Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The mini-Walmarts* are coming

Registered
    Jul 2005
    The mini ones are talking <15ksf, really limited selection of foor and merchandise, aimed at quick shopping trips but I would imagine a better selection and management than Dollar General. And this is coming from someone who regularly shops at DG (best place around for generic snacks and nuts etc). The original article is pretty interesting in how they will have it tied into their distribution system, you can order anything in their whole system and have it delivered to the small store.

40ksf is more like their Neighborhood Market, full line of groceries with limited merchandise, same as any supermarket. 90ksf referenced above is pretty much the size of their original stores before they added grocery to make it a supercenter.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm a big fan of Dollar General as a company -- though I don't shop there much.

For a couple of decades now, DG has ventured into rural communities that Walmart wouldn't touch. DG has also expanded its urban footprint, going into poorer neighborhoods. Heck, here in Nashville (the home of DG corporate), DG built a store in a HOPE VI community that was burned down in a riot; after that happened, DG rebuilt the store. Not many companies would have done that.

I've also written a bit on another thread about the DG Market concept. They're being tested here in Nashville and in one of the more rural communities 30 miles outside of town. The market concept includes a more complete grocery section -- and fresh produce. They seem to be going over very well here, and I hope the concept makes its way to more places soon.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Walmart in Chinatown, Los Angeles

I believe it.

Walmart is attempting to build in Chinatown of Los Angeles. This is big news, especially for the residents and small business owners of this historic area.

As an aside: Walmart has quite a history in Los Angeles. In 2004, Walmart tried to move into Inglewood. In response, community groups pushed for a Big Box Ordinance that mandated Walmart to conduct an economic and environment impact analysis in order to receive a building permit. (Un)fortunately, Walmart was blocked from building.

Fast forward 8 years later... Today, Walmart faces that same battle. To navigate the Big Box Ordinance, Walmart proposed to build a smaller grocery store. As expected, there is a battle around the issue, including local electeds, community groups, and local business associations.

We'll see, what's to happen.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Where the heck are they already? Haven't seen any in my neck of the woods (New England)..

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Where the heck are they already? Haven't seen any in my neck of the woods (New England)..
    Tell hell with the mini-walmarts... I am still trying to process a supercenter
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Tell hell with the mini-walmarts... I am still trying to process a supercenter
    You Californians and your silly environmental rules..

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Basically, he told me the new focus is rural and small town communities and targeting the success of Dollar Generals and their ilk.
    That makes sense. DG has been wildly successful during the recession in rural SE.

I have a friend in FLA who is there consultant, they can't put those things up and faster...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Rumors are swirling throughout my jurisdiction that our first Neighborhood Market application is coming...soon.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Got one.....

We have one Neighborhood (name that shall not be spoken) market.....I haven't visited yet.....in an old grocery carcass.

Dollar General Market seems to fill a gap in service for some low income areas here. They should be given an award for providing access to produce where it was previously unknown.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Rumors are swirling throughout my jurisdiction that our first Neighborhood Market application is coming...soon.
    We have one going in about two miles south of here, to the consternation of about half the neighborhood.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    There was one built in the next town over. It'll be good for them not to drive 20 miles for groceries at the big Wally World in my town.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    We have one Neighborhood (name that shall not be spoken) market.....I haven't visited yet.....in an old grocery carcass.

Dollar General Market seems to fill a gap in service for some low income areas here. They should be given an award for providing access to produce where it was previously unknown.
    We have one DG just finishing up here (they've failed their final like 3 times now) and another one in the very beginning stages. Our county is only around 27k, fairly rural. Both of these are located pretty much out of the way. Actually the community reception for them has been fairly good. One is maybe 2 miles from our high end residential community and they were excited about it which surprised me. To get to this Dollar General from my office takes somewhere around 30 minutes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    We got our first Neighborhood Market this year. They had to rezone, which was a fun process when no one knew what it actually was (just some sort of grocery store). It got leaked to me early on what it was and I was kind enough to share the information with my office. It was funny how many people were excited about it because they thought it would be a Trader Joe's (even though the site plan clearly showed it was too big to be a Trader Joe's and that there were also plans for a fuel station). When I got to release the name of the store to the press, people complained about it. Funny enough, the parking lot is still full every time you drive by.

I live in a suburban/rural county. This went in on one of our well-traveled regional corridors, but on the outside of the suburban area. Enough to provide some additional convenience to those that live outside of the high-density areas, but still in a place where there are other major grocery stores not too far away. The DGs are popping up all over the rural areas here, which actually is pretty nice and I think makes sense (even if I personally find them tacky).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They started putting neighborhood markets in the Milwaukee area a couple years ago. There is one not far from me, in the piece of the shell of an old Walmart discount store that they left standing after building a superstore a couple miles away. It has been open a year or maybe two, but I have yet to go in.

What is interesting is seeing all of the Walmart Express stores going into rural areas, particularly in the southeast and plains states. They are about the same size as a Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, or similar store. The biggest differences are that they include a pharmacy, gas pumps, and stock more food.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We haven't even had a pre-app meeting with the developer yet but the wealthy gated community NIMBY neighbors have already created a Facebook page in opposition to the rumored project. Facebook, right, that'll have an impact. This is going to be more fun to watch than the monkeys in the zoo. And why did the local TV station quote me using my middle initial?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2013
    Like most of you I have a disdain from wally world. The link wouldn't work so I'm assuming these will be the same size scale as say something like a Fred's or Dollar General. Possibly a pharmacy, with a grocery section, and some general items?

It seems like Walmart may be onto some kind of hub and spoke business model. I don't see many of the regular Walmarts around anymore so I think most of them have been replaced by Super Centers. I lived in a smaller but still suburban town up until a couple of months ago. The town was within commuting distance but not off a major corridor. The Supercenters were off the interstate. Walmart came in and built one of these neighborhood markets where they mostly sell groceries and not car batteries and other miscellaneous junk. I have a feeling they may end up having their Super Centers and Sam's Clubs off the major corridors, their neighborhood markets in exurban areas, and these mini marts in smaller rural towns.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I noticed a couple of years ago that Walmart (<- this should be in the emoticon list! ) no longer calls them 'Supercenters' (no signs on the buildings to that effect).

That said, there will always be a market for the local neighborhood-level general this and that store and right now, companies like DG, Aldi and so forth have been filling that niche.

Also, didn't Walmart get their Supercenter idea from the earlier European suburban hypermarkets?

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Got hitched at the Walmarts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Oct 2003, 9:26 AM
  2. A use for Walmarts HUGE lots?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 20 Oct 2003, 10:30 PM