Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Going green in a fancy way

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011

Going green in a fancy way

Hey all,

The municipality that I'm interning with has me on some pretty cool projects.

One of these projects involves the municipality constructing a home that they want to go crazy on the "green" stuff with. They want it to be very sexy and stand-out, so that future municipal funded construction at least takes cues from this house.

I'm usually pretty good with making thing energy efficient and green. That's why they have me figuring out what they should do to the building. My problem is, that I know effective, but subtle green and sustainable touches. The problem with that is that they want people who walk by to see the house and say, "Wow, that is a sustainable house!", or something to that effect. And as far as exterior stuff, I'm basically stuck at Solar Panels. I offered a metal roof for longevity and it being seamless, but no one would ever notice. I also offered up use log posts for the deck colums/posts. A rain garden, but people might think it's just weeds, and I thought of using a ribbon driveway in order to maximize green space, people might just think that looks awkward. Again not much that is "ecologically sexy".

As far considerations that you can offer, the home will be in highly developed urban area so space is most certainly a consideration for things to incorporate.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    First, take a look at LEED for some easy standards.

Also, look at universities. Several of them have undertaken such projects. I know Humboldt State University had one, and you can take a look at it on their web site - which should give you some pretty good ideas as to what to do (at least, there was a web site back when I went there in the late 90s). Humboldt is a relatively small school - I'm sure there are larger universities that have undertaken similar projects (probably just about any university with an environmental engineering program). I should think you'll find some really good ideas there...

Edit: See this page. It has several links that would be useful to you. http://www.ccathsu.com/about
    Last edited by Tarf; 23 Oct 2011 at 4:51 PM.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    You have a tough row to hoe. Energy efficient housing is proven when the utility bills come in. They often look like traditional housing. The LEED Platimum apartments in Greensburg look like any other multi family development. You can go radical with monolithic domes, straw bales and the like, but will it be accepted? Check out the work being done by Greensburg Greentown: http://www.greensburggreentown.org

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    You have a tough row to hoe. Energy efficient housing is proven when the utility bills come in. They often look like traditional housing. The LEED Platimum apartments in Greensburg look like any other multi family development. You can go radical with monolithic domes, straw bales and the like, but will it be accepted? Check out the work being done by Greensburg Greentown: http://www.greensburggreentown.org
    I know all about those styles, still thank you both. The problem here is it has to look like a regular house. Just with panels on the roof and other blatant green things. The only other thing I could think of was a mini-wind turbine, but of course at a low height in an urban city it would go nowhere.

I've mentioned to them Bamboo fencing, but I don't think they'd like that. It think they'll feel it's tacky or something. Guess I'll find out Wednesday or Friday.

EDIT: I Just remembered. I mentioned a green roof if they do a shed or garage. I should perhaps include an outlet for an electric car.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 12:10 PM
  2. Going Green
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 3:03 PM
  3. Red Green
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Nov 2007, 12:08 AM