Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning Comm'rs Journal to Partner with Project for Public Spaces

Registered
    Feb 2007

Planning Comm'rs Journal to Partner with Project for Public Spaces

We're pleased to announce that the Planning Commissioners Journal will be partnering with Project for Public Spaces.

This partnership is an important step toward increasing "Placemaking" capacity and knowledge among PCJ readers who include members of local planning commissions and zoning boards, elected officials, and others involved in decision-making about the built environment.

Planning Commissioners Journal readers share many of the same interests and values as PPS members: a desire to strengthen downtowns; a deep interest in promoting civic values; and an understanding of the critical importance of involving local residents and businesses in decision-making.

As part of this partnership, PPS will share articles about the core concepts of Placemaking as well as our many resources and stories on strengthening public markets and local economies, creating public multi-use destinations, and many other topics. PPS’ resources will be featured in a “centerfold” in the Planning Commissioners Journal (starting with our Winter issue) and will also appear here on the PlannersWeb.

In return, PPS.org will feature PCJ articles on topics like transportation, livability, and helpful how-to’s for overcoming challenges citizen planners frequently encounter including tips on how to deal with the media, put together a comprehensive plan, run an effective meeting, and develop good staff-commissioner relations.

More About PPS

Project for Public Spaces is a nonprofit planning, design, and educational organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities. Their pioneering Placemaking approach helps citizens transform their public spaces into vital places that highlight local assets, spur rejuvenation and serve common needs.

PPS was founded in 1975 to expand on the work of William (Holly) Whyte, the author of The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces. Since then, PPS has completed projects in over 2,500 communities in 40 countries and all 50 U.S. states. Partnering with public and private organizations; federal, state and municipal agencies; business improvement districts; and neighborhood associations and other civic groups, PPS works to improve communities by fostering successful public spaces.

PPS has become an internationally recognized center for resources, tools, and inspiration about Placemaking.

Additional Note from PCJ Editor Wayne Senville

While I've followed the work of PPS for many years, I got to know their staff this past Spring while attending a PPS "Streets as Places" workshop. I was impressed by their skills, knowledge, and commitment to values I believe most planning commissioners and citizen planners share. Foremost among these is a belief in the critical importance of citizen involvement in planning for the future of our cities and towns.

You can read my reports from the Streets as Places workshop:

-- Can a Street Be a Place?

-- Circling the Square

-- Breaking Our Addiction to Highway Level of Service Standards

-- The Other Half of the "Deadly Duo"

-- Please Be Seated

-- There's a Good Story Here!

Wayne Senville, Editor
    PlannersWeb.com / Planning Commissioners Journal
    P.O. Box 4295, Burlington, VT 05406

Linkedin:www.linkedin.com/in/waynesenville
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/PlanningJournal
    email: pcjoffice@gmail.com

BANNED
    Registered
    Jul 2011
    I think this is great news. It is really good to see the planning commissioners journal to work in cohorts with project for public spaces. I think that with their resources channeled together that they can do a lot of good in our communities. It is great to them working together towards a common good.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Congrats on the new initiative from a fellow VTer.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Apr 2012, 7:25 PM
  2. The Journal (public television)
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Aug 2011, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 3:19 AM
  4. Copyrighting public spaces?
    Economic and Community Development