Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: EWU tribal planning program

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005

EWU tribal planning program

Does anyone know anything about the tribal planning specialization of the MURP program at Eastern Washington University? I haven't been able to find much information about it.

Registered
    May 2005
    Hi Teofilo,

You might try contacting Ted Jojola over at the UNM Community and Regional Planning program (http://www.unm.edu/~crp/). He was a principal driving force behind the APA's accepting the Indigenous Planning Division: http://www.planning.org/indigenous/

Maybe he could provide some insight into the Eastern Washington Program. PM me if you need any specifics about Ted or how to get in touch with folks at the UNM department. Good luck!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Thanks, wahday.

I'm actually a bit surprised that UNM doesn't have a concentration in this area (though they do seem to have some courses). As far as I can tell EWU offers the only one at the master's level. If anyone knows of any others, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Registered
    May 2005
    UNM's program "emphases" focus on planning areas rather than specific regions or populations: Natural Resources Planning, Community Development and Physical Planning (though this one is currently lacking a professor to head it up). They decided to take this tack rather than focusing on particular kinds of community I think because they see that these issues cut across cultural and community boundaries quite alot. I think their real strength is in developing community planning strategies to be used in a variety of contexts. Lots of emphasis on process, consensus building, and the public interface.

Its worth looking at their statement on racism and sexism to get an idea of the staff's ethos regarding these issues: http://www.unm.edu/~crp/About%20us.html#statement

All that being said, its worth noting that there are many Native students in the program, many of whom also take classes in the Native American Studies department or other areas that relate to their particular interests (UNM has a strong Tribal Law program as well: http://lawschool.unm.edu/indian/tlj.php). There are also many other folks with a keen interest in Indigenous Planning topics, so these issues are a significant part of the program, even though they don't have a "tribal planning" emphasis (we spent a semester working on some historic/cultural preservation issues at Isleta Pueblo). Many UNM graduates have gone on to work at regional Pueblos or on the Navajo and Apache reservations.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Interesting. I haven't really been looking at UNM as a place to go for grad school, mostly because getting out of Albuquerque is a high priority for me, but they do seem to have some good stuff going on in that program.

EWU Grad here....

Great program. If you want to learn more, talk to Dr. Dick Winchell in the Department. He's the Department Head and head of the program. We have done alot of work with the various local tribles in and around Pacific Northwest.....

Ph: 509-358-2230
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by teofilo View post
    Interesting. I haven't really been looking at UNM as a place to go for grad school, mostly because getting out of Albuquerque is a high priority for me, but they do seem to have some good stuff going on in that program.
    I figured you were probably looking to go further afield. Talking to Ted Jojola might not be a bad idea, though, just to get some impressions of other programs. I am sure he is aware of them since he has taken on a leadership role in the Indigenous Planning Division at APA. Or take CCMNUT39's advice and talk to the folks in Washington directly. Or both!

Good luck!

Registered
    Nov 2011

EWU Tribal Planning

EWU has just approved an Executive Tribal Planning Certificate at the graduate level, 23 credits offered in regular classes in Spokane, in our Summer Institute in Tribal Planning (mid- to late- June), and in an on-line offering. The on-line Certificate Program will begin January 9 with 2 classes each quarter, including Summer, that will allow students to complete the certificate in one year on-line. Dr. Kelvin Frank, a Cree tribal member, has been hired as Director of Tribal Planning Programs this Fall. Please see the attached website:

http://outreach.ewu.edu/online/degre...rtificate.html

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Aug 2009, 3:39 PM
  2. Tribal zoning conflicts
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Aug 2009, 3:40 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 11:04 AM
  4. Replies: 7