Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your Turkeyday Story thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Growing up, Thanksgiving Day involved driving the 1 hour to my maternal grandparents' house where the extended family all gathered. The day centered around the Lion's game. The feast was strategically planned to begin at halftime of the game, then we would watch the rest of the game. After the game, and the cleanup, the cousins would play outside. As we got older, we would have mini-football games with the uncles. The day typically ended with some card playing. I really miss those days at my grandparent's house. I'm not close to any of my cousins anymore. They are some of the fondest memories of my childhhood.

When my grandparents could no longer host, my mom and her 2 sisters would take turns hosting. But as the grandkids (my generation) started getting older, the gatherings became much smaller and often would not occur at all.

After I met my now wife, I became a part of their tradition for a few years. Her family and their mom's parents would drive down to the Evansville, IN area for the T-Day weekend. That tradition pretty much came to a halt when my wife's parents got a divorce shortly after we got married.

When we bought our place in West Michgan, we decided that Thanksgiving was going to be the one holiday that we would not travel. So the tradition began that my FIL would come over and deep fry a turkey. Others would attend, depending on their availabilty - my parents, my BILs and SIL. We would eat and drink all day and into the early eveining. We usually ended the day watching movies. Last year, my wife and a friend partook in Black Thursday festivities. I enjoyed those days greatly.

Now we don't have our own place, but we've basically shifted our tradition of the last 6 years to my parent's house, where we are staying at the moment. This year, it will be the same cast of characters, just at my parent's house.

I really love Thanksgiving.
    Now that we have our own place, we are once again hosting a Thanksgiving meal. My FIL, BIL and his GF and one of my friends will be coming over. We asked my parents what they were doing a month or so ago and my mom apparently invited my aunts and uncles to her place, since my wife and I have our "tradition". Now, my aunts and uncles live 10-15 minutes from me and 45 minutes from my parents house. My aunts and uncles would prefer to come to our place but for some reason my mom is set on having it at her place.

I understand her wanting to have it, but we were never even included in the conversation, and my mom knows that my wife and I enjoy entertaining.

After almost 10 years of living 2-3 hours away, I don't think my mom is use to us being so close.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It looks like this Thanksgiving will be similar to last year in terms of family attendance. I think we will make more of an effort this year to invite a few people who may not have family in the area or anywhere to go for Thanksgiving.

Will definitely watch the Lions. Will definitely watch the Macy parade with Junior in the morning and maybe a little of the Westminster dog show.
    I am really looking forward to all the traditional Thanksgiving Day foods. This year we will once again make Bear Up North's famous stuffing recipe.

When I was a kid I saw an animated Thanksgiving special on tv about a mouse that came over on the Mayflower. I haven't seen it on tv for decades, I wonder if it's still out there somewhere because I'd like Junior to get the chance to watch it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    The first year that my wife & I were married, Thanksgiving dinner was at our house. Both my parents and the FIL were invited and accepted. My parents arrived first and we waited for her father...and waited...and waited. Couldn't reach him by phone and thought he must have had car trouble. Finally my wife called his neighbor and asked them to check in on him. He had died during the night. It's been almost 30 years now and that's still the worst Thanksgiving. We're going to have dinner and football at my son & daughter-in-law's house celebrating my grandson's 1st Thanksgiving. Sure hope they don't have the same experience that we had.
    2012 Update: Same thing except it's over 30 years now and will be my grandson's 2nd Thanksgiving. Just to add a little drama, sometimes my ex comes down for holidays. We never know until we get there. Doesn't bother me but it's still awkward for current Mrs. ofos. BTW, my son tells me that the ex still bad mouths me after all these years. She's got another ex, you'd think she would have moved on to him by now.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It's going to be a great big Thanksgiving this year. My immediate family is big enough, but my Mom (sensing I think that it may be one of Dad's last Thanksgivings) has invited the my crazy uncles as well. They're so much fun. Also, every family out here in Utah seems to have a set of what we call "Back East Cousins". I kid you not. Mine live in Virginia, my wife's live in Kentucky. My favorite Virginia Cousin is out west for a while and will be there as well.

I want you to imagine "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and then make them all blonde (and actually more prone to be potty-mouthed) and you'll have my family's Thanksgiving.

I....Cannot.....Wait....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Doing thanksgiving at my own house this year. The wife's parents, her grandmothers, and one of her aunts are all coming over. I am cooking the Turkey, Stuffing, and Potatoes.

I have a feeling that her dad and I will be spending a good part of the day with a beer in one hand avoiding everyone else.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hubby and I and the two big doggies will be driving to my in-laws in Wisconsin for Turkey Day. We were supposed to be participating in a 5-mile Turkey Trot in the morning but now that's not going to happen. I like my in-laws but being stuck in a house with them with two large dogs (when my MIL is a neat freak) is going to be a challenge. I think I need a refill on my painkillers.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh Story Thread. Take 3.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 204
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 5:20 PM
  2. The Story Thread. Take 2.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 183
    Last post: 17 Oct 2012, 3:36 PM
  3. What is a story?