Notifications (messages)....

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 2:33 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM