Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Top Ten - Planning References in Television

Registered
    Jan 2005

Top Ten - Planning References in Television

Submissions are due by: Tuesday, October 18 at 11:59 PM EST

List so Far:
    1. Parks & Recreation - Mark Brendanawicz (2008-2010)
    2. Numbers - Alan Eppes (2005-2010)
    3. Seinfeld - Episode - The Van Buren Boys (1997)
    4. The Simpsons - Episode - You Only Move Twice (1996)
    5. King of the Hill - Episode - Life: A Loser's Manual (2008)
    6. King of the Hill - Episode - Flush With Power (2000)
    7. The Planners are Coming - British Series about Planning
    8. The PJ's - TV claymation classic
    9. Perry Mason - Planning & Zoning Board References
    10. The Education of Max Bickford - Episode - Past Present Future (2002)
    11. The Simpsons - Episode - Marge vs. the Monorail (1993)
    12. The Wonder Years - Episode - Whose Woods Are these? (1989)
    13. The Drew Carey Show - Episode - What the Zoning Inspector Saw (1996)
    14. Family Guy - Episode - E. Peterbus Unum (2000)
    15. Bugs Bunny - Episode - No Parking Hare (1954)
    16. Bugs Bunny - Episode - Homeless Hare (1950)
    Last edited by Hink; 18 Oct 2011 at 6:08 PM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    NUMBERS

Alan Eppes is a former L.A. City planner, .... lives in a historic bungalow furnished with period Arts and Crafts furniture. He is portrayed by Judd Hirsch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numb3rs
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Hink, I didn't lay this out right and am unprepared! I'll re-do later.
    Last edited by ursus; 14 Oct 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: ursus is dumb this morning.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Seinfeld

The video clip below. Enough said.

GEORGE: Besides, Steven Koren has the highest of aspirations. He wants to be (pauses for effect) an architect.

WYCK: Is that right?

STEVEN: Actually, maybe I could set my sights a little bit higher.

GEORGE: (Laughs) Steven, nothing is higher than an architect.

STEVEN: I think I'd really like to be a city planner. (Sits down, addressing the entire foundation board) Why limit myself to just one building, when I can design a

whole city?

WYCK: Well, that's a good point.

GEORGE: (Mutters) No, it's not.

STEVEN: Well, isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler? (Laughs - so do the board members)

GEORGE: (Irritated) It's called a T-square.

WYCK: You know, the stupidest guy in my fraternity became an architect - after he flunked out of dental school! (Everyone but George laughs) Contratulations,

young man. (Shakes Steven's hand)

STEVEN: Thank you.
    Last edited by Hink; 14 Oct 2011 at 11:23 AM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Let's add dates for reference as well... I have updated the first three to have dates...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    BBC's late, little-known series The Planners are Coming. In the series, we learn that in the UK, the equivalent of Planning Commission approval is required for everything, and that Old Blighty has the same issues with clueless property owners struggling to get after-the-fact approval for projects, often with disastrous results. The series is really more about the equivalent of zoning enforcement than comprehensive planning.

Lots of planning references in King of the Hill.

From Life: A Loser's Manual

Dale: Gentlemen, I'm sure you recall my long dreamt dream about building a guard tower in my yard.

Hank: Dale, the zoning board has turned you down six times and the last refusal was with extreme prejudice.

Dale: True, but for a structure under 40 feet no variance is needed. Soon you'll live under the protection of my 39 foot guard tower! The zoning board has no say.

Hank: Dale, that is --[Dale cuts him off mid-sentence]...

Dale: NO SAY!
    In another episode, Flush With Power, Hank Hill joins the Arlen Zoning Board. There's actually a Smart Growth reference!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2009
    The Simpsons - You Only Move Twice

Homer gets a job offer from the mysterious Globex Corporation and convinces the family to move to Cypress Creek, the company's full-service planned community. During the episode, Homer shows a promotional video for the town, showing a conversion from an urban slum to a whitewashed utopia. It includes this hilarious bit of dialogue:

[Announcer] Cypress Creek, A Tale of One City.
    [Woman] Look at this place. - (police siren heard in the distance) - Somebody ought to build a town that works.
    [Announcer] Somebody did. It's called Cypress Creek, a planned community designed for the workers of the Globex Corporation. Cypress Creek, where dreams come true.
    [Announcer #2] Your dreams may vary from those of Globex Corporation, its subsidiaries and shareholders.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    BBC's late, little-known series The Planners are Coming. In the series, we learn that in the UK, the equivalent of Planning Commission approval is required for [pi]everything[/i], and that Old Blighty has the same issues with clueless property owners struggling to get after-the-fact approval for projects, often with disastrous responses. The series is really more about the equivalent of zoning enforcement than comprehensive planning.

Lots of planning references in King of the Hill.

From Life: A Loser's Manual

In another episode, Flush With Power, Hank Hill joins the Arlen Zoning Board. There's actually a Smart Growth reference!
    Can we pick one from King of the Hill? Is there a best episode? Or we can list all the "best" episode separately....

Registered
    Feb 2011
    In the TV claymation classic "The PJ's", the less than tactful (and even less intelligent) superintendant of one of the buildings in the projects was always going to HUD to get supplies for his building....the wording under the HUD sign often changed in different episodes e.g. "HUD...keeping you in the projects since 1965". Eddie Murphy (the voice of the main character) caught a lot of flack over little jabs like that.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I could swear there is a scene in Family Ties where Alex is contemplating college majors, and while looking at a course catalogue ~

Alex: "how about Urban Planning?

