Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GW Sustainable Urban Planning Program

GW Sustainable Urban Planning Program

I'm thinking of applying to the GW Sustainable Urban Planning MPS degree for the fall of 2012.

As a GW alum, I am familiar with the DC area and would love to get back down there due to the plethora of job opportunities. However, since it's such a new program (and not exactly a "MURP") I'm wondering if it's a good fit for me.

On the website, it stresses that many students come from professional backgrounds and having only 2 years non-planning related experience post-undergrad, I'm wondering if I'd be in a little over my head.

Anyone on Cyburbia that enrolled for the inaugural Fall 2011 term? Thoughts? Any hope for planning-related assistantships/fellowships?

Registered
    Jul 2011

GW

Just keep in mind that GW's program is not accredited by the PAB or national planners accreditation board. This will impact your AICP timeline, if you are pursuing it. Also, it's a new program and their focus seems to be sustainability and environmental from what I've seen. Sustainibility should be a part of every planning program.

Other than that it's a great location for jobs in the industry and I'm sure it will grow exponentially due to the universities reputation and high standards. You've got to ask yourself if your willing to be in the "lab rat" stages of what will surely be a great program down the road.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    In terms of going to an unaccredited masters program and AICP, you only have to work one more year (three instead of two) in order to quality for AICP. In fact, AICP eligiblity rules are so permissive you can have any college degree and sit for the exam as long as you have four years of experience.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Dec 2008, 12:25 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 11:12 PM
  3. NYU Urban Planning program
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Jun 2008, 5:37 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 6:07 AM