Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McGill - Fall 2011

Registered
    Apr 2011

McGill - Fall 2011

Jumping on the specific-school-topic bandwagon! Who will be attending McGill this fall? Are you planning on specializing? Tell us a little bit about yourself!

In the Canadian acceptance thread I posted ongoing emails with Gladys/McGill that related to funding, so to continue that trend here is the latest bit of information I have received:

The committee will be finalizing most of the funding allocation by next week. You can keep your fingers crossed.

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Hello!

As may be apparent in the other thread I'm in a bit of a tricky place but I would like to return to uni in the Fall. Just decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and paid McGill my deposit. (I'm really quite in limbo so I don't know if I'll have the pleasure of joining the rest of you but if so I look forward to it!)

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Hi there, and congratulations to everyone!

I, for one, am thrilled to be doing the Masters starting this fall. I've had my eye on McGill for a little while and applied only there. Montreal is amazing, and although I love to geek out on urban sociology I'm excited about the professional training bent of the McGill program.

I'm French and American, grew up in Chicago, currently living in Casablanca, Morocco on a scholarship from the Rotary Foundation and blogging about urban issues: ptitaptit.wordpress.com.

Not sure what I'll be specializing in, but ultimately I want to work as a consultant for non-profit, neighborhood-level development projects. My professional background (what there is of it) is in affordable housing in Chicago.

Any other Americans attending this fall? French?

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Kathleen

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Hi Kathleen!

I am also very excited. I'm from Victoria, BC, so it's going to be a cross-country move for me. I'm a little nervous about how to accomplish this move, and it will be the first time living outside of my home city!

I've had a little planning experience serving on the City of Victoria advisory committees (Planning Committee and Heritage Committee). I'm very interested in both transportation and urban design, so I think I'll be keeping my degree general and taking courses from all over.

Very little French for me (just what I remember from high school). I was thinking about relearning it sometime soon!

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2010
    Hi Kathleen and Mike!

I've grown up in various countries but have a particular interest in SE Asia - and w/ it, the development perspective. With regard to potential specializations, I'm interested in transportation planning. I think Canada's infrastructure has fallen behind to a degree.

I don't have any planning experience but have some experience w/ policy from a stint in a political office on the Hill. Being more interested in what is best for Canada as a country rather than in any one political party, I'll avoid mentioning to which party the MP I worked for belongs; however, if you want to talk politics w/ me elsewhere I'm generally game!

- Keharn

P.S. Have you set up your email accounts? I was looking at the letter from McGill with the link ("newbies") that doesn't seem to go anywhere and was hesitating to bug IT Services just yet.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys! Good call on the separate thread.

I'm exciting to have received an acceptance but haven't made a decision yet. I may re-apply next year (McGill will keep documents on file for a year). I'm definitely curious about funding though. I received the acceptance email 3 or 4 weeks ago, but nothing in the mail and no mention of funding.

My background is in public policy and I work in 'social planning' now. Honestly, my concern is that (since I'm working currently) I could come out of it with fewer employment options then I have now. :\

Anyway, I might see you there! If so, I'll be looking for housemates in Montreal.

Heather

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Hi all!

I peeked at this thread out of interest- I am actually going to start a master's in urban planning program this fall at Georgia Tech, but I went to McGill for undergrad so am very interested in what people have to say about the program.

Additionally, I am very familiar with Montreal (half of my family is from there also) and it's a fabulous city. If anybody needs a reference point for general information about the city, transportation, neighborhoods etc. I'm glad to offer up my input.

good luck everyone!

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally posted by hhunter View post

My background is in public policy and I work in 'social planning' now. Honestly, my concern is that (since I'm working currently) I could come out of it with fewer employment options then I have now. :\

Heather
    Shudder...

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally posted by PreDefined View post

P.S. Have you set up your email accounts? I was looking at the letter from McGill with the link ("newbies") that doesn't seem to go anywhere and was hesitating to bug IT Services just yet.
    Hey Keharn,

I'm not living at the address where I had the letter sent since I'm abroad this year, so I don't know what link you're talking about. I've been able to log into Minerva, but I'm not sure what it is that I'm supposed to be able to do at this point.

When is everyone planning on moving to Montreal? I think I'll be heading up around August 23rd and will have to crash with friends until my husband and I find a place. Anyone coming earlier?

Kathleen

Registered
    Apr 2011
    I have been able to log in but didn't notice that email at all...

I haven't decided on the move date, but I think I'll be there in August too. Probably early August so I can experience the Montreal summer

Registered
    Apr 2011
    I just received an email from Gladys informing me I was awarded a $2500 Graduate Excellence Fellowship! Exciting!

Registered
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Chips View post
    I just received an email from Gladys informing me I was awarded a $2500 Graduate Excellence Fellowship! Exciting!
    Congratulations!!!

FULL SCHOLARSHIP?

Hey Hey,

Does anybody know if there are any full scholarships available at McGill school that cover tuition fees, + stipend for living expenses? OR Do you know anybody who had it (or has it now) in the past?

I am very curious about it: i can't believe that so many people pay for tuition! I've heard in States 95% master students have scholarships....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Aug 2011, 10:32 AM
  2. Dalhousie Fall 2011
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 3:30 PM
  3. USC MPL - Fall 2011
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 May 2011, 1:57 PM