Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2012 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Here we are in the off-season once again and players, managers, coaches and GMs are a moving...

The sacrificial lamb manager for the Cubbies has been fired today with 1-year left on his contract. Rhyne might get his chance now.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Braves have already dropped McLouth (buyout of his final year) and Lowe (paid Cleveland $10 mil to take him).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Here we are in the off-season once again and players, managers, coaches and GMs are a moving...

The sacrificial lamb manager for the Cubbies has been fired today with 1-year left on his contract. Rhyne might get his chance now.
    Epstein said major league managing experience is a prerequisite, so Ryne Sandberg is out of the running for the Small Bears. St Louis is supposed to have asked the Phillies for permission to interview him.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Braves have already dropped McLouth (buyout of his final year) and Lowe (paid Cleveland $10 mil to take him).
    If that is not addition by subtraction I don't know what is.

I am curious to see who is the opening day shortstop.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If that is not addition by subtraction I don't know what is.

I am curious to see who is the opening day shortstop.
    Word is the are going to let Gonzalez & Jack Wilson go to free agency. AG is not a surprise to go, that was kinda in the cards when they traded him for Escobar.

They have already bought Todd Redmon's AAA contract. Kawakami? Are you staying?

Former Dodger owner is looking at puttng together a group to buy the team again.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Word is the are going to let Gonzalez & Jack Wilson go to free agency.
    They might try and re-sign Gonzo for cheap to occupy SS until Tyler Pastornicky is ready to go, possibly in the second half of the season. There's also been some talk of improving the defense by moving Prado to 2nd and switching Uggla out to LF.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004

Quade was a good, personable guy, but a so-so manager. He had a lousy team to manage and with a few key injuries, and you see what happened. I'm glad he got his chance. But as mentioned, he was the sacrificial lamb that the ownership knew as going to be a bad team. I wish him well and hope he enjoys the $1 million to sit at home next season. The question is who is Epstein going to get to replace him? The early talk was Franconia, but it sounds like he's got personal issues. Personally, I think they get the coach from the Rays.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Hot Stove Talk

It will be interesting to see what the Detroit Tigers do during the off-season. They have the nucleus of a really-good squad. Need a better-hitting 3rd baseman, a lefty starter, and a good bat in left field. Delmon Young was a nice mid-season pick-up but not sure if the Tigers are going to keep him. If Ryan Rayburn could hit in the first half of every season like he does in the second half, he would be an All-Star.

The AL Central will be one tough division in 2012. Cleveland will be good, Kansas City has the beginnings of a really good team, Minnesota, if no injury list as long as 2011 will be good. The Sox? Not sure.....the market, trades, purchases will make or break Chicago's South Side boys.

My SWAG is that the Tigers will be the favorites to win the division.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

I have this sick feeling that Albert Pujols is about to accept an offer from the Miami Marlins. I'm going to puke if it happens ...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I have this sick feeling that Albert Pujols is about to accept an offer from the Miami Marlins. I'm going to puke if it happens ...
    How can the Marlins afford to pay Pujols that kind of money when nobody goes to their games?

The Red Sox are in turmoil, but you knew that already.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    You didn't really think he was going to stay, did you? If he was going to stay, he would have signed an extension. By the same token, Fielder is probably gone from the Brews.

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    How can the Marlins afford to pay Pujols that kind of money when nobody goes to their games?

The Red Sox are in turmoil, but you knew that already.
    Apparently, their new stadium deal was rather sweet. Of course, the SEC is starting to investigate the dealings there, so ...

Red Sox + turmoil = status quo, no?

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    You didn't really think he was going to stay, did you? If he was going to stay, he would have signed an extension. By the same token, Fielder is probably gone from the Brews.
    I did think there wouldn't be much of a market and that St. Louis would have the advantage as long as they could get *near* the competition. But with MM talking 10 years, well ...

If both AP and Fielder end up elsewhere as expected, the NL Central will have a much different look next year for sure.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Apparently, their new stadium deal was rather sweet. Of course, the SEC is starting to investigate the dealings there, so ...

Red Sox + turmoil = status quo, no?

I did think there wouldn't be much of a market and that St. Louis would have the advantage as long as they could get *near* the competition. But with MM talking 10 years, well ...

If both AP and Fielder end up elsewhere as expected, the NL Central will have a much different look next year for sure.
    Even with AP gone, I think the 'birds will have the upper hand. With the Brews losing both Braun and Fielder, they are going to slide back. The Cubs are in rebuilding mold and still several years away from contending. The Reds and Pirates might be interesting.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Even with AP gone, I think the 'birds will have the upper hand. With the Brews losing both Braun and Fielder, they are going to slide back. The Cubs are in rebuilding mold and still several years away from contending. The Reds and Pirates might be interesting.
    ??

Where did you hear that? The Brewers just resigned him to a very long-term contract this past season - he'll retire a Brewer.

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    ??

Where did you hear that? The Brewers just resigned him to a very long-term contract this past season - he'll retire a Brewer.

Mike
    The Brewers need to fix their defense if they're going to do anything next year. As for the Cards, how are they going to replace all those RBIs if they lose Pujols?

The world wide leader says that Pujols and the Angels have agreed to a 10-year, $250 million contract.

So much for being the next 'Stan the Man'.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The world wide leader says that Pujols and the Angels have agreed to a 10-year, $250 million contract.

So much for being the next 'Stan the Man'.
    Sorry Cards fans, but as a Red Sox fan I'm excited to see him in the AL.

Registered
    Mar 2005

Just a little tease

43 days til Pitchers & Catchers report!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Fausto Carmona is not Fausto Carmona.

Cleveland's pitcher was caught by Dominican authorities and arressted for using a fake name and age (He's 31 not 28). I bet he never liked the Fausto anyway.

Registered
    May 2005
    V-Mart goes down for the year.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Ground Rule Triple & Fens

I was wandering around Live (Bing) Maps today, following U.S. 1 from Newburyport down to Boston. I had traveled this route back in the 1970s, coming from a camping trip in the New England mountains. Noticed that Fenway Park had a "fen" park very close, thus the name. Did not know that. Thought Fenway was somebody's name. I went to Wiki and read about Fenway Park. Did you know that it has the only ground rule triple rule in MLB? If your ball gets stuck in the scoreboard ladder in left field it is a ground rule triple. Wonder how many times that has happened!

YazBear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Things have gotten interesting on the northside. Z is gone, which is no big deal. For all his potential, he was a cancer in the dugout. That leaves Soriano as the last big ticket, low producing part of the previous regime. Epstein seems to be filling in the spots with undervalued players that have potential. I'm glad they reupped with Woods, not sure about Lopez. If nothing else, it will be an interesting year.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I was wandering around Live (Bing) Maps today, following U.S. 1 from Newburyport down to Boston. I had traveled this route back in the 1970s, coming from a camping trip in the New England mountains. Noticed that Fenway Park had a "fen" park very close, thus the name. Did not know that. Thought Fenway was somebody's name. I went to Wiki and read about Fenway Park. Did you know that it has the only ground rule triple rule in MLB? If your ball gets stuck in the scoreboard ladder in left field it is a ground rule triple. Wonder how many times that has happened!

YazBear
    IIRC, a batted ball that gets stuck in the outfield wall ivy at Wrigley Field in Chicago is a GR double - *IF* the fielder signals to the umpires that it is lost by raising his arms. OTOH, if the fielder tries digging for the ball, it is 'in play' and the baserunners my continue to advance at their peril. I'm not sure of what the ground rule is if the ball then dribbles out the bottom, but I believe that it is still a GR double if time was called and 'in play' if not.

And then there are other interesting ground rules regarding movable roofs (ie, at Miller Park, the roof can be reopened later on if it is closed during a game, unique in MLB as all of the rest must remain closed). A universal ground rule is that a batted ball hitting a closed roof or its support structure is 'in play' and is played in the usual manner wherever it lands (I believe that it is a double if it gets stuck up there, though).

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Prince Fielder coming to Motown!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Prince Fielder coming to Motown!
    Cabrera + Fielder = Bash Brothers 2012

Too bad Martinez is out for the season. If all three of them can make it to 2013 healthy... watch out!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  4. Replies: 251
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 11:30 AM
  5. Replies: 338