Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Novice Urban planner from France

Registered
    Nov 2011

Novice Urban planner from France

Hi Cyburbians,

First of all, I apologize for my English which is a little bit poor, but i swear to do my best...

I'm living in France, and i'm a novice in Urban planning. It means that i'm working in an Urban Planning agency (since 8 months), and at the same time i'm studying at School (IUG : Institut d'Urbanisme de Grenoble) --> 3 weeks at work, and 1 week at school. I don't know if this kind of thing exists in the US, but it's a good way to learn the job.

I had also study philosophy (3 years), and i'm trying to apply it in Urban studies.

I'm coming on this board, because i'm curious to know how you consider Urbanism on the other side of the sea.
    Moreover, a lot of US projects and theories bring my attention, especially the "New urbanism" movement.

And if you have questions about Urbanism in france, it will be a pleasure to discuss with you.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! We are very glad to have you. Please take a look around and join in on some conversations. Feel free to check out the Student forum and if you really like the place consider join the ranks of the elite with a Cyburbian Plus membership.

Glad to have you!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2011
    We're quite close (Italy-France)! It would be very interesting if we could compare different planning systems and approaches to planning. In Italy, for example, planning is considered a procedure first of all: I mean that it seems to be more important to follow a procedure given by the law than to think planning as a real decision-making process which involves different people. Something is changing, because Regions are "making" new planning-laws but we don't have any national law in this direction. The first planning law was made in 1942 and we still use it!

Matteo

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Bonjour Plaplaton! Bien venue Cyburbia. Je parles un peu francais, pas tres bien, et ma grammaire es puante!

Whew, way to make me sweat there! And I'm not even positive that I spelled half of those words correctly. Nonetheless, welcome to Cyburbia.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Thanks everybody

Terrasapient i'm happy to see that you're speaking french, and your grammar is not bad. It's funny that you know the word "puante".

Matteo, indeed we are quite closed. My parents lived at 30km of the border France/Italy, and I've been a lot of times in Italy. Great Country and great People
    The situation you described is quite the same in France. During a lot of time it was only the State which decide of all urbanisation and planning. It's only in 1982, with the "décentralisation" laws, that Region and cities acquire the skill of planning. So things slowly evolved, but there is still a strong power of the central state. The central state continue to decide of the common objectives through national laws, and then the cities and regions decide of their own way to reach the objectives. It's due do the french history but i'm going to be boring for a lot of people...
    However, new ideas appear and things are on the right way.

It could be interesting to creat a post to present how we do planning in europeans countries. In my opinion North european countries are in advance, and we have to learn of them.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 2:13 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Jun 2009, 3:54 PM
  3. hello from a novice
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 May 2008, 11:38 AM
  4. To be or not to be an urban planner
    Career Development and Advice