Audience: Big laugh

end of joke . . .

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Submissions are due by Tuesday, October 18 at 11:59 PM EST. Currently we only have 8.... come on people, I know we can do better than that!

Registered
    Dec 2008

Perry Mason Episodes

I can't find the exact references, but any number of Perry Mason episodes center around somebody rigging the "Planning and Zoning Board" and in one, a board member is murdered I believe. Not implausible, considering the development that would have been going on in SoCal in the late 40's and 50's and what land was worth.

"...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Richard Dreyfuss starred as a college professor in a show that ran for only a single season called The Education of Max Bickford. I recall one of the episodes Max was given a spot on the city's planning commission and had to make a controversial decision about whether to allow an obnoxious mall to open in his picturesque but economically strapped small town.

Here's part of episode 17 'past present future'
    Last edited by Maister; 17 Oct 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added link

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I can't find the exact references, but any number of Perry Mason episodes center around somebody rigging the "Planning and Zoning Board" and in one, a board member is murdered I believe. Not implausible, considering the development that would have been going on in SoCal in the late 40's and 50's and what land was worth.

I have been buying and watching olde episodes of Perry Mason. I will keep my baby blues open for planning references.

NOTE: While typing this post my mind flashed to the Bugs Bunny opera, changing the words to "Somebody killed the planner".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    These aren't nessarily explicit planning references, but they are certainly very planning-related and reflect situations planners face.

The Simpsons "Marge vs. the Monorail" episode (1993) - transportation planning; the whole part about slick developers/businessmen taking advantage of communities; initial public skepticism; public meetings and mob mentality ("but Main Street's all cracked and broken; sorry, mom, the mob has spoken"), capital projects, etc. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marge_vs._the_Monorail

The Wonder Years: "Whose Woods are These?" episode (1989) - Kevin and his friends try to save their childhood hangout from being bulldozed for a shopping mall. Key themes include environmental preservation vs. economic development, kids' lack of voice in planning decisions, sentimental attachment to places by members of the public, etc.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    These aren't nessarily explicit planning references, but they are certainly very planning-related and reflect situations planners face.

The Simpsons "Marge vs. the Monorail" episode (1993) - transportation planning; the whole part about slick developers/businessmen taking advantage of communities; initial public skepticism; public meetings and mob mentality ("but Main Street's all cracked and broken; sorry, mom, the mob has spoken"), capital projects, etc. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marge_vs._the_Monorail

The Wonder Years: "Whose Woods are These?" episode (1989) - Kevin and his friends try to save their childhood hangout from being bulldozed for a shopping mall. Key themes include environmental preservation vs. economic development, kids' lack of voice in planning decisions, sentimental attachment to places by members of the public, etc.
    Great call with the monorail episode...although you lose man points for "The Wonder Years" reference.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Drew Carey Show - What the Zoning Inspector Saw
    The council has no interest in listening to Drew, but Bonnie shows up with his neighbors who run businesses from their homes. Drew warns that they will show up for every meeting until they get their way. The council decides to conduct a two-year study on re-zoning and leave the residents and their businesses alone.

Family Guy - E. Peterbus Unum
    The town zoning laws won't allow Peter to build a pool in his yard. When he tries to get a permit, he discovers that his property is actually not part of Quahog, and therefore not part of the United States.
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Family Guy - E. Peterbus Unum
    I love this one...good call!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    More so movies here, but they are shown on TV every now and then - the Bugs Bunny shorts with the freeway construction (his hole being in the way) and the new tall building (again, with his hole in the way). In both cases, the project was built around him, including a notch going all the way up in the building.

Also, there was a TV ad from sometime in the late 1980s or the early 1990s featuring an old, long-established big-city storefront pub and restaurant that was in the way of a new tall building, where its owner was shown saying "I told them to 'go ahead and build your building, just build it around us'". At the end of the ad, the camera panned back from the restaurant's facade to show the new steel and glass that was indeed built around them. I forget what product the ad was for (a beer?), but I loved that ad.

Mike

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    More so movies here, but they are shown on TV every now and then - the Bugs Bunny shorts with the freeway construction (his hole being in the way) and the new tall building (again, with his hole in the way). In both cases, the project was built around him, including a notch going all the way up in the building.
    The Freeway episode is No Parking Hare
    on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjOO3SnzQF8

The highrise episode is Homeless Hare
    Oddball

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So I am going to clean this thread up a bit, and then start a new one with a poll... but as I was doing a bit of research related to the BBC show The Planners Are Coming... I found this...

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...4014420AAUg7K0

Also, what type of poll do we want? Should people be able to vote for lots of options or just their favorite?

--------------------------

I am also moving the info from the first post to here about the layout...

=================================================

The layout is:

Parks & Recreation

In one of the first characters in T.V. that is actually a dedicated Urban Planner , Mark Brendanawicz gives Urban Planners a good name. He is the smartest person in the office, and is usually the go-to guy for information. Unfortunately, at the end of season two he took a "buy-out" and he went to the private sector leaving the show and planner's in need of guidance.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Nov 2011, 3:43 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Oct 2011, 2:44 PM
  3. References to Planning on TV
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Apr 2010, 11:26 PM
  4. Space planning references/resources
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)