Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Top Ten Myths about Sign Code Deregulation

Registered
    Jan 2005

Top Ten Myths about Sign Code Deregulation

Let us start a list with the most common (or outrageous) lines given to a planner about why a sign code should be weakened. I will start:

- Your community should be more business friendly.
    - Billboards are not dangerous. A study from the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute in 2007 supports this.
    - My business cannot be viewed from the highway (when the business is no where near a highway).
    - The sign your community approved in 1972 is bigger than what I am asking for. It isn't fair.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2010
    "I already spent $10,000 on this sign and one of the Planning Commissioners told me it would be fine. You have to approve it."

or

"I'm losing thousands of dollars because your city won't allow me to advertise."
    Last edited by HomerJ; 23 Nov 2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If you allow me a bigger sign, local consumers will spend more money at my store. never mind I am competing with other businesses for these same finite consumer dollars.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    These Electronic LED Message Boards serve a critical need in times of emergency and communicating information to the public.

________________ business will refuse to locate in your city because of your sign code.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Bigger signs will lead to increased safety because motorists won't be distracted trying to find businesses.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Snipe signs in the right-of-way from production builders are essential to selling new homes.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Electronic message centers should be allowed everywhere because they can condense the messages for several signs into one, eliminating clutter.

If people don't like bright lighting of signs, they shouldn't live so close to commercial areas.

It puts signmakers out of business.

It infringes upon the first amendment freedom of speech.

Text messaging is much more dangerous than electronic message centers - thus, until cell phones are banned, signs should be allowed.
    "In our profession, a plan that everyone dislikes for different reasons is a success. A plan everyone dislikes for the same reason is a failure. And a plan that everyone likes for the same reason is an act of God." - Richard Carson

Registered
    Jan 2006
    peeps LOVE our signs!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    peeps LOVE our signs!
    These signs
    We gladly
    Dedicate
    To men who've had
    No date of late
    Burma-Shave
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The deadline is going to be Wednesday, so get your ideas in!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    (fill in community) drove out all the mom and pop retailers, due to their overly restrictive sign codes. It stifles entrepreneurship.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    You're only denying this permit because I'm a ___(Insert ethnic group, religious persuasion, etc.)__.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If you don't apporve my sign it will hurt the children...THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I purchased this property and it has zero visibility from the street (*somehow that wasn't the case when he/she bought the property?*). It's your city's fault no one can see my business!
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    My original (grandfathered) sign fell down so I should be able to replace it with whatever I want.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    We need those banners and streamers at our used car place. If I have to take them down people will think it is a parking lot.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    A-frame signs always bring in more people and cars when i place them at the intersection
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interesting Sign Code example
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Oct 2011, 3:16 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Jun 2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Satan's sign code
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21