Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I drop out of planning school?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    [StickingMyNeckOut]

Thread title:
    Should I drop out of planning school?
    I knew that my answer would be YES even before I opened the thread for the first time.

Reason:
    Any student who takes the trouble, (in the middle of what's sure to be a grueling semester), to join Cyburbia and start a topic with the above title should not be in planning school right now.

In the planning field, you must have no doubt when you first start out.

Was I giving your question a fair shake? I gleaned over your post; your many bullets and future $70K debt sealed the deal.

How I wish I'd visited Cyburbia and seen this thread sooner.

[/StickingMyNeckOut]
    Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 22 Dec 2011 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Added thread subscription.

Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    [StickingMyNeckOut]

Thread title:I knew that my answer would be YES even before I opened the thread for the first time.

Reason:
    Any student who takes the trouble, (in the middle of what's sure to be a grueling semester), to join Cyburbia and start a topic with the above title should not be in planning school right now.

In the planning field, you must have no doubt when you first start out.

Was I giving your question a fair shake? I gleaned over your post; your many bullets and future $70K debt sealed the deal.

How I wish I'd visited Cyburbia and seen this thread sooner.

[/StickingMyNeckOut]

Not sure this makes much sense. Why, exactly, is the planning field so special that you "must have no doubt when you first start out"? In fact, it's fairly routine for anyone, in any field, to have second thoughts about such a major commitment as a master's degree, and for you to suggest that you knew the answer to the OP's question before considering his specific concerns smacks me as somewhat condescending.

My advice would be to stick it out. First semester can be extremely rough -- it was for me -- and with significant costs already sunk, it's worth completing a second term. If things haven't improved by the end of the year, at least then you can transfer to a state school or change programs knowing that you didn't quit just because of cold feet. You're an intelligent individual who probably weighed the cost and benefits of the program before accepting the offer; it may be useful to review those reasons and whether it's sensible to write off planning school after barely two months in attendance.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mr_garrison; 23 Dec 2011 at 7:18 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mr_garrison View post
    Why, exactly, is the planning field so special that you "must have no doubt when you first start out"?
    I wouldn't have written my post ten years ago. I probably would have written close to the opposite.
    What "special" things have happened regarding the planning profession in the past decade? Most Cyburbians know...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Dec 2011, 6:08 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jan 2007, 2:50 PM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last post: 01 Apr 2006, 12:10 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last post: 05 Oct 2005, 3:14 PM
  5. Your chance to name drop