Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Doomsday for real

Registered
    Jul 2002

Doomsday for real

I don't know if this has been a thread topic before, but here goes. There has been a lot of chatter about various doomsday cults, but things do happen. http://news.yahoo.com/did-massive-co...112600864.html
    I have been wondering how the American "empire" will finally come to an end, and it will. W amount to just a blip on the historic record and it's nonsense to think the USA is immortal. Well, then I got to thinking about what will be the end of the reign of Homo Sapiens on this planet. I was raised with the constant fear of "The Bomb" and On the Beach, Alas Babylon etc. and I suppose that we could still go that way. But lately I've been leaning towards the climate change - food production disruption and mass migration wars idea that could do us in. A dismal topic maybe, but I think worth the discussion. What say you "throbbing brain?"
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I read "The Andromeda Strain" when I was a teenager. I think it's plausible to imagine that we could be reduced to near extinction by a virus that could spread quickly, mutate quickly, and was resistnat to our traditionally understood methods of treatment and prevention.

I find that idea, every time I work it through mentally, to be frightening.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I read "The Andromeda Strain" when I was a teenager. I think it's plausible to imagine that we could be reduced to near extinction by a virus that could spread quickly, mutate quickly, and was resistnat to our traditionally understood methods of treatment and prevention.

I find that idea, every time I work it through mentally, to be frightening.
    I agree. That's why I make sure to wear a gas mask everytime I go out in public. It also has the beneficial effect of keeping co-workers and customers from bothering me too much.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I agree. That's why I make sure to wear a gas mask everytime I go out in public. It also has the beneficial effect of keeping co-workers and customers from bothering me too much.
    I know what you mean! I do the same thing, but in spite of the gas mask, my hair seems to scream "TOUCH ME!" to everyone....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    I know what you mean! I do the same thing, but in spite of the gas mask, my hair seems to scream "TOUCH ME!" to everyone....
    You need to be careful with that. The last time I walked around telling people to touch me I got a visit from the police.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I've heard it said that we dodged a bullet with AIDS. Then there is always bird flu.
    WALSTIB

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I read The Hot Zone in the 90's-about ebola. I think a mixture of a deadly virus, pollution and climate change will do us in.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    "If it will, it will, and if it won't, it won't" is my motto. I don't worry too much about great cosmic events since we all know that when the sun supernovas, we're all toast anyways.

Meanwhile, I worry about more practical things like whether the Bills will stay in Buffalo when Ralph Wilson dies, since he's the last of his breed: surviving owners of originial AFL teams.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I love this type philosophical diatribe. There appears to be three likely sources for an extinction or near-extinction event. Macrocosmos events, microcosmos events, and human stupidity events.

Macrocosmos events would be things like the billion ton comet impacting our planet or a solar flair event of great magnitude frying our atmosphere. As the article that Tom R linked pointed out, we have the Tunguska Event as recent evidence that this scenario is plausible.

Microcosmos events would be outbreaks of rapidly-spreading or currently incurable viruses or bacterial strains. We have the bubonic plague epidemic of 14th century Europe, and numerous media-hyped flu scares of recent times to remind us that we are not masters of the microcosmos and this scenario is likely.

Human stupidity events would be caused from things like fresh water shortages, loss of agriculturally productive land due to man-made causes, dumb people taking over the decision making powers of our various governments and enacting dumb ideas, etc. We have millions of examples to prove this scenario is highly likely. I cannot possibly list them all. You know who the stupid people are.

Edit: That thing was full of typos. Note to self: Do not under any circumstances try to type something semi-intelligent or humorous in the morning without first having coffee or you run the risk of contributing to the human stupidity event scenario.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005

12 Ways We'll Die

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wil...w-it-could-end

Certain Cyburbians will especially like the last one.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wil...w-it-could-end

Certain Cyburbians will especially like the last one.
    Zombie apocolypse!!!!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I personally am a fan of robots taking over.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I personally am a fan of robots taking over.
    As long as they plug me into a kick-ass virtual reality!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    As long as they plug me into a kick-ass virtual reality!!
    Have you not seen the matrix? I'll take my chances with the living dead

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 01 Nov 2011, 9:38 PM
  2. May 21, 2011, Doomsday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 24 May 2011, 7:53 AM
  3. The REAL Real Thing: Passover Coke!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Apr 2006, 9:45 AM