Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Christmas & New Years Holiday & Vacation Time Off

Registered
    Jun 2003

Christmas & New Years Holiday & Vacation Time Off

I have friday and monday off for both,
    and taking the 4 days before and 3 day in-between off.

Going to spend Xmas in California and New Years here in Indiana.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Get Christmas Eve, Christmas, Day-after Christmas, and New Years off. Since Christmas and New Years are on a Sunday, those days off are pushed to Monday this year.

As for vacation, no idea exactly what I'm doing yet I'll probably go out and visit some family for a week or so though.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We get December 26th off for Christmas and we shut down at noon on December 22nd for our Christmas bash that night. I haven't decided if the 23rd or the 30th will be my last day of work before taking off for maternity leave. I'd rather have a full pay period check come in early January in the case that the state is slow to process my short term disability claim for maternity leave.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    I get the week off between X-mas and New Year's. The office stays open that week and the staff takes turns taking either that week or the following week off. Pretty sweet. And its not part of my PTO accrual, so I still have that to hang on to as well.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not taking any time off other than what my employer grants me. It's a slow time of year. I usually stay in the office and cover for my staff to take additional time off.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Our union contract only gets us Christmas Day (observed on the 26th) and New Years Day (observed on the 2nd) off from work. But, I like to hoard my time until the end of the year. So I will be out of the office beginning December 19th and not returning until Jan. 3rd. I also have one more vacation day to use between now and the end of the year, I'm thinking this Friday. Add to that the 3 days next week when I'll be in NYC and I only have 10 more days in the office this year. Yay. Normally I really look forward to my time off around the holidays, not so much this year. Not feeling very festive.

I'm also carrying 5 vacation days over until next year.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    We get Dec 23 off plus the week between Christmas and New Years and January 2 as well. The college will reopen on Jan 3 but since faculty and students don't come back until the middle of the month, a lot of staff take time off in early January. If I was planning on going somewhere, I would do that, too, but I'm kind of tied to town because of my very ancient dog who has never boarded well.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    At my private sector job in a real estate office, with the way the holidays fall this year, I think we only get the Monday after Christmas (Dec. 26) off and the Monday after New Year's (Jan. 2) off as holidays.

I'm taking Dec. 21 - 23 off as vacation, which combined with the weekend and the holiday observed Dec. 26, will give me a six-day weekend. I'll get a 3-day weekend for New Year's. Not bad for a guy in his first year in a full-time job. And a heckuva lot better than last year at my overnight retail job, when I worked Thanksgiving night/Black Friday, Christmas Day night, and rang in the New Year at work.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We generally get Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day off of work as paid holidays but because the holidays fall on the weekends, we only get the Mondays after Christmas and New Year's off as holidays. I'm not really complaining but when you are used to both days off with pay, it is sort of a kick in the teeth. Luckily I don't work on Fridays anyway, so it's not too big of a deal.

Our employer gives us the option to take any time off between December 8th and January 3rd without pay if we want to (we can of course use our vacation time if we want to as well). Each year I always say that I'm going to request the max off but I never do - I take maybe an extra day somewhere between Christmas and New Year's. This year though I'm already regretting not putting in a request for a big block of leave so next year may be the year I actually do. In the end, I sort of like being in the office that time of year though since it's pretty empty and it gives me a chance to catch up on a lot of busy work like database maintenance that I neglect all year and there is not much to distract me from it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004

Office conversation last Christmas Eve

"You'll want all day tomorrow, I suppose?" said the Boss.

"If quite convenient, sir."

"It's not convenient," said the Boss, "and it's not fair. If I was to stop half a crown for it, you'd think yourself ill-used, I'll be bound?"

Maister smiled faintly.

"And yet," said the Boss, "you don't think me ill-used, when I pay a day's wages for no work."

Maister observed that it was only once a year.

"A poor excuse for picking a man's pocket every twenty fifth of December!" said the Boss, buttoning his great-coat to the chin. "But I suppose you must have the whole day. Be here all the earlier next morning."

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Maister, is your boss related to Ebeneezer?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jul 2012, 1:12 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last post: 07 Dec 2011, 10:12 PM
  3. Going to London for vacation/holiday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Dec 2010, 8:45 AM
  4. Christmas & New Years Time Off
    Friday Afternoon Club