Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Climate effects on site selection

Registered
    Aug 2011

Climate effects on site selection

Hello everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student studying city&regional planning for two years. I take a course called "climate effects on site selection". For this course, I will choose a climate type and a city that shows how climate effects the city design. But this mean the real datas, concrete cases, finished projects etc.. not the observations. My case study will be a cold climate city. However, I couldn't find any worthwhile source so far...The example must include the solutions of cold climate effects, energy conservation etc.. I'm open any little help from you.

P.S. By the way, if anybody else think that I'd better study on the other climate types (hot-humid etc..) with better examples, it can change.

Best regards...

Oya.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't build a solar plant in N Alaska.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Have you looked at some of the underground development like in Montreal? There's also Minneapolis and it's Skyways which are enclosed pedestrian bridges that connect the buildings in the downtown.

This may not help but I remember there's a book that dealt with underground development called Geo Space Urban Design.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by O.Akovali View post
    Hello everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student studying city&regional planning for two years. I take a course called "climate effects on site selection". For this course, I will choose a climate type and a city that shows how climate effects the city design. But this mean the real datas, concrete cases, finished projects etc.. not the observations. My case study will be a cold climate city. However, I couldn't find any worthwhile source so far...The example must include the solutions of cold climate effects, energy conservation etc.. I'm open any little help from you.

P.S. By the way, if anybody else think that I'd better study on the other climate types (hot-humid etc..) with better examples, it can change.

Best regards...

Oya.
    Hello, sounds very interesting for an undergraduate.

You haven't specified which data you are looking for.

Leaving specifics aside for a moment, the first place I would start is the cities with 'tilted grid' street systems: Cheyenne, WY, USA; Edmonton, AB, CDN for instance. Their historic street grids were tilted 23 degrees to the northeast for winter snow melting.

Next I would look at residential site design that makes the long axis of the house oriented east-west for maximum solar gain (and thick walls for insulation, with overhanging roofs for blocking summer sun) - plenty of examples in SWE, NOR, CDN. Your tree selection and placement is important: evergreen to the north and deciduous to the south, many references for this; best deciduous placement is straight east or west (see Sacramento Tree Foundation website) to achieve solar gain in winter and to avoid blocking photovoltaic panels.

White roofs are important in warm climates to ameliorate the Urban Heat Island (as I'm sure you see where you live) but this is tricky in cold, sunny climates as you want a dark roof to melt snow so it doesn't accumulate (meaning you need extra roof insulation to compensate for loss of insulation from snow). See the International Building Code for examples of minimum standards for insulation.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you are looking for, but these references contain much of what I think you may need, in order of my preference:

o Sustainable residential development: planning and design for green neighborhoods
    o Cities as sustainable ecosystems: principles and practices
    o Green infrastructure: linking landscapes and communities
    o Sustainable urbanism: urban design with nature

Good luck on your project.

Registered
    Aug 2011

Thank you very much ColoGl,

I got that topics but, your recommendations are so general. I wanna study a city from Sweden. And I wanna emphasize the heating of the city, the use of the energy, the special designs that are climate responsive, etc...I mean they will not be like a photo comment. Right?

Registered
    Jul 2009

Thank you very much ColoGl,

I got that topics but, your recommendations are so general.
    That is because the request was so general. The book list, however, contains books that have the information you requested below. Some of my 'orientation' suggestions upthread also fit the information you seek.

I wanna study a city from Sweden. And I wanna emphasize the heating of the city, the use of the energy, the special designs that are climate responsive, etc...I mean they will not be like a photo comment. Right?
    If I understand what you seek correctly, I suggest you contact the Stockholm Resilience Center at Stockholm University. In addition to obtaining some of the books on the list I provided.. Stockholm is one of the centers of human ecological research and Stockholm Resilience Center has several doc and postdoc researchers working on your type of project right now.

Good luck.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 May 2013, 5:21 AM
  2. Site selection report templates?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Feb 2012, 9:51 AM
  3. Is zoning important in site selection?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 31 Mar 2011, 10:41 AM
  4. Macy's site selection
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 14 Oct 2009, 1:22 PM
  5. Site selection - inventory
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 5:54 PM