Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Substance abuse facilities

Registered
    Apr 2011

Substance abuse facilities

Certain neighborhoods in our city have seen an influx of substance abuse facilities. Investors and developers over paid for properties and are unable to develop them because of the real estate downturn. They now are renting the properties to substance abuse facilitators. The local residents have complained to the city at Planning and Zoning and Council meetings that they do not want these facilities in their neighborhood. The city's position is that these facilities can usurp local zoning and licensing thru the Americans with Disabilities Act. The patients are disabled and cannot be discriminated against in housing rights. Can the Americans with Disabilites Act be used by the substance abuse facilites in this manner? Isn't this stretching the law to the point of absurdity?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Great question - I wouldn't want to touch that one with a ten foot pole. In my city a man kept goats which our attorney said we had to allow because he was a licensed therapist and goats were used in his practice. It's tough when you mix federal law and local laws together.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2008
    When you say substance abuse facilities are you talking about rehabilitation centers, or what?

And this reminds me of the uproar in my city over a mental health housing project. Isn't this just a case of NIMBY?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RPfresh View post
    When you say substance abuse facilities are you talking about rehabilitation centers, or what?

And this reminds me of the uproar in my city over a mental health housing project. Isn't this just a case of NIMBY?
    That's what I would need to know as well - what do you mean by "substance abuse facilities"? Does it mean housing, medical services, counseling, all of the above?

We've had similar situations here where investors are buying properties for the MPRI (prisoner re-entry iniative). We make sure they specifically clarify what will take place on the property and then if it is solely residential we deal with it much like what I posted in the fraternity thread.

As far as the ADA goes, that's something the City Attorney would have to answer but I'd be curious to hear the answer.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Capt. Rich View post
    Certain neighborhoods in our city have seen an influx of substance abuse facilities. Investors and developers over paid for properties and are unable to develop them because of the real estate downturn. They now are renting the properties to substance abuse facilitators. The local residents have complained to the city at Planning and Zoning and Council meetings that they do not want these facilities in their neighborhood. The city's position is that these facilities can usurp local zoning and licensing thru the Americans with Disabilities Act. The patients are disabled and cannot be discriminated against in housing rights. Can the Americans with Disabilites Act be used by the substance abuse facilites in this manner? Isn't this stretching the law to the point of absurdity?
    It's actually Fair Housing Act if there is no on-site "care" (i.e. think medical). If it is like a halfway house or something similar, sober living facility, etc. Tread lightly. Our City is working on an ordinance to regulate things like sober living care in residential neighborhoods. We have examples of other jurisdictions, but i caution, work with your City Attorney to craft these things.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Aug 2012, 2:55 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 May 2011, 9:40 AM
  3. Overuse and Abuse of PUD?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 03 Oct 2004, 9:49 PM
  4. Serious Subject: Abuse
    Friday Afternoon Club