Urban planning community

Poll results: Which best describes your opinion concerning Star Wars vs Star Trek franchises

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Trek Roolz Star Warz Droolz

7 35.00%
  • Star Wars Roolz and Star Trek Droolz

7 35.00%
  • They both Rool/Drool

0 0%
  • Why do you hate the galaxy?

6 30.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek vs Star Wars/ Fisher vs Shatner Smackdown

Registered
    Feb 2004

Star Trek vs Star Wars/ Fisher vs Shatner Smackdown

Troubles a' brewin' and geek battle lines are being drawn. Where do your loyalties lie? Choose sides and let the battle begin!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Star Trek rules!

I am definitely in the Star Trek camp. It is a bit more cerebral. The storyline spreads over decades. And the villains are so much better - the slimy Cardassians, the comical Ferrengi, the inscrutable Romulans, the warlike Klingons and the almost unstoppable Borg.

What kind of villains does Star Wars have? A tall dude in a mask and cape with asthma and an evil Empire that gets their ass handed to them by a bunch of pre-Bronze Age teddy bears with teeth, a whinny teenager with daddy issues, and a wizened midget with dyslexia.

While I enjoyed Princess Leia in her iconic golden bikini, Seven of Nine in a catsuit is way hotter.

But I will concede that light saber duels are pretty damn cool, and that Jedi mind trick would be handy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    While I enjoyed Princess Leia in her iconic golden bikini, Seven of Nine in a catsuit is way hotter.
    I don't know if you've seen recent pics of her, but perhaps her long captivity with Jabba the Hut has begun to rub off on her.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Star Wars' extended universe is pretty fleshed out. The recent extended universe stuff is much better than the prequel movies. Like the Clone Wars cartoon or the Knights of the Old Republic video game franchise are all very good.

As for the question, I'd have to go with Star Wars. I've always liked the scale of Star Wars which made the whole thing feel more epic to me. Star Trek always felt kind of mundane compared to what I saw in Star Wars. The epic battles just don't occur very much in Star Trek since they're usually not engaged in open warfare. The Star Trek universe is a lot more peaceful than the Star Wars one.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I have one word... Yoda. Even Spock would bow down to the Jedi Master.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Troubles a' brewin' and geek battle lines are being drawn. Where do your loyalties lie? Choose sides and let the battle begin!
    Best. Article. Ever.

It sounds like a laundry detergent
    I love the galaxy!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I am definitely in the Star Trek camp. It is a bit more cerebral. The storyline spreads over decades. And the villains are so much better - the slimy Cardassians, the comical Ferrengi, the inscrutable Romulans, the warlike Klingons and the almost unstoppable Borg.
    I feel the same way. Star Trek also brought up alot more social themes during it's episodes, which I think helped the franchise.

Star Trek all the way. My dad sat me down when I was an infant to watch the original series. It spawned how many movies and tv series? It delved into social/racial/plotical/sexual issues. It spent 40+years pushing the envelope. Star Wars, and lets face it, the first 3 movies were the best. The final 3 were an anti-climatic push to end we all knew. Their only redeeming feature was that Greek Tragedy feel to them.. I liked the grand sweep of the movies and Yoda was great. However, Star Trek presented us worlds we wanted to live in. They gave us hope that we could overcome the problems that dog us to this day.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2002

What kind of villains does Star Wars have? A tall dude in a mask and cape with asthma and an evil Empire that gets their ass handed to them by a bunch of pre-Bronze Age teddy bears with teeth, a whinny teenager with daddy issues, and a wizened midget with dyslexia.

I disagree and believe Star Wars is better. More epic. I mean, Tribbles? Please. Riardo Montelban as a villian? Please. A gangster planet? Ple ... never mind. But I do agree about Seven of Nine.

And you misspelled "Kardashian"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Star Trek. Hey, I grew up with the original series and my dad and I watched it every week and rest of the family thought we were nuts. I loved the first 3 Star Wars movies (in the order in which they were released) but the last 3 were, well, not so much fun. Dull, boring, overblown on special effects comes to mind.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I disagree and believe Star Wars is better. More epic. I mean, Tribbles? Please.
    What's wrong with Tribbles?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    The question I have pondered about the original Star Trek series was this: Was Scotty the best engineer in Star Fleet or the worst? Seemed whenever Kirk needed the Enterprise to escape quickly, Scotty was yelling "I cahn't get any powaar, Capt'in." Klingons are attacking, and the shields are down and the photon torpedoes are not working . Oh sure at the last possible minute, Scotty pulls it together and they get away or give the enemy a broadside of firepower, but it can't look good on his performance evaluation.

Is he an engineering genius or an incompetent career soldier?

Or maybe it isn't his fault. Maybe when the ship was to be designed and constructed, Fiat was the low bidder.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Shatner is/was a tool.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    What's wrong with Tribbles?
    What's wrong with Tribbles?!? Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a veterinarian.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Shatner is/was a tool.

But a very entertaining one.

Anyone ever hear that clip of Shatner in studio recording a commercial or something where the engineer tried to tell him he was doing it wrong? Classic Shatner.

He's kind of an oxymoron... a sort of charismatic jerkwad.

That said, you people are NUTZ for thinking Star Trek is even comparable to Star Wars.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I disagree and believe Star Wars is better. More epic. I mean, Tribbles? Please. Riardo Montelban as a villian? Please. A gangster planet? Ple ... never mind. But I do agree about Seven of Nine.

I really need you to take back what you said about Ricardo Montelban. I just do. And I think that as penance he should be your avatar for one week.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I really need you to take back what you said about Ricardo Montelban. I just do. And I think that as penance he should be your avatar for one week.
    "The plane! The plane!"
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Star Wars! Pah! "Oh I am so mixed up. Daddy cut off my hand and I almost french-kissed my sister."

I like real villians who are bad to the bone. Darth had promise, but in the end, without any real explanation or motive, he figures out he's on the losing end and switches teams.

At least Khan went down like a man cursing his enemy in defeat and definace, rather than turning into a p**sy,

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    I didn't realize there were so many nerds around this place. Are we gonna start playing Dungeons & Dragons soon? Geez!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    At least Khan went down like a man cursing his enemy in defeat and definace, rather than turning into a p**sy,
    Someone needs to tell that Moby Dick quotin' mofo he was further ahead hawking "genuine Corinthian leather" (need an oldster here to provide us with the appropriate youtube link)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I didn't realize there were so many nerds around this place. Are we gonna start playing Dungeons & Dragons soon? Geez!!!
    Next they'll be debating the relative merits of light sabers vs. the sword of Azeroth.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm on the side of Star Trek. For the simple fact that the volume of "filmed" product produced by the franchise outweighs the volume from Star Wars, and that volume has the effect of creating a 2:10 ratio of bad to good for Star Trek, where Star Wars is at about even for bad to good output (Ep 4-6 = good, Ep.1-3 = bad).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    So this is really about the difference in vision of the future between Gene Roddenberry vs George Lucas.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    So this is really about the difference in vision of the future between Gene Roddenberry vs George Lucas.

Pfft. You know nothing, clearly. Star Wars was based in the past, duh! Didn't you like go to college?!?!?!
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post
    Pfft. You know nothing, clearly. Star Wars was based in the past, duh! Didn't you like go to college?!?!?!
    Do you know nothing about parallel universes, quantum mechanics and string theory? If it existed in the past, it also exists in the future...duh
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Star Trek - worth full price?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 16 Apr 2012, 8:53 AM
  2. Star Trek Nerd Alert
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Apr 2009, 8:56 PM