Thread: 2012 Major League Baseball Trash Talk Thread

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

NLEast - Washington Nationals
    NLCentral - Cinncinnati Reds
    NLWest - San Fransisco Giants
    NLWildCards - Braves & Dodgers
    You really think the dodgers will make the playoffs?

Seriously... the brewcrew & braves with the braves making the smack down on the brewers.

My Playoff Predicitions:

NLE-Nats
    NLC-Cincy
    NLW-Gmen

NL Wildcard Play In Atlanta v. Brewers

NLDS- Cincy v Gmen
    NLDS - Nats v Braves

NLCS Braves v Gmen

----------------------------------------------
    ALW - Texas
    ALC - Detroit
    ALE - NYY

AL Wildcard Play In Oakland v. O's

ALDS - Texas v Oakland
    ALDS - Detroit v NYY

ALCS Detroit v Oakland

I'll let it go there just to not leave a jinx
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm hoping Texas and New York end up in the one-game wild care play-in.

By the way, I hate the wild care play-in.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm hoping Texas and New York end up in the one-game wild care play-in.

By the way, I hate the wild care play-in.
    I hate the wild card. I liked the 2 larger division format where the winner f each division went on to play for the right to represent their league in the World Series. 162 games is more than enough to determine who the top 2 teams are in each division.

If there is going to be a wild card then I like the 1 game play in...it puts the wild card team at a greater disadvantage especially in baseball where homefield is not as significant as it is in other sports.

I also hate Bud Selig...baseball is successful in spite of and not becuase of him. Moving the Astros to the AL was a terrible idea, only eclipsed by his two All Star game mistakes. If you want to balance the # of teams in the AL and NL then move the Brewers back or move the Nationals over.

It is also sad that I can see more college football during the week than baseball. There are 15 games a day being played and the most that are ever on TV are 3 a day.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The Red Sox hate the Orioles so much that they're sending Dice-K to the mound today against the Yankees.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    The Red Sox hate the Orioles so much that they're sending Dice-K to the mound today against the Yankees.
    Which is wierd because they hate the yankmees too.

Anyway...

Nice little article about today's baseball games - GAME 162 - and all that it means to the postseason. Only the Braves and the Cardinals know when and where they start play for the postseason. The rest of the teams won't know until late tonight and this article explains the scenarios:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/f...planned-100212
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I hate the wild card. I liked the 2 larger division format where the winner f each division went on to play for the right to represent their league in the World Series. 162 games is more than enough to determine who the top 2 teams are in each division.

If there is going to be a wild card then I like the 1 game play in...it puts the wild card team at a greater disadvantage especially in baseball where homefield is not as significant as it is in other sports.

I also hate Bud Selig...baseball is successful in spite of and not becuase of him. Moving the Astros to the AL was a terrible idea, only eclipsed by his two All Star game mistakes. If you want to balance the # of teams in the AL and NL then move the Brewers back or move the Nationals over.

It is also sad that I can see more college football during the week than baseball. There are 15 games a day being played and the most that are ever on TV are 3 a day.
    You're preaching to the choir...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    How about that Miguel Cabrera guy? I guess he's pretty good...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Even if they can't bring a World Series title, I hope fans realize what they are witnessing as they watch Miggy and JV play baseball.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    A great accomplishment, no doubt. It's too bad though that the first guy to win the Triple Crown in 45 years is an alcoholic, wife-beating piece of trash.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    A great accomplishment, no doubt. It's too bad though that the first guy to win the Triple Crown in 45 years is an alcoholic, wife-beating piece of trash.
    But at least he isn't a yankmee!
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Sounds like a lot of the old school baseball players. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle. He is a talented Baseball Player, but in no way a model husband or citizen.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Sounds like a lot of the old school baseball players. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle. He is a talented Baseball Player, but in no way a model husband or citizen.
    I was just thinking about Ty Cobb... Detroit likes to have some real stand up guys win the Triple Crown.

