Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article: Some smaller airports are losing flights or service entirely

Cyburbian Plus
    Jun 2003

Article: Some smaller airports are losing flights or service entirely

The Airports Council International says 27 small airports in the continental United States, including St. Cloud, Minn., and Oxnard, Calif., have lost service from well-known commercial airlines over the past two years. More shutdowns are planned.
    Related article: http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...ports/?print=1

This will be a hot debate - Airline operating profitability or national debt reduction or rural/small city economic survival ?
    Last edited by JNA; 26 Nov 2011 at 11:32 AM.

Aug 2001
    The Cheese State
    This is not at all unexpected, and I really do anticipate a huge wave of cuts in the next two to three years. America's small town airports receive massive subsidies to build facilities that are almost never used, and the airlines receive giant subsidies to fly planes that would otherwise be unprofitable. Some of these airports/routes are simply too close to other major airports. Is it really that far from St. Cloud to Minneapolis? Or do we really need commercial flights from airports in Green Bay, Appleton, and Oshkosh?

I have worked with many rural economic development agencies that always think it is so imperitive for them to have commercial flights at their airport. That one flight a day inot Podunk is (in their mind) critical for the businesses there and gives them so much prestige as a place big enough to have commercial service. The only problem is that once I begin talking to the businesses, they consistently tell me there generate very little airline traffic and that it is more convenient to drive to miles to Metropolitan City Airport, rather than wait around half a day, make extra connections, and have to deal with scehduling around that one flight out of Podunk.

Of course the reality is that we would be much better served by a well rounded transportation system that relied on passenger rail, rather than autos or feeder airports, to move people from the hinterland to cities large enough to make flying commercially viable. But we know where one party stands on that issue.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Mar 2004
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Last I heard, commercial passenger airline service to Appleton (ATW) and Green Bay (GRB) is not subsidized while Oshkosh (OSH) has no scheduled passenger airline service and is GA (general aviation) and charters only. Among the airports in Wisconsin that are 'EAS' (Essential Air Services) subsidized, two that I am aware of are Eau Claire (EAU) and Rhinelander (RHI). Delta's feeder service recently stopped flying to RHI, leaving only Frontier. Both locations are within easy driving range of other non-subsidized airports (MSP and CWA, respectively) and are likely on the list for being cut off.

From what I am aware of, many of these places are only being served/subsidized because of the 'bring home the pork' efforts of one or more powerful politicians.

Mar 2004
    Where the weak are killed and eaten.
    In a huge part of the country all they have are podunk airports. I would suspect that this would be a huge issue for states in the plains such as Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa.... Its also a big ussue for sparsely populated Northern Michigan as there is only one city of any size with service and its in the Northwest Lower Penninsula. I am sure the Western side could be serviced by Duluth or Green Bay, but what happens to places like Alpena, Marquette? The Soo may be able to get service from Canada, but the US airlines won't fly there.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Mar 2013, 9:16 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 May 2012, 4:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2010, 3:54 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Aug 2004, 7:43 PM