Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: ITE membership

Registered
    Oct 2001

ITE membership

Are there any Cyburbian's out there who are members of ITE? I was a student member of ITE while in graduate school and kept it during the first couple of years of my career mainly because someone else paid for it. My limited interaction with ITE then was that there were too many traffic engineers with the mentality of moving cars and not people. Well, it has been over a decade since I dropped my ITE membership and I am considering joining and would like any feedback current (or recently expired) ITE members can provide about ITE for a planner.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dharmster View post
    Are there any Cyburbian's out there who are members of ITE? ... My limited interaction with ITE then was that there were too many traffic engineers with the mentality of moving cars and not people. Well, it has been over a decade since I dropped my ITE membership and I am considering joining and would like any feedback current (or recently expired) ITE members can provide about ITE for a planner.
    Let me just say that my many abstract submissions (design and/or policy) to things associated with traffic engineers continue to get rejected. I don't know if the old-school box surrounds all the younger engineers, but the ones I meet seem to have more open minds. If you are doing it for access to technical papers there are other ways to gain access.

I would join ITE if I were you. I'd been a member of APA and ITE for years, especially while in the private sector. I'm only in APA now because I'd have to pay for ITE membership myself, but it was great. It helps to be well rounded and you get to know engineers and how they function and how to deal with them in the future, especially when you start with a project from the planning stage and it has to be implemented with the engineering stage.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Tranplanner thank you for your advice. I am leaning towards joining. My issue is whether or not
    paying for a second mebership (I am already AICP) out of my own pocket is worth it? At $275, it is a lot cheaper than APA/AIC but it still another recurring expense.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I don't find the ITE journal all that useful (maybe once a year or so they will have an issue dedicated to the "softer" side of transportation planning) but the networking/conference opportunities and discounts on resource materials are definitely worth it. It helps that my employer pays 100% of my membership (I'm the only member in the group so it gives everyone else access to the journal, etc.).

Our local chapter has a small membership fee which gets you in to their monthly luncheon meetings/social events. If all you are really looking for is the networking opportunities check to see if something similar is offered in your neck of the woods.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dharmster View post
    My issue is whether or not paying for a second mebership (I am already AICP) out of my own pocket is worth it?
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    I don't find the ITE journal all that useful (maybe once a year or so they will have an issue dedicated to the "softer" side of transportation planning) but the networking/conference opportunities and discounts on resource materials are definitely worth it. ... If all you are really looking for is the networking opportunities check to see if something similar is offered in your neck of the woods.
    Yes, to step back a minute to clarify: if you are looking at changing directions, you may want the networking aspect. If you are looking to be more knowledgeable, I'm not sure directly joining ITE is the best way to go (you can simply visit a college library).

All depends on what you are intending.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    IOur local chapter has a small membership fee which gets you in to their monthly luncheon meetings/social events. If all you are really looking for is the networking opportunities check to see if something similar is offered in your neck of the woods.
    Great, that's exactly what I need. The thing with APA is that they do some transportation events but unless you can afford the time and expense (or convince your employer to do the same) to go the National Planning Converence there are limited opportunites to talk transportation and network with other transportation planners.

CoolGI, it is about networking..

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I just reactivated my membership (required since I was a amember in the past). I'm already getting the electronic newsletter. Just wondering though how long before when I start getting invited to local events?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I don't believe notification of your local group is automatic, at least AFAIK it's not here in the Texas district... Usually it is working the other way around that the local sections are haranguing their local members to join international ITE.
    If you are in Virginia I would check the Virginia section's site to see about meetings.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Union Membership
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 20 Jun 2012, 5:39 PM
  2. APA membership
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 1:08 PM
  3. Cyburbian Plus membership now available
    Cyburbia Issues and Help