Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Site plan expiration notifications

Registered
    Nov 2009

Site plan expiration notifications

Does your municipality play any sort of role in notifying a developer that a plan of theirs is about to expire (due to whatever related time limitations specified in code), or are you silent on any duty to notify and upon a developer looking to do "X" you look up the information on file and tell them, nope your plan has expired and you must start over?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a courtesy, we notify developers when their permits have 6 months until they expire. I also make sure that I notify them that it's time to renew when I write inspection reports. We aren't obligated to notify them; it's our office policy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our permits stipulate the expiration date. We do not notify the applicant. I've never worked is a jurisdiction that gave notice of an upcoming expiration. It's the applicant's responsibility. We're not nannies.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I've never worked is a jurisdiction that gave notice of an upcoming expiration. It's the applicant's responsibility. We're not nannies.
    Me neither.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We're being told by above that with the "excellent" database system we've now implemented that we should provide better customer service in notifying developers of pending expirations to their plan. I would agree with the viewpoint that we shouldn't be nannies. What makes this also awkward is that often times the property with its development rights have been sold to someone else and we don't get notified by the developer in the entity and associated address change (though we require notification of any changes).

I fear that if we are going to start notifying we will "screw up" being able to successfully notify someone due to the "excellent" software, change in ownership etc. Whether what should constitute a courtesy amounts to a duty and opens us to liability is what concerns me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    .... What makes this also awkward is that often times the property with its development rights have been sold to someone else and we don't get notified by the developer in the entity and associated address change (though we require notification of any changes).....
    Why?

The phrase is "due diligence." These are private real estate transactions. It's not government's responsibility. We get enough grief for the (sometimes silly) regulations we're required to implement and explain. ("Hey, they passed that ordinance before I got here!" My favorite explanation. Or, "commissioner, you voted for it.")
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We require notification of any changes to the developer/owner per our language in all our development agreements. Not for regulatory purposes, just for notice. I think it's akin to when someone mortgage has been sold from one bank to another, it's good to know the players have changed even if the terms are the same.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Administration / review / process Site plan expirations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 May 2011, 8:46 AM
  2. Administration / review / process Site plan amendments
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 9:23 AM
  3. Site plan review question
    Land Use and Zoning