Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Judge a book by the cover: the worst planning book covers

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Judge a book by the cover: the worst planning book covers

Urban planning has its roots in the design-oriented professions of architecture and landscape architecture, but you wouldn't know this based on the covers of many planing-related books. Most publishers of planning-related books just take the easy way out, and design a cover that's either devoid of anything but text and some basic color patterns, or slap a photo of some scene in Portland on the cover. Others, though, seem go out of their way to be bad. For example, Urban Transportation Planning - Second Edition ...

My God! An awful brutalist skyscraper is shooting out jetliners! And a big rig is jack-knifing on a skyway! And the cab at the bottom is so wide, it's taking up two entire lanes! And a Soviet-era passenger train is emerging from a transdimensional wormhole and COMING RIGHT AT ME!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004

How about we start with 'the bible'

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

A maze. Is that really what the APA thinks is a fitting analogy for the planning profession? Sure, we planner might think that, but the APA itself? Notice, too, how the APA logo is at the dead end of one of the maze pathways? Hmmmmmm ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

How about we start with 'the bible'
    That was my first thought too. I gifted it to RT since she is taking some sort of urban studies course next semester. Have they updated it since 2000? It's funny when you read through the section on the Internet.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    That was my first thought too. I gifted it to RT since she is taking some sort of urban studies course next semester. Have they updated it since 2000? It's funny when you read through the section on the Internet.
    No, it's not been updated. We recently purchased it for the planning library we are starting for the office.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I believe the Green Bible has recently been updated by ICMA, it is now called an even more esoteric title; Local Planning, Contemporary Principles and Practice.

Slightly OT: Why is the Planning Bible written by ICMA instead of APA? These are the questions that keep blueshirts up at night...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Nov 2006, 8:45 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Nov 2006, 11:19 AM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 30 Oct 2006, 4:54 PM
  4. Judge a Book By the Cover #4
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 27 Oct 2006, 5:08 PM