Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A new entertainment zone district

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

A new entertainment zone district

As some of you may know, my jurisdiction has been sued in Federal court challenging our adult-oriented business (AOB) ordinance. Mediation failed but the litigation is pending. As we vowed at the end of mediation, we’ve been working diligently and in good faith with the plaintiff to identify appropriate locations for the business. In a meeting with the plaintiff’s attorney today, we stumbled upon a potential solution: we tossed the idea around of creating a new zone district (I suggested we name it the “C-X”, Entertainment Zone District), that would preempt our AOB ordinance and allow the business. The new zone district’s allowed uses would include AOBs, tattoo parlors, bars, nightclubs, and other similar uses and contain performance standards written in such a fashion that the code would still significantly restrict their potential locations. Here’s the twist: one of the performance standards would require the new zone district be located in an area that is predominately developed with nightclubs, bars, cabarets, and the like, yet still require a minimum separation between AOBs (1,500 feet). See the difference? Separating AOB uses but restricting them to areas developed with bars and nightclubs.

Yes, a specific site has been identified.

Does anyone have experience in this area they’d like to share or links to ordinances that impose similar restrictions? Please don’t post links to AOB ordinances; those are easy to find. My direction is to create a new zone district. I’ve just started my research and will share what I discover.

Let’s not turn this thread into a discussion on the merits or non-merits of this constitutionally protected form of expression.

Thanks for any leads you can provide.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I only dealt with the issue once. We chose to allow adult oriented uses in the M-2 Heavy Manufacturing zone. Part of the logic behind that was that the zone would offer appropriate separation from residential uses, schools, and other uses that might be negatively impacted by the use. Another consideration was that there was a single M-2 district in the community, with a third of the land owned by a utility, a third owned by the city, and most of the remainder owned by the EDC. Allowed, but unlikely.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    RJ, I'd like to see how this pans out for you, please keep us updated.
    In my previous place of employment our AOB was established just as what Cardinal explained with exception of ownership. Use AOB uses were allowed in the M-2 (limited space) with a special use permit and distance requirements between AOB's. This worked well for the extremely conservative jurisdiction (both commission and citizenry) as conditions were always placed upon these special use permits.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've searched for more than a day and haven't been able find anything that fits what we're looking for. It appears I'll be drafting something on the fly and meeting with our lawyer and management to review. We'll be on the bleeding edge again.

I'll keep you in the loop with our results.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Jan 2012, 5:58 PM
  2. Automobile Entertainment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Jan 2006, 7:55 PM
  3. Streetcars as Entertainment
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 10 Dec 2003, 12:08 PM