Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The mini-Walmarts* are coming

Registered
    Jul 2005
    The mini ones are talking <15ksf, really limited selection of foor and merchandise, aimed at quick shopping trips but I would imagine a better selection and management than Dollar General. And this is coming from someone who regularly shops at DG (best place around for generic snacks and nuts etc). The original article is pretty interesting in how they will have it tied into their distribution system, you can order anything in their whole system and have it delivered to the small store.

40ksf is more like their Neighborhood Market, full line of groceries with limited merchandise, same as any supermarket. 90ksf referenced above is pretty much the size of their original stores before they added grocery to make it a supercenter.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm a big fan of Dollar General as a company -- though I don't shop there much.

For a couple of decades now, DG has ventured into rural communities that Walmart wouldn't touch. DG has also expanded its urban footprint, going into poorer neighborhoods. Heck, here in Nashville (the home of DG corporate), DG built a store in a HOPE VI community that was burned down in a riot; after that happened, DG rebuilt the store. Not many companies would have done that.

I've also written a bit on another thread about the DG Market concept. They're being tested here in Nashville and in one of the more rural communities 30 miles outside of town. The market concept includes a more complete grocery section -- and fresh produce. They seem to be going over very well here, and I hope the concept makes its way to more places soon.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Walmart in Chinatown, Los Angeles

I believe it.

Walmart is attempting to build in Chinatown of Los Angeles. This is big news, especially for the residents and small business owners of this historic area.

As an aside: Walmart has quite a history in Los Angeles. In 2004, Walmart tried to move into Inglewood. In response, community groups pushed for a Big Box Ordinance that mandated Walmart to conduct an economic and environment impact analysis in order to receive a building permit. (Un)fortunately, Walmart was blocked from building.

Fast forward 8 years later... Today, Walmart faces that same battle. To navigate the Big Box Ordinance, Walmart proposed to build a smaller grocery store. As expected, there is a battle around the issue, including local electeds, community groups, and local business associations.

We'll see, what's to happen.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Where the heck are they already? Haven't seen any in my neck of the woods (New England)..

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Where the heck are they already? Haven't seen any in my neck of the woods (New England)..
    Tell hell with the mini-walmarts... I am still trying to process a supercenter
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Tell hell with the mini-walmarts... I am still trying to process a supercenter
    You Californians and your silly environmental rules..

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Basically, he told me the new focus is rural and small town communities and targeting the success of Dollar Generals and their ilk.
    That makes sense. DG has been wildly successful during the recession in rural SE.

I have a friend in FLA who is there consultant, they can't put those things up and faster...
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Got hitched at the Walmarts
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Oct 2003, 10:26 AM
  2. A use for Walmarts HUGE lots?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 20 Oct 2003, 11:30 PM
  3. Replies: 26