Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much vacation time do you get?

Registered
    Nov 2009

How much vacation time do you get?

All this day dreaming about vacation resurfaced a question I have about how much vacation time most people get.

Does the private sector or public sector typically get more?
    How many weeks do you get?
    How soon can you use your vacation time?
    Does your employer offer additional vacation days after years of employment?

I earn 80 hours of vacation time per year. New employees cannot use vacation time until after 1 year of employment. I do not accrue additional vacation hours after years of service, so an employee who has been here for 2 years and one that has been here for 20 years both get 2 weeks. This seems pretty standard, but I have noticed that several employers offer additional vacation time depending on years of service, normally something like 1 day per year.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Private sector - I currently get 22 days paid time off (PTO) per year, two floating holidays, and seven fixed holidays. Employees can take the floating holidays as soon as they start work, and can take PTO as soon as they accrue the amount of time they want to take off. The amount of PTO does increase with longevity within the firm.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    80 hrs until 8 years then 120 hours.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Private Sector/Self Employed - I can take off as much time as I think I can afford. In practice, I rarely take more than the two to three weeks that I earned when I was an employee. Damn you, work ethic!!!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Negotiated 3 vacation weeks per year to start with in my new job (would have much less under the personnel policy for a new hire otherwise...wasn't going back to that after spending 11 years in my old job to get up to almost 4 weeks per year...but was willing to compromise down to 3 after starting my negotiating position at 3.5 weeks).

Also negotiated being able to take 1 week off during my first 6 months probationary period which typically is not allowed.

The standard accrual rates at my current employer are:

Less than 5 years - 1.54 hrs earned per week, to a max accrual of 160 hrs
    At least 5 years but less than 10 - 2.31 hrs earned per week, to a max accrual of 240 hrs
    At least 10 years but less than 15 - 3.08 hrs earned per week, to a max accrual of 320 hrs
    At least 15 years - 3.85 hrs earned per week, to a max accrual of 400 hrs
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB NHPlanner

Vacation Time earned
    < 5 yrs = 2 weeks
    5-9 yrs = 3 weeks
    10-14 yrs = 4 weeks
    15-19 yrs = 5 weeks
    20 + = 6 weeks

Trade off is this benefit over higher salary.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'm public sector and get 6 days right off the bat at the start of each calendar year and an additional 3.69 hours each 80 hour pay period. That works out to a total of about 18 days off a year which, when I add it up like that sounds a bit better than I thought.

Early next year I hit the 5 year mark with my employer and the rate will go up to 4.61 hours per pay period giving me a total of 21 days off a year. Not too shabby.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2010
    Sixth year at public sector position. 5 hours vacation accrual every two weeks. 2 floating holidays per year. 120 hours administrative leave per year.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Public sector here.

1 year - 1 week
    2-4 years - 2 weeks
    5-11 years - 3 weeks
    12+ years - 4 weeks.

Vacation can not accrue. In addition, 2 personal days per year + 13 sick days per year that can accrue. My wife is a teacher and does not get any "vacation days" when school is in session, so we have to travel over the summer. I would rather get paid less have have more vacation so we can take a few weeks to travel when she can.

A buddy of mine works for the local community college doing non-teaching work and gets a total of 8 weeks per year in vacation plus sick time. That's sickening to me, only because of jealousy.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Start accruing vacation time at date of hire but can't use it until after 6 month probationary period.

12 paid holidays a year.
    5 personal days.

12 vacation days a year, with 2 additional after 1 year of continuous service, 3 add'l after 2 years of cont., 4 after 3 etc. up to a possible 13 extra days of vacation after 25 years. <-- don't see that one happening. We also get 1 add'l day on our anniversary date. So I'll be up to 18 vacation days come October.

We also get to accrue comp time which we can use as PTO. So far this year I've accrued an additional 21 days of PTO.

So with all the headaches that come from working in the public sector and dealing with low pay and bozos, we do have the perk of getting out of the office a fair amount. Thank heavens!

Come December the office is pretty much empty.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Due to my longevity I get 31 PTO days a year. Back when we had sick days, it would work out to 22 vaction days and almost 8 sick days. My agency is pretty skimpy when it comes to days off in terms of federal/bank holidays. There are about 5 days a year my phone don't ring. My job has me coordinate with other governmental agencies.

Now that we have PTO and I have my bank maxed out I pretty much have to use all my days or lose them. I have come close to losing days for the last few years.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    3 weeks at Year 1 because I am a "manager", will max out at 6 weeks at Year 3.

10 holidays + 2 floating holidays

I get comp time for planning board hearings, community event outreach after hours/weekends, and teaching the homebuyer education classes.

I will be on maternity leave for 8-12 weeks without having to take vacation thanks to the state of NJ for footing the bill under their disability and FMLA leave laws. Yeah it maxes out at $559 per week but still better than the big fat goose egg most other states offer.

