Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article: 10 Apps (or so) That Every Planner Should Have

Registered
    Jan 2005

Article: Ten Apps (or so) that Every Planner Should Have

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It seems that Dr. Cowley beat me to it.... although my original idea was before that paper was published... I am sure she has been working on this for much longer http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1951069

Registered
    Sep 2012
    This is a nice collection - but I am wondering if there is potential for planners to develop their own types of apps that connect people, developments and useability - no real answer just a question.

It was interesting to see how quickly some apps become obsolete. Foursquare? My grandmother liked that a lot.

The best way for planners to get involved in an app is to first identify a need, then come up with app based solutions. There are some apps so important that I can't seem to remember how I survived without them such as the one that tells me when the next bus is coming or the app associated with my city's bike share program.

Some are broader than an app. Drop box seems to be a great way to share documents on a wide variety of platforms. Others, might be not all that useful or simply reinforce our inability to engage the public. Nothing would be worse to go to a public meeting and tell an angry crowd that you did do public outreach - using an obscure app no one heard of or wants.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Top 10 apps every planner must have
    Information Technology
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 10 Jul 2014, 2:52 PM
  2. Article about planner ethics
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 18 Oct 2013, 11:17 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 4:33 PM