Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Examples of unique regional water resource partnerships?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Examples of unique regional water resource partnerships?

I'm looking for good examples of unique regional partnerships/organizations created to deal with water quantity, quality, and/or distribution issues. Ideally these partnerships involve more than one of the following: local governments, water providers, non-profits, regional and state agencies, federal agencies, military installations, etc. I'm not looking for a group with statutory authority, per se, or a state-mandated water resources partnership (a la Florida's water management districts). I'm specifically looking for groups that are looking to solve specific water resource issues in spite of a state or federal mandate to do so.

One good example I've found is the Upper San Pedro Partnership among a number of local and regional stakeholders in AZ including government, non-profit, and military installations.

Does anyone know of any similar examples?
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ORSANCO Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) deals with similar issues at Lake Tahoe, which spans the boundary of two states. They deal with more than just water supply though, as they mainly plan to ensure long-term water quality, viewsheds, etc. for Lake Tahoe.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2009
    These are helpful, but I'm really looking at multi-county partnerships that have come together due to a lack of other organizational capacity. Ideally something at the aquifer or watershed level that is still localized... perhaps involving counties in no more than one or two states.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post

I'm looking for good examples of unique regional partnerships/organizations created to deal with water quantity, quality, and/or distribution issues. Ideally these partnerships involve more than one of the following: local governments, water providers, non-profits, regional and state agencies, federal agencies, military installations, etc. I'm not looking for a group with statutory authority, per se, or a state-mandated water resources partnership (a la Florida's water management districts). I'm specifically looking for groups that are looking to solve specific water resource issues in spite of a state or federal mandate to do so.
    Are you looking for something like this, or something more like this, or along these lines? Point being: look to Colo for examples.

Registered
    Apr 2007

Little Tennessee

I've worked with the Little Tennessee Watershed Association before. Its more of a non profit than a governmental agency, but it was established due to a lack of insitutional capacity amongst the governments in far western North Carolina

http://www.ltwa.org/
    Transportation planning with **flair**

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    I know this thread is quite old, but figured I'd respond if anyone else is interested.

Tampa Bay Water is a regional water authority that provides drinking water to Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas Counties. They use groundwater, surface water, and also have a desalination plant which has a 25 mill g/day capacity. Although it only runs anywhere close to that during drought. It was created due to the inefficiency of the old regional water authority, as well as the numerous occasions of over pumping ground water that occurred under their watch.

http://www.tampabaywater.org/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Oct 2009, 12:13 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Feb 2009, 3:45 AM
  3. Public/private partnerships - examples?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2007, 11:52 AM
  4. Examples of regional cooperation
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 11:23 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Dec 2001, 6:19 PM