I guess I do alright!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001

Public sector

My current rates are:
    96 hours per year of sick leave (currently have 417+ hours available)
    120 hours per year of vacation (145+ hours available)

11 paid holidays
    Annoyingly insensitive

Private here:

20 days per year, although Christmas shutdown we are forced to take at least 8 of those. We also have a system here whereby you can forfeit 2 weeks pay over the course of the year to get an extra two weeks holiday. Good for people with kids at school, younger people who want to travel etc

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    My current rates are:
    96 hours per year of sick leave (currently have 417+ hours available)
    120 hours per year of vacation (145+ hours available)

11 paid holidays
    Off-topic:
    I haven't worked anywhere that separated sick leave and vacation since I left the employment of the State of Georgia 11 years ago - employees with less than five years of service at that time received 120 hours/year of both vacation and sick leave, all of which rolled over from year to year. One thing new employees were told during orientation was not to bother with paying for the optional short-term disability insurance due to the amount of sick leave you would accrue...I had somewhere around 340 hours banked when I resigned, which was not going to be paid to me unlike the vacation time I had accrued...fortunately we had a system that allowed you to donate your sick leave to other employees facing medical hardships.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Local govt. here. 120 hours vacation, 96 hours sick time, 24 hours 'personal time', 24 hours flex holiday time and Xmas, T-day, Friday after T-day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, New Years, Independence Day and half a day Good Friday (I have no idea how this religious holiday sneaked in as we don't have a particularly large Catholic population)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Three weeks paid vacation leave a year, plus the usual stat holidays.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In the years since I have started working for myself I have usually been able to take off whenever I want. At the same time, though, ther are many times I have worked holidays and weekends, and always bring work along when we take a vacation. The two seem to blend together. There are many times I incorporate stops to call on potential clients in the morning, and then hike in the afternoon. I may play all day, then go back to the hotel to write for four hours. At home I may work in the morning, take Luke for a long hike in the afternoon, and then work again in the evening. Altogether, I prefer that approach to a defined 8-5 work schedule.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is responding to this thread on the same weekend I am taking a Monday vacation day.

I am at 4 weeks of vacation. That is the max at my private employer. Because of my position I also have 20 days of personal time available. I use a couple a year and they do not roll-over. My choice.

Holiday List: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve (1/2 Day), Christmas, New Year's Eve (1/2 Day).

We get a floating holiday when a holiday falls on a weekend.

Normal for the employers in America that create the most jobs, primarily because of low tax rates that encourage hiring.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I get a minimum of 25 days a year, which is about average in Dubai.

On top of the annual leave days, we get the Muslim holidays, New Year's Day, National Day, and the company also gives everyone December 25th and 26th off. We're allowed to work on an official holiday and transfer those days to our annual leave balance. So I generally work through most of the Muslim holidays if they happen in the middle of the week.

Company policy is that if you work on a weekend, the days are added to your annual leave balance.

So far I have worked 15 weekend days this year.

I've already used up 22 days this year for two 2 x week vacations and one long weekend. I have 25 days left in my leave balance but anticipate taking 15 of those days by the end of the year. 5 days will be carried over to next year's balance and the remaining five will be cashed out (along with any additonal days I accrue this year from weekend/holiday work).

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I work in the private sector for a small company and just started this year. The first year, you get 80 hours (10 days) of paid-time-off (PTO). But since I started in April, they prorated my vacation time, making it only 60 hours (7.5 days) for me from April through the end of this year. I'm not sure if I get more vacation days the longer I stay, but I do know that my workplace is very loosey-goosey and lenient about things in general, and as long as you're not abusing the policy, you probably could get a little more PTO if you needed to. It also seems like PTO is definitely an area where you could negotiate to get more pretty easily.

I also get 5 sick days. They added in a floating holiday too (which I used for Good Friday). Otherwise, it's just the primary holidays that the office is closed (New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas). I'm not sure if the office is closed on Black Friday or Christmas Eve yet. Should probably find that out as I start considering what days to take off around the holidays before the year ends.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2006
    5 years with the organization. 20 days vaca, 3 personal days, 15 days sick. 12 holidays. Not complaining.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Private sector, 9+ years employed. 192 hours per year, or 4.8 weeks/24 days per year.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but we treat sick days and vacation days the same (thus, we never have malingerers - we don't care if you're sick or playing hookey). Also, we only get certain holidays - never MLK or the other minor holidays, just the major ones. Only one day off for Christmas (or Thanksgiving, forget which - we get two days for the other one).

These factors always make it difficult to compare apples-to-apples with the public sector - especially when you need to consider the full compensation package.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Well it sure seems like public sector planners take the prize on vacation/sick/pto days off per year.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Well it sure seems like public sector planners take the prize on vacation/sick/pto days off per year.
    Probably true, though in my experience, the pay scales aren't comparable. Generally, at entry level public sector pays better; at higher tiers, unless you become planning director, private sector pays much better. This assumes a better economy than the one we have now, of course
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Vacation time and travel
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 5:30 PM
  2. Christmas Vacation Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 19 Dec 2007, 9:58 PM
  3. Replies: 3