Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Favorite Buildings on the Planet

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Favorite Buildings on the Planet

One of the biggest things that define a place is the buildings that occupy space. They might tell a story about the way things once were, or show prominence regarding the activities inside that structure. We all have favorites.
    What buildings are your favorites? Have you been to them? Why are they your favorites?
    "I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which, was that you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love." - Jim Carrey

Registered
    Dec 2010
    The JRTC in Chicago.....

Hahaha just kidding

I love the City Museum in St. Louis. If you've ever been there, no explanation required.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    One of my favorites is the Federal Reserve Bank branch in Detroit. The architecture is nothing spectacular but the security is out of this world. And this is coming from somebody who has worked in a Marine Corps command center and been through some very secure areas on land and sea. I could spend hours just watching trucks come and go at the Fed.

Watching the inside of the vault is pretty cool too since it's all automated with robotic forklifts and vehicles all working inside a 4-story room moving big cubes of money around. It would be just as interesting to watch it all work even if they were storing moth balls or cans of soup.

I don't know if I have an absolute favorite building on the planet though. The Sagrada Família in Barcelona was definitely awe inspiring to see in person and I really like church architecture in general but there are a few pretty impressive, but much smaller scaled churches here in metro Detroit too.

The old town/walled area of Dubrovnik in Croatia was really cool to see but I don't think any one particular building was any more spectacular than the next. There I think it was the fact that so much of the old city is still standing that is the most impressive thing.

I went to the top of the World Trade Center exactly a month before it came down and before I was on the roof, I just couldn't comprehend how tall it was. I had seen it from the plaza on the street level many times before but that just didn't do it justice. From the top, the Statue of Liberty looked like a Lego person.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Feb 2009, 9:40 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 6:28 PM
  3. Houston...... we’ve lost a planet.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 25 Aug 2006, 2:10 PM
  4. Planet of the Apes
    Friday Afternoon Club