Regarding Cabrera as a person... from all reports I've seen he has cleaned up his act about 1,000% since his drunk driving arrest and I haven't seen him show up in the local police blotter at all this year so there is that. I'm not saying that his current behavior makes up for his past sins, but just that maybe he has learned his lesson and turned his behavior around.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It will be a long time before I wear my Red Sox hat again. This team has been such a disgrace for the past year and a half, just no heart whatsoever. They managed to lose 22 of their last 29 games to end the year, and 12 of their last 13. In the last series of the year against their hated rival they just mailed it in like the worthless bums they are.

Baltimore celebrated like the won the series last year when they knocked the Red Sox out of the playoffs, so I guess the Sox get a little retribution by quitting against the Yankees.. Also, the 2nd Wild Card is stupid as hell

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Looks like Bobby V is gone.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Looks like Bobby V is gone.
    Good Riddance

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    SF Giants' Buster Posey became the first catcher since 1942 to win the National League batting title with a .336 average. Is the MVP in his future?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    SF Giants' Buster Posey became the first catcher since 1942 to win the National League batting title with a .336 average. Is the MVP in his future?
    Yes. Along with a loss to the Red's in the first round....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Yes. Along with a loss to the Red's in the first round....
    Care for a little wager?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Care for a little wager?
    Sure. I still owe Planit though. What are your thoughts?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Sure. I still owe Planit though. What are your thoughts?
    Maybe something like, if the Giants win, you post an image of yourself in Giants garb. If the Reds win (unlikely), I post an image of me in Reds garb.

Here's the infield fly rule folks. The umps made the correct call. Braves errors didn't help their cause, either.

“An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder— not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The infield fly call didn't help the Braves cause, but they also left 12 men on base and had 3 errors - plus had the tying run at the plate in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings! You can't win any games like that.

Typical game for Braves it seems - LOTH
    lack of timely hitting

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Here's the infield fly rule folks. The umps made the correct call. Braves errors didn't help their cause, either.

No, they did not make the correct call, and the only thing worse than the umps completely blowing that call was MLB's predictably pathetic circling-the-wagons to protect the idiots afterwards.

Now, with that said, that did not cause the Braves loss (they did themselves in), but the league at least should have given them a fair chance...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Not enough wine in the house to suffer through that kind of a beat down from the Big Red Machine. Even my daughter fell asleep hoping for rally with the her orange panda hat on. She asked if the Giants won, I told her, there is always Tuesday. Should have pitched zeets
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Not enough wine in the house to suffer through that kind of a beat down from the Big Red Machine. Even my daughter fell asleep hoping for rally with the her orange panda hat on. She asked if the Giants won, I told her, there is always Tuesday. Should have pitched zeets
    I am just keeping to myself until we win the series. But I do hope it goes to 4 games.... I have tickets to game 4...IF, and that is a big IF, we need it....

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Maybe something like, if the Giants win, you post an image of yourself in Giants garb. If the Reds win (unlikely), I post an image of me in Reds garb.

Here's the infield fly rule folks. The umps made the correct call. Braves errors didn't help their cause, either
    “An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare "Infield Fly" for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder— not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.”
    A shortstop running to left field and trying to catch the ball over his should is not ordinary effort nor is easily handled. Furthermore the umpire did not immediately declare the ball an infield fly but waited until the ball was almost caught. If you watch the play again and consider what is ordinary effort and what is easily handled by a short stop and the requirement for the umpire to immediately call for an "infield fly" and not right before the ball landed then it is easy to conclude that this was a poor call. Also if it was an infield fly why did the left field umpire call it and not the third base umpire?

I do agree the Braves had several chances to win the game and this blown call could have had an impact on the outcome which is why baseball's ridiculous notion that umpires are infallible and needs to end. Getting it right is the most important thing for the sake of the sport.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Nov 2010, 12:25 PM
  2. Replies: 329
    Last post: 03 Nov 2010, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 228
    Last post: 06 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM
  4. Replies: 251
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 12:30 PM
  5. Replies: 338