Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Electrical regulator bank

Registered
    Mar 2002

Electrical regulator bank

The local power company approached me today with a plan for a regulator bank in the heart of one of our commercial nodes. A regulator bank, for those who don't know, is seriously ugly and often looks like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...E8fniAKW3KC5CA.

Does anyone know of a more pleasing design for them? I want to talk the power company into doing something nicer.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Well, screen walls are obviously useful where you need to hide something that is uglier than the screen walls I'm sure you've thought of that, though...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Perhaps it is not so much a question of how to screen it as it is a question of where to place it. I have often seen these and other utilities placed in alleys or other places not easily seen. If it must be neer the street, can it be set back and screened by a wall, in front of which you might be able to place some landscaping, information kiosks, seating, etc.?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Put it into an underground vault? (Yes, this is a more expensive option.)

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by tarf12345678 View post
    Well, screen walls are obviously useful where you need to hide something that is uglier than the screen walls I'm sure you've thought of that, though...
    We have not had luck screening them either, since they are public utilities, they can do a lot more than most locations and they use the safety issue a lot. With all the theft of copper wire, it seems that large walls and trees make such things easier....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Put it into an underground vault? (Yes, this is a more expensive option.)

Mike
    Unlikely, as I've been told here by our local power companies "We're pole climbers, not ditch diggers." That explains also why we'll never have underground utilities!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Transplanner View post
    Unlikely, as I've been told here by our local power companies "We're pole climbers, not ditch diggers." That explains also why we'll never have underground utilities!
    Which is a really poor excuse. They need to learn to be ditch diggers. Look at the studies of outages in areas with poles and with conduit. Utility companies just don't want to carry the cost of digging and putting in conduit. They know it would serve their customers better, and in the long run cost them less in repairs, but they also have a STRONG lobby in most states.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Which is a really poor excuse. They need to learn to be ditch diggers. Look at the studies of outages in areas with poles and with conduit. Utility companies just don't want to carry the cost of digging and putting in conduit. They know it would serve their customers better, and in the long run cost them less in repairs, but they also have a STRONG lobby in most states.
    They don't necessarily need to have a STRONG lobby to avoid digging. We all know who will end up paying for utilities' conversion from poles to conduit, and that will put 99% of the customers on the utilities' sides. You may be willing to pay more for your electricity so that the electric utility company can convert overhead wires to conduit, but I bet most of your neighbors wouldn't be.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    They don't necessarily need to have a STRONG lobby to avoid digging. We all know who will end up paying for utilities' conversion from poles to conduit, and that will put 99% of the customers on the utilities' sides. You may be willing to pay more for your electricity so that the electric utility company can convert overhead wires to conduit, but I bet most of your neighbors wouldn't be.
    If we did a good enough job explaining the long term benefits as well as the fewer outages, we might get more... but I agree - very few ever want to pay now for benefits later.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How do you Bank?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 11:35 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Mar 2009, 10:47 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Dec 2008, 3:07 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Jul 2003, 7:46 AM