Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning embankments

Registered
    Oct 2011

Planning embankments

Hello, thank you for reading this post.

Has anyone planned or heard, is familiar with river embankment or embankment planning? I would be grateful if you had some ideas referring to planning these embankments : information about books, links, e.t.c.. As I am new to this discpline, I started reading about Landscape architecture as it is, in my opinion, linked with embankment planning.

I would be glad if you could share some info of yours. Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm a little unclear as what exactly you're looking for. Are you talking about just developing along riverbanks or the actual development of levees and whatnot? For the latter, I'd say that's more civil engineering than landscape architecture.

I'd look into watershed management planning though. It deals with all the aspects of handling development without adversely affecting waterways. It's emphasis is on water pollution and fortunately there's a good amount of literature on the topic.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I believe he's talking about riverfront planning. I had to review a bunch of APA articles for the AICP exam, and they had one month where the entire issue seemed to be discussing just this issue. If you're a member, the article would have been sometime between mid-2009 and mid-2010 and is available on the APA web site.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Hello again!

I found the APA website which offers a variety of useful information. I also looked into watershed managment. Thank you for the replies very much.

So what I found was a book that came with a list when I typed riverside keyword into search field in APA website. The book is called "Ecological riverfront design". I am currently reading this book.
    I also have book called "Riverscapes : design of urban embankments". Maybe you've red any of these books or heard of?

Additional information for those who have some spare time : the project I was given is called : The managment and revegetation project of the embankment of a river.
    Now as I took a look into a book about Landscape architecture basics as a whole, my idea would be to look into books about rivers. The most important part for me, I guess, is finding that right way to do the project. Thank you again.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like others are still unsure exactly what you are looking for, but we have a huge project going on here.

http://www.ourearth.org/Articles/DetroitRiverFront.html

http://conference.healthylakes.org/t...ldlife-refuge/

http://www.fws.gov/Midwest/DetroitRiver/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    That topic sounds like you're looking into wetlands restoration but that doesn't necessarily have to encompass landscape architecture.

Is there a specific thing you're looking for with this project or is just some vague topic area that you're trying to figure out how to approach? Since what it sounds like what you're doing is multifaceted, I would try narrow the topic area down if you can. Like if you're interested in just the urban design component of it, focus on that and don't worry too much about the other stuff. Otherwise you may have a very large project on your hands.

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Hello, I now recon that I didn't indeed approached the topic more narrowly.

The project I was given is object's teritory managment and revegetation project. I chose "Managment and revegetation project of river's embankment."
    The project's main goal is to plan/manage river's embankment based on ecological, social, landscape architecture requirements and based upon the needs of society (sports, recreation...).

Nevertheless, the project includes the analysis of vegetation on the banks of the river, activities of peoples living on the river banks and its quality based on social, hygiene requirements and aesthetics,
    analysis of pedestrian traffic, and the embankment area whether it is living, working environment,e.t.c..

I should not necesserely follow these requirements. It can be a mixture of discplines of urban planning, landscape architecture, landscape design ( the arrangment of objects in the teritory such as outdoor tables, e.t.c composition is also mentioned in the project).

The main goal of the questioning is to find the way in which I can approach this project : if I have the things I need to I will study them. I've received some books mentioned above and I'm happy I have something material to read The goal is also becoming clearer. Thank you.

So to conclude, the project has its certain requirements, but it is also more like a work of art based upon many disciplines or just a few.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Try googling the term "streambank stabilization". I think you may find examples of what you need. I recall several guidebooks through the EPA and other sources.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2007, 5:41 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Feb 2006, 12:54 PM