Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Royal Committee on British English convenes

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The Royal Committee on British English convenes

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    We must have heard the same program. I was thinking the exact same thing about how "Barack" was pronounced.
    Brock Obamer, now that they're tired of saying Barrick Obamer.

I'm also convinced there's a Royal Committee of British English, that makes up British equivalents to words and phrases that may seem too American to their ears.

"Next on the agenda, ball-peen hammer."
    "I agree, Ian, that's too American. May I make a recommendation for vicar's strike?"
    "Excellent choice, Simon. Anyone else?"
    "I was thinking more along the lines of quartermaster's blow?"
    "Well, Nigel, that sounds classically British, and it also has a suggestiveness that will make immature Americans giggle. Vicar's strike just seems to roll off the tongue better, though. What do the rest of you think? Hugh? Colin? Clive? Liam? Trevor? Clive? Very well, vicar's strike it is. Next up, stapler ..."
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    What do the rest of you think? Hugh? Colin? Clive? Liam? Trevor? Clive? Very well, vicker's strike it is. Next up, stapler ..."
    Off-topic:
    That idear is seriously worthy of at least a three minute sketch on SNL.

Oh, and for stapler I think 'clerk's punch' (but pronounced 'clark's punch') would do nicely.
    Last edited by Maister; 09 Feb 2011 at 4:54 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    I will second that, I just spit Coke all over my computer!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Brock Obamer, now that they're tired of saying Barrick Obamer.

I'm also convinced there's a Royal Committee of British English, that makes up British equivalents to words and phrases that may seem too American to their ears.

"Next on the agenda, ball-peen hammer."
    "I agree, Ian, that's too American. May I make a recommendation for vicar's strike?"
    "Excellent choice, Simon. Anyone else?"
    "I was thinking more along the lines of quartermaster's blow?"
    "Well, Nigel, that sounds classically British, and it also has a suggestiveness that will make immature Americans giggle. Vicar's strike just seems to roll off the tongue better, though. What do the rest of you think? Hugh? Colin? Clive? Liam? Trevor? Clive? Very well, vicar's strike it is. Next up, stapler ..."
    Thank-you for making all my co-workers think I'm crazy for laughing alone in my office.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:

Oh, and for stapler I think 'clerk's punch' (but pronounced 'clark's punch') would do nicely.
    Might I suggest wire tuck, Graham? Or, in our grand British tradition of using brand names for objects, let's just call all of them Swinglines.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Thank-you for making all my co-workers think I'm crazy for laughing alone in my office.
    Ditto! Though that happens when I'm on this site...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Might I suggest wire tuck, Graham? Or, in our grand British tradition of using brand names for objects, let's just call all of them Swinglines.
    Capital idea, Ian, old boy! But my "stapler," as the bloody Americans say, is a Swingline Tot 50. Seems rather more obscure if we call them "tots." "I say, would you be so kind as to pass me your tot?" "Dash it all, my tot is out of bendies. Bad luck."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    "Dash it all, my tot is out of bendies. Bad luck."
    Nigel, if I dare say, we already call paper clips bendies.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Capital idea, Ian, old boy! But my "stapler," as the bloody Americans say, is a Swingline Tot 50. Seems rather more obscure if we call them "tots." "I say, would you be so kind as to pass me your tot?" "Dash it all, my tot is out of bendies. Bad luck."
    Splendid idea Heath, but 'tot' (as in tot of rum) has already been taken as a British naval term. Hard cheese old boy.

Now does anyone else think the word 'computer' is drawled a bit too easily by Texans? Must be something we can do about that. Nigel, what do you think?

Moderator note:
    split from stuff you know they're pulling out of their asses

Remember the BBC's handling of the name 'Mujahadin' in Afghanistan during the 80's? I swear it changed monthly. Moo-JAH-hay-DEEN...Moo-jah-HEE-den...etc
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Feb 2011 at 8:57 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Why, Ian, brilliant idea! "Computer" just sounds so...dry. I propose we go with the term "Reckoning box", instead. What say you, Gareth, old chap?

I've also a quibble with the term "couch". It sounds so harsh, wouldn't you say? "Rumpus machine" has a much more British ring to it, wouldn't you agree?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'll take British English over American...whatever language it is you think you're speaking, any day.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I'll take British English over American...whatever language it is you think you're speaking, any day.
    C'mon Tran, play along....please. You of all people should be the best one for a thread like this.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    These Frosttodders are so amusing, aren't they, Gavin? I believe they got their inspiration for chesterfield from our word for a recliner, a cheltenham.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Desmond, a chap left a message on my call-minder this morning whingeing about how we lack suitably British terms for hand sanitizer and tongue depressors. Do you think you might assist us in devising some?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Right Nigel, I have a bit of the ole jel clean in the far corner of the work desk. As far as the mouth sticksgoes, check with the bird down the hall - you know, Penelope. Yeah?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Sep 2012, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 4:09 PM
  3. The respectful royal wedding thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 29 Apr 2011, 9:21 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Jul 2004, 3:52 PM