Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Only semi relevant to this thread, I saw Moneyball this weekend. Great flick, but drug in places. It's too bad that sabermetrics didn't level the playing field between the haves and the have nots.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Go Get "Em, Tigers!

The stove is hot. Time for some dancin' music.

Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMqnFQRiUs

Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2006
    As a long time White Sox fan I don't know what to expect. If Dunn wakes up to his prior form, it would really help. I think the rotation is pretty solid. Sale has a chance to be a dominant pitcher. Will Dayan Viciedo finally become a star hitter? This is his chance now.

As for sabremetrics, I do think their role is somewhat overblown. I think they evaluated a lot of them same desireable traits through a different lens with scouts. Its not like walks we not valued before someone put a number to it. Further, the Eilias Bureau has published numbers for many many years. To me there just are not that many statistics that really matter. Drive in runs, or get on base and score runs. 100+ of either means you are good.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Wild Cards

MLB has increased the number of Wild Cards, starting this season. It would be interesting to look at the last 10-20 years to see which teams would have slid into the playoffs if the Wild Card number would have been increased back then.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It's nice to see baseball scores on the bottom-screen ticker - even if they're only spring training practice games.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Only semi relevant to this thread, I saw Moneyball this weekend. Great flick, but drug in places. It's too bad that sabermetrics didn't level the playing field between the haves and the have nots.
    It did until all the "haves" started to use sabermetrics as well. That is how the A's made the playoffs several years ago. Boston used sabermetrics heavily in addtion to spending boat loads of cash to get atop the AL.

On a different note, I went to spring training this weekend. Even though it was an a spring training game it is just wrong to end a baseball in a tie.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Carlos Guillen, arguably the best Tiger shortstop in a very long time, and who had been riddled with injuries lately, retired today. Word on the street is that he broke his thumb Tweeting the announcement.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bolted the office a few minutes early today to catch the last half of the Giants vs. Angels spring training game. Life is good.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Opening day! Granted the game is in Japan, but its a regular season game.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Go Tigers!

I wish I would have taken at least the afternoon off of work to watch the game.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I wish I would have taken at least the afternoon off of work to watch the game.
    I'm at least going to take a slightly later lunch than usual so I can watch some of the Braves game.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    PLAY BALL!
    Have the Braves / Mets game on the tele in the office right now.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    PLAY BALL!
    Have the Braves / Mets game on the tele in the office right now.
    ...and it looks like the Braves are picking up right where they left off after last season.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    ...and it looks like the Braves are picking up right where they left off after last season.

Uggla, first at-bat - strikes out swinging at a pitch in the dirt (mid-season form already). I think I mentioned about halfway through the exhibitions that we were in for a long season...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It must suck to be a Brave's fan. My condolences.

Oh Bubba, just noticed your location; that's good stuff.
    What would RJ do?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sox ran into the Verlander buzzsaw yesterday. Lester was good for his part though. Sox bullpen blew it, I don't know about these guys..

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Reds...

That is all. Later Marlins...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Reds...

That is all. Later Marlins...
    The Marlins new stadium is an epic waste of half a billion dollars, if I've ever seen one. How long before that place is half-empty- June 1st or so?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Rays 3-0 sweeping the yankmees. YEA!

Braves 0-3 swept by the Mets. BOO!

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Got our first win-and saw my first game of the year on WGN. Looks like a small ball team with no bullpen. Samardzija, a NW IN product, is unhittable when he's got his pitches working. Gonna be interesting year at the Friendly Confines.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    How about them Tigers?

On a related note, I was out for a walk at about 6:30 a.m. and saw David Ortiz jogging through town (the visiting teams stay at a hotel nearby). Even after slimming down in the off season and apparently losing 30 pounds, that is one big dude!

Hink -- 16,909 for the opening night of a three game series against the defending World Champ and hated division rival Cardinals? Do the Reds realize they gotta put fannies in the seats if they wanna pay that new Votto contract?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Hink -- 16,909 for the opening night of a three game series against the defending World Champ and hated division rival Cardinals? Do the Reds realize they gotta put fannies in the seats if they wanna pay that new Votto contract?
    At least they're not Houston.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    That didn't take long. Sounds like Ozzie is running his mouth again. Between him and Z, the Marlins will be entertaining in a trainwreck sort of way.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Nice start Tigers...

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 11:02 AM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 11:28 AM
  4. Replies: 251
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 11:30 AM
  5. Replies: 338