Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things to see in Toronto

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Things to see in Toronto

I'll be in Toronto this weekend prior to the National Trust for Historic Preservation conference in Buffalo. It seems we have a few regular members from Toronto. Any advice on things of interest to a planner (or just something I should add to my itinerary). Most of this is R&R/vacation, but while I'm there I'm sure there will be overlap with exploring the city as a planner.

I'm particularly interested in seeing the waterfront projects, but am not clear on what has been built and what is just planned. Coordinates (on a street map) would help me find places!

So far, I am planning to:

Bicycle the waterfront, Distillery District, Don River valley and Brickworks park
    Bicycle the Islands (just R&R) (and yes I know it'll be in the 50s!)
    Explore the central city from my base in the Kensington Market area
    Tour Cabbagetown
    ... and of course eat some good (cheap) food and see some live music ...

And if anyone is up for a beer, let me know ...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    How many days do you have? Sounds like you've got enough down already to last you a weekend.

Most of the recently completed waterfront projects are scattered across the Central Waterfront (from say Bathurst Street in the west to Parliament Street in the east), primarily along Queens Quay, which is the waterfront cycling route. The wavedeck and H2) Park (east of Spadina) and Sugar Beach (Jarvis Street) are personal favs. Lots of new condo developments along that stretch as well.

Kensington Market is a great location to explore itself. Try heading north up Spadina and then along Bloor Street through the Annex area and into Yorkville.

I'm not in Toronto anymore, and I think the other two regulars from there have dropped off the Cyburbia radar lately.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Each time I've been to Toronto I really enjoyed visiting St. Lawrence Market and surrounding neighborhood.

And the Beach neighborhood is nice and you can check out the "large" TND neighborhood extension that now has 10+ years of maturity on it:
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    Thanks! Tranplanner, I have a 3 day weekend - I'll probably set aside a full day for cycling with 2 days to see the city.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I agree with tranplanner it appears you have a lot on your plate. Don Valley is a large enough thing to take a day. I would concentrate on the islands. If you take the ferry from the Harbor Castle Hotel (Can't recall if its a hilton or a westin) you can expierence some of the waterfront on your way to the Islands. The Islands are very interesting in that you get a nice view of the skyline and it has other attractions.

Much of the waterfront however is full of private development. It certainly creates a barrier etween the rest of the City and the Lake. There are places where you can pierce the barrier though.

One last thing its a lot more difficult for U.S. Citizens to cross the border thanks to our overly paranoid federal government. Be sure you have a passport, enhanced driver's lisence, or proper paperwork on you or you may never be able to be let back in.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Toronto and DC
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jan 2013, 12:44 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 10:42 PM
  4. Toronto
    Cities and Places