Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oil and gas ordinance - defining compatibility

Registered
    Dec 2011

Oil and gas ordinance - defining compatibility

I'm working with a county government in New Mexico and they need some help defining “compatible use” for oil and gas drilling. The county is updating their oil and gas ordinance and is stuck coming up with a definition that the community agrees with. Any ideas?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mpadilla View post
    I'm working with a county government in New Mexico and they need some help defining “compatible use” for oil and gas drilling. The county is updating their oil and gas ordinance and is stuck coming up with a definition that the community agrees with. Any ideas?
    Not sure if this is helpful or obvious or not, as I'm not really involved in this issue, but there are at least a dozen cities and counties in Colo going thru this right now: Adams Co, Brighton, Commerce City, Rifle, Superior, Fredrick, Douglas Co, Greeley off the top of my head.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not surprisingly, places in North Dakota and Montana are also dealing with the issue. I would echo ColoGI's suggestion to look at communities in the Denver area. Within developed areas, the key seems to be separation with large buffers.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Santa Barbara County (CA) has oil and gas drilling, and the County Land Use & Development Code specifies which zones drilling, production, treatment, processing, refining, and pipelines are allowed. Compatible uses include agriculture, commercial, manufacturing, recreation, and rural residential. The LUDC is located here:
    http://www.sbcountyplanning.org/pdf/...2011Update.pdf

Chapter 35.52 deals with oil and gas facilities in the inland areas, it might be of help.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Dec 2011, 4:07 PM
  2. Neighborhood compatibility
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Feb 2009, 9:17 AM
  3. Zoning compatibility analysis
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 May 2001, 4:11